Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Single brake disk rear axle
Mr Whippy

posted on 21/1/09 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Single brake disk rear axle

Out of curiosity if a disk brake was fitted to a diff which also had the handbrake function.

Would that pass the SVA/IVA/MOT? I was wondering if they tested both rear wheels together or just one at a time, which with that setup would not give equal braking. Is this setup more prone to spinning? (as in whole car round a corner...)

ta

[Edited on 21/1/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 21/1/09 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember alfas and lotus having inboard brakes however they where on the driveshafts after the diff. Me thinks this system of a single brake unit is used in truck in a voith retarder system

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/1/09 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
I seem to remember alfas and lotus having inboard brakes however they where on the driveshafts after the diff. Me thinks this system of a single brake unit is used in truck in a voith retarder system

yeah ta, jag gear has them inboard on each rear drive shaft, but I notice some BEC's appear to have a disk on the diff and was wondering is thats all they have or is it just for the handbrake?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 21/1/09 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
sonds dodgy, and a good way of accelerating the wear on the diff, and if that breaks - no brakes.

[Edited on 21/1/09 by r1_pete]

mcerd1

posted on 21/1/09 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
landrovers have one parking brake on the back of the gearbox

the drums / discs at the wheels don't have any handbrake

[Edited on 21/1/09 by mcerd1]

nick205

posted on 21/1/09 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Whip you're sure asking a host of BEC type questions of late

yellow melos

posted on 21/1/09 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
They check the read brakes and hand brake independently ( well they are ment to ) and then a balance test on both sides.
britishtrident

posted on 21/1/09 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
It is called a transmision brake -- they were used service brakes on car up until the mid 1920s, pretty sure they are no longer legal as service brakes. --- ask anyone who has driven a car from the 1920s they will tell you they are nasty horrible things.

As parking brakes they have been used by Jeep, Land-Rover and a few other 4x4 manufacturers.

A transmision handbrake is normally tested the old fashioned way with a Tapley meter as they can't properly be tested on rollers.

[Edited on 21/1/09 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/1/09 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
cheers didn't think it was road legal

johnston

posted on 22/1/09 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
I was reading somewhere that the mk2 rally brigade had started getting around the handbrake at mot problem by,

Fitting a disc and cable caliper from a mountain bike between the prop and diff flange. Havent seen it done so dunno if its 100% cosher or if it will work for sva. But if linked into the hydraulic lever and who's gonna know what effect it has. It ticks the mechanical brakes box.

Needless to say it probably drops off soon after mot anyway

MikeRJ

posted on 22/1/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnston
I was reading somewhere that the mk2 rally brigade had started getting around the handbrake at mot problem by,

They've been getting around the MOT problem for ages by just leaving the cables connected to the original handbrake.

johnston

posted on 22/1/09 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
No good but if you've not got handbraked calipers..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.