Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mk2 Golf indicator failure
James

posted on 9/2/09 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Mk2 Golf indicator failure

All of the indicators have failed on my MK2 Golf.

Obviously a fuse or the relay is first thought but:

Bit of an odd one though, because they all still work if I press the Hazard button.

For some reason the indicator 'tell-tale' LED is on dimly all the time (with ignition on).

If I press the indicator lever then the LED 'tell-tale' flashes brighter at the correct speed and brightness.

Am I being silly and missing something obvious?
I would assume the indicator lever had gone but for the fact it operates the 'tell-tale' LED correctly.

Can anyone advise? I'm scared to drive it and get pulled by the Police... or cause an accident for that matter!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

nick205

posted on 9/2/09 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe a partial short somewhere?

With hazards on, do all 6 bulbs work correctly - have seen odd behaviour before when a bulb has blown.

As said, check fuse(s) and relay first, then column switch.

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/2/09 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James

I'm scared to drive it and get pulled by the Police... or cause an accident for that matter!

Cheers,
James

thats a laugh the police never use their indicators

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 9/2/09 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Is there a seperate indicator relay? Some cars have a seperate one for indicator and hazards...
02GF74

posted on 9/2/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
I would suspect the flasher relay has gone to VW heaven- that is where I'd look first. I though most cars had there are 2 separate units?

k33ts

posted on 9/2/09 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
could be the hazard switch itself or just down to a bad earth.

tukcustoms.com

James

posted on 9/2/09 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice every one.

Hmmm, well I've been a bit pathetic in this weather and not really done much other than found that one of the indicators has gone.

And when I say gone, I mean actually gone, the front bulb holder and loom up to the connector have disappeared leaving just the loom!

So maybe damp has got into the connector and is causing a short?

Bugger!

Lets hope it's dry tomorrow. Anyone got a MK2 Golf, big bumper, RHS indicator bulb holder?

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 9/2/09 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

hillbillyracer

posted on 10/2/09 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one of the said bulb indicator holder but I'm afriad it's staying attached to my mk2 big bumper Golf!
The indicators on it did a strange thing for a while, I pulled up at a cash machine & had the sidelights on & just stopped it & pulled the key out with the indicator still flashing & the car kept running! I assumed it was feeding the ignition circuit from the sidelights through the indicators (on a VW the side lights & indicators are linked so you can leave one side light on while parked) but thought it cant be right. A few weeks later the ignition switch failed (a common fault) & with a new switch fitted the running with no keys thing stopped.

02GF74

posted on 11/2/09 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hmmm, well I've been a bit pathetic in this weather and not really done much other than found that one of the indicators has gone.

And when I say gone, I mean actually gone, the front bulb holder and loom up to the connector have disappeared leaving just the loom!

Well in that case, what you said earlier is not true:

quote:
All of the indicators have failed on my MK2 Golf.

James

posted on 13/2/09 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Problem fixed...

extremely complex and difficult fix...

fuse had blown!

Weather some water had got into the connector where it was missing and blown the fuse I don't know. So maybe it'll go again... but with the new fuse and the bulb holder replaced it's all good.

Thanks for the advice people.

Cheers,
James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.