Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Most common BEC engine sizes POLL
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/1/09 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Most common BEC engine sizes POLL

Hey

What’s the most common size of BEC engine fitted (obviously this information is for a deluded friend who doesn't appreciated the sound of a v6...)

Also would a 600cc BEC engine be large enough for a single seater like in Chris’s new book? Seeing that its for just a 80kg driver…

I'll have to have a word with this friend and lead him away from the dark side

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paul the 6th

posted on 22/1/09 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
apparently mr g's new motor is fireblade powered (900cc-1000cc)?

If you consider 600cc in a modern sportsbike about 170-180kgs, can nail 0-60 in about 3 seconds with good top speeds of 150ish, stick it in a car which weighs 3 times as much, I'd imagine it'd still be fast but the litre sportsbikes engines notoriously have much more torque lower down than the 600's, which in my mind would be more suitable/compensate for the weight of the car?

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Benzine

posted on 22/1/09 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
obviously this information is for a deluded friend

Sack him as a friend. Give him a painting of a spitfire and let him go

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/1/09 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul the 6th

If you consider 600cc in a modern sportsbike about 170-180kgs, can nail 0-60 in about 3 seconds with good top speeds of 150ish, stick it in a car which weighs 3 times as much, I'd imagine it'd still be fast but the litre sportsbikes engines notoriously have much more torque lower down than the 600's, which in my mind would be more suitable/compensate for the weight of the car?

Thanks a good answer, though there is talk of the single seater being less than 400kg which seems pretty light. Is a 1000cc engine not just asking for trouble in daily use, fine for racing but in traffic, taking to work, not a bit OTT? I'd also have thought 600cc engines would be very cheap and more readily available.

cloudy

posted on 22/1/09 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote

www.warnercars.com

Hammerhead

posted on 22/1/09 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
I've put 1000cc as most common. However if you had asked 'which engine would you use in the single seater' I would say 1200cc or something like a busa or zx14r (most likely be a busa in the one I'm considering)

Steve.

cd.thomson

posted on 22/1/09 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
has anyone else noticed that Mr Whippys threads are becoming increasingly BEC orientated?

Craig

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/1/09 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
has anyone else noticed that Mr Whippys threads are becoming increasingly BEC orientated?

no, you must be imagining it

Hellfire

posted on 22/1/09 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
It was only a matter of time. Same goes for all the other CEC boys (and girls).......

Phil

dinosaurjuice

posted on 22/1/09 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
IMO for a BEC with an engine size of about 600 it would have to be a v-twin or V4. maybe not quite the same peak power but a much better torque spread than a I4.

a honda VFR 800 would probably be ideal...

will

handyandy

posted on 22/1/09 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
i,m considering building the single seater with a vfr750 v4 motor, should be enough power & not too much to get me into trouble.
idea being a, i,ve got the bike so its free & b, exhausts on either side of the car, what do you think? i know i,d have to have two collecter boxes but shouldn,t be a problem.
or am I just dreaming????

andy

hoots_min

posted on 22/1/09 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Got a 900cc fireblade in mine, but if I was to do it again, busa or ZX14.

Great thing with the 600cc is they can be very high revving. ONe of the guys on the hillclimb/sprint circuit up here is very very competitive in his 600cc honda engine single seater. Very reliable engine too and cheap for parts.

Today is a good day: I achieved new heights of ineptitude.

cd.thomson

posted on 22/1/09 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
I think I stand in nomansland in the BEC/CEC debate.

I'm building my dax rush with a redtop which should hopefully be finished by next winter/spring and I wouldnt even dream of putting a BE in it. I cant wait to drive about in what will probably be a torque monster (esp once its supercharged).

Once this is finished I'd be very interested in building something "locost" as the Rush isnt truely. This single seater fits the bill and I definitely wouldnt want anything other than an ZX12R/ZX14R in it.

Craig

Triton

posted on 22/1/09 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Sidecar outfits used to run plenty quick enough with two blokes and the best engine in the world......a 500cc 2 stroke Then the F2's ran with 350cc twins and were still bloody quick...hard work maybe to keep them revving but heyo they were the days.........

Shame all gone over to 4 knockerthings but heyo they are still better than a car engine

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

neilj37

posted on 22/1/09 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
The Aprilla V Twin RSV1000 would work really well in the single seater
Richard Quinn

posted on 22/1/09 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
Sidecar outfits used to run plenty quick enough with two blokes and the best engine in the world......a 500cc 2 stroke Then the F2's ran with 350cc twins and were still bloody quick...hard work maybe to keep them revving but heyo they were the days.........

Shame all gone over to 4 knockerthings but heyo they are still better than a car engine
This might appeal then... Linky

Richard Quinn

posted on 22/1/09 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neilj37
The Aprilla V Twin RSV1000 would work really well in the single seater

... and I'm hoping that it will work ok in my 7!!

MK9R

posted on 22/1/09 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
A guy i know makes these
http://www.revelationmotorsport.com/index.htm

He did race them in a 750mc series, with 750 (zx7r) and then 1000cc engines fitted. He has his own race series starting this year and has gone back to the 750cc due to cost, but also because its so friggin fast anyway!!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Triton

posted on 22/1/09 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Wow what an engine...

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

russbost

posted on 22/1/09 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
My vote would go for 600-800cc & you haven't got a category for that.
If this comes out as light as has been suggested then a 'Busa or ZX14 would be absolutely mental, you'd have around 600Bhp/tonne.
I have around 400Bhp a ton in my original car & TBH you can't really use that performance on the road & be anything like sensible & have any liklihood of staying alive & keeping your license.
I would have thought a 600 or perhaps 750 would be more than adequate, or pick up a "cheap as chips" old ZX10 lump & you'd have enough torque & low down power to happily burble round town & enough performance to scare yourself to death if you opened it up all for about £200-300.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
idl1975

posted on 22/1/09 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Mr W:

No sure why he'd want to use a 600 lump. Engines from any decent 600 aren't appreciably cheaper or lighter than larger capacity 4s. Now a used 600 single, that you can get cheap. Might even make sense ... in a Westfield XI.

Even if he thinks he can manage sub 400kg, he will be better off with a larger, more softly tuned engine. Big advantage of the BE is the very low all up weight of engine and transmission. If they lack anything, it's the table-top torque curve of a larger car engine, since they don't need it to shift 170-200kg of bike.

A 600-engined road car is on the wrong side of the bell curve, and it will feel like a tuned-to-bollox TZ125. I.e. either very slow indeed, or very fast in a 1,000 rpm band. Fine for a true single-seater race car (which will be lighter).

Try a ZZR1100, CBR1000 ("Hurricane" stylee sports tourer, not the 21st century hypersports bike), or even a Bindit 1200 mill (the air/oil motor) for cheap options. If he wants newer and lighter, GSX-R-1000 K1 onwards will be a better compromise.

Edit: The ZX10 suggestion is also good, but good luck finding one as I think they've all been crashed or crushed. If he's considering a 750, a 96-on GSX-R-750 mill will give you c. 115bhp and a bit more torque for not much money. Bulletproof too, and lots of tuning options.

To be clear about your follow up point, the smaller engine will be _less_ easy to use day to day, with a much finer line between "out of the power band" and "swapping ends" than a softly-tuned 1l+ mill. Think original S2000 for a rough comparison of the result.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by paul the 6th

Thanks a good answer, though there is talk of the single seater being less than 400kg which seems pretty light. Is a 1000cc engine not just asking for trouble in daily use, fine for racing but in traffic, taking to work, not a bit OTT? I'd also have thought 600cc engines would be very cheap and more readily available.

[Edited on 22/1/09 by idl1975]

[Edited on 22/1/09 by idl1975]

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 22/1/09 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget the torque multiplication effect of the lower final drive gearing in a BEC. My 'Busa was geared for 198 MPH while my BEC with the same engine in it is geared for 140 MPH. Multiplication factor: 1.4. The Bike hits 60 in 2.6 seconds so you'd assume the car weighing 540 kg with 100Kg driver, and the bike weighing 330Kg with 100 Kg rider, the car would achieve 4.25 secs to 60 but factor in the Torque multiplication and you should get; 3 sec 0 to 60. In reality the car won't quite make 3 secs due to other factors like rotational mass (of the drive train) and aerodynamics (wider, less streamlined, rollcages etc.) but is should still do it in sub 4 secs.

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/1/09 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sucksqueezebangblow
Don't forget the torque multiplication effect of the lower final drive gearing in a BEC. My 'Busa was geared for 198 MPH while my BEC with the same engine in it is geared for 140 MPH. Multiplication factor: 1.4. The Bike hits 60 in 2.6 seconds so you'd assume the car weighing 540 kg with 100Kg driver, and the bike weighing 330Kg with 100 Kg rider, the car would achieve 4.25 secs to 60 but factor in the Torque multiplication and you should get; 3 sec 0 to 60. In reality the car won't quite make 3 secs due to other factors like rotational mass (of the drive train) and aerodynamics (wider, less streamlined, rollcages etc.) but is should still do it in sub 4 secs.

thats an interesting point ta

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 22/1/09 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Mr Whippy,

An "ugly rod" is that anything like an ugly stick? I suppose it goes without saying that you intend to beat people with it!

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

fridgeracer

posted on 22/1/09 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
1340cc 2008 'busa
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.