Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Great value for money garage security!
carpmart

posted on 21/1/09 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Great value for money garage security!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUTOLOK-COMPACT-REMOVABLE-SECURITY-POST-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ260349461801QQihZ016QQcategoryZ15329QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksid Zp1742.m153.l1262

Just bought two of these! They have turned up and they are pretty good quality and certainly represent excellent value for money.

They are being installed just inside behind the garage doors as an extra security measure. I decided inside is best as I am not sure that I want to draw attention to the fact that I am trying to secure the garages!

Anyway, they are another physical security measure which will help me rest a little easier!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Z20let Corsa

posted on 21/1/09 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
i appreciate you dont want to draw attention to your garage but surely inside they can still force the door open and take anything they can carry. where as outside they couldnt actually open the door at all. (assuming you have a up and over door???
Mr Whippy

posted on 21/1/09 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
good idea though with all those tools around they may just take your car out in component form

Another tip is to switch off the power to the garage at night or when away on hols so no one can use the grinder/drills etc on any chains / posts and the like. I fitted a large cooker switch (yes it say garage not cooker ) on the wall next to the fuse box for that purpose.

[Edited on 21/1/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carpmart

posted on 21/1/09 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Z20let Corsa
i appreciate you dont want to draw attention to your garage but surely inside they can still force the door open and take anything they can carry. where as outside they couldnt actually open the door at all. (assuming you have a up and over door???

Good point but protecting against the loss of a few tools or other 'sundry' garage content, wasn't the objective!

The doors are protected with various covert locking points meaning that the doors would be pretty tough to force open but nothing is impossible. The primary reason for buying the posts is to stop anyone getting my Fury out easily and taking the Drakart from the other side of the garage. The Fury is tucked away in one corner of the garage so I will put one post directly behind this car and use the other post to block the inside of the other garage door.

Using these inside the garage, it keeps it low key rather than giving the 'opportunist' thief a 'challenge'! These little scrotums love nothing more that to have a challenge and the 'lets see if we can break in there' mentality can appear! I'm sure you know what I mean!

How far does one go? I think that's my lot now!

'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8

whitestu

posted on 21/1/09 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Another tip is to switch off the power to the garage at night or when away on hols so no one can use the grinder/drills etc on any chains / posts and the like.

That's a good idea, but assuming that most garages that need to be protected have an alarm then a seperate feed would be needed to supply it.

Stu

BenB

posted on 21/1/09 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
My security option of choice is

A) removable steering wheel

B) big ground anchor at the back of the car secured into concrete floor. Big bike chain attaching to rear towing eye

C) big F.off alarm system

So although theoretically someone could break in, rummage through my garage to find my angle grinder, do some more searching to find the grinder spanner to swap the flap disc to a cutting disc (never can find that spanner!!!) etc etc, all the time the 3 alarms going, 2 strobes and smoke bomb going off I think it's unlikely. Particularly as my flat is overlooked by a huge block of flats so that about 40 appartments full of precious Norf Londoners who would certainly kick off if said alarm system went off.... They complain enough when I just drive my car down the alleyway into the garage....

Meeerrrk

posted on 21/1/09 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
the ting is, where do you stop?

you dont want the place to look like fort knocks, as someone will certainly think "oh, must be something worth knicking in there" but there again you dont want it to be easy for them.

to be honest i dont think a locost would be stolen that often, they are locost after all, and they are very unique so hard to sell on. I have just started renting a garage and i have a padlock on the main built in locking mechanism, but i am thinking of fitting another small lock of somekind; something that bolts into the wall or the floor i think. Nothing that jumps out and says "COME HAVE A LOOK, THERES SOMETHING I WANT TO PROTECT IN HERE"
just my 2p

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

johnston

posted on 21/1/09 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
We have a very good home security system at home.

cost 35 quid including licencse

Its about 8 stone big teeth and great with kids!!!

Not so good with strangers who jump the back fence..

or assholes who threaten the mrs

carpmart

posted on 21/1/09 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnston
We have a very good home security system at home.

cost 35 quid including licencse

Its about 8 stone big teeth and great with kids!!!

Not so good with strangers who jump the back fence..

or assholes who threaten the mrs

What happens when the security system goes out for the day?

'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8

JoelP

posted on 21/1/09 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
i believe you can buy blank firing landmines and tripwire bombs, would love to have some of these.

I constantly have the security of my van on my mind. Not sure how best to go about it TBH.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.