Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Calling ubuntu users!!!!
johnston

posted on 7/2/09 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Calling ubuntu users!!!!

I've got my pc running on ubuntu and the brother in law got given an old computer which I put xubuntu onto because the XP that was on it was full of crap and we had no restore disc..

Now I have both computers wired through my router is there anyway to transfer files from my computer to his through the router, rather than go down the whole save to disc and transfer route??

tegwin

posted on 7/2/09 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Set up samba.... thats about all the help I can give you

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

jlparsons

posted on 7/2/09 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Easiest solution:

http://www.aria.co. uk/Products/Peripherals/Memory+Portable/USB+Pen+Drives/16GB+SanDisk+Micro+USB+Flash+Drive+?productId=34784

What I did was take the HD out of the windows PC, stick it in the ubuntu box alongside the ubuntu HD. I then copied accross everything I needed, and put the drive back. If you want a one-off move, that could be the ticket!

[Edited on 7/2/09 by jlparsons]

britishtrident

posted on 7/2/09 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Easiest way is just download and burn the iso to cd using K9

Try using Mint Linux --- really a more finished version of Ubuntu -- everything works including the multimedia and less buggy.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

martyn_16v

posted on 7/2/09 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Samba should be already installed and running in both distributions, so you may be lucky and just browse to 'network' in Nautilus (or in the 'Places' menu) in the Ubuntu machine. Don't know what the file browser is in xubuntu

If not, you could always set up an SSH connection between the two machines.

SixedUp

posted on 7/2/09 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
It really depends on how much data you need to transfer, how often, and what machines you need to transfer it between.

Samba isn't the easiest of beasts to get set up and working, but once it is set up, it will allow you to easily move a lot of data around at any point in the future. Its particularly useful if your other machines are Windows-based.

"scp" will allow you to copy small numbers of files between linux machines relatively easily with minimal setup. You just need to install an SSH server on (at least) one of the machines. "sudo apt-get install openssh-server" will do that for you. Then "man scp" will tell you all you need to know.

"rsync" will allow you to move huge amounts of data around between linux systems relatively easily. "man rsync" for help on that.

Hope that helps

britishtrident

posted on 8/2/09 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
You are just trying to network to Ubuntu PC --- all you need is the IP address or name of the PC you trying to connect to --- nothing else required Konqueror has it all built in.all you need is the IP address or computer name on tthe network

Download & install Angry IP scanner -- you will find a .deb that works on Ubuntu here http://www.angryziber.com/w/Download

Then put the ip range of your network in and let Angry Ip scanner scan your network -- it will identify all the IP addreses in use. Then simply type the IP addrss in Konqueror.

If it dosen't work it is either one of Ubuntu's many bugs (which is why I din't use it ) or it could be you are getting blocked by the firewall.
I can't give you much more help on this because I use Mint with Gnome rather than KDE and it just works.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

johnston

posted on 8/2/09 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers lads got it sorted with samba. It was just a 1 off thing as he got given the old machine and I got the job of trying to get it running half decent with all the stuff on it he needs. I thought I would just transfer a few 'backups' to give him something to do on it while he waits for the broadband to be connected.

Got to say I'm liking this ubuntu lark . Starting to get my head outta windows mode, just wished I'd tried sooner woulda bought a computer without an os last time..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.