Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: collecting an engine
flak monkey

posted on 12/2/09 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
collecting an engine

I may need to collect an engine/box from south wales in the next week or so. Any suggestions? Its worth the fuel to go get it, but i dont have a suitable vehicle. considered renting a van but midweek is difficult at the moment due to work :-(

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Dave Ashurst

posted on 12/2/09 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
What vehicle have you got?

You might be surprised (like I was) what any old normal car can carry with the back seats folded and a mat on the floor.

You might not get the engine crane in too so it's hernia time at one end of the trip unless you get a helping hand.

l0rd

posted on 12/2/09 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Well, i managed to squeeze a small freezer in my clio which is bigger than an engine.

Also managed to get a Calibra bonnet in it.

BenB

posted on 12/2/09 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
I got a ST1100 in the back of my Micra. Unfortuantely didn't restrain it and had to do an emergency stop. Didn't kill myself but it fell over and spilt BEC goo everywhere
Shamrock GS

posted on 12/2/09 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
I picked up a 2litre pinto and type 9 box in the back of my car (Mondeo with rear seats down). Put down a large, heavy polythene sheet with a board on top with ropes tied through holes drilled at various points round the edge. 4 of us lifted the engine into the car (a bit of a struggle but not too bad), tied it down, wrapped it in poly to aviod oil leaks and off. No problems. Was able to get it out with only me, an engine hoist and my wife!

Unles yours is some massive V8 lump it can't be any heavier than the pinto anchor.

Gary

[Edited on 12/2/09 by Shamrock GS]

[Edited on 12/2/09 by Shamrock GS]

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

24vseven

posted on 12/2/09 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
i got a v8 rover engine in the back of a mk3 astra
austin man

posted on 12/2/09 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
I got a 1.8 petrol zetec and a 1.8 diesel in my mondeo oh silly me the diesel was in the front doing all the work.

As they say you would be surprised at what fits in unless youve god a mini, even my Little asutin managed a 25 litre air compressor in the back

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

rick q

posted on 12/2/09 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Though I picked mine up in a trailer, the simplest way to mount it is on a old tyre (sans rim). Lay the tyre on its side, drop the engine on top, and tie it down against the springiness of the tyre.
MikeR

posted on 12/2/09 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
In a citroen zx i got ....

1600 crossflow full engine
1600 in bits,
capri axle
more bits
cortina uprights
steering rack
type 9 gearbox (well not quite it was the 4sp version).
more bits
and a manual.

Pretty much on its bump stops but it all fitted. Lifting the full engine in was a 2 man job as well as lifting out.

ashg

posted on 13/2/09 at 02:02 AM Reply With Quote
i got all the donor bits off a sierra into the back of my old runabout astra estate.

i managed to get two engines in the back of a fiat cinquecento so unless you have a smart car i dont see the problem

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

speedyxjs

posted on 13/2/09 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shamrock GS
Unles yours is some massive V8 lump it can't be any heavier than the pinto anchor.

[cough] Jag Engine [cough]

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

locoR1

posted on 13/2/09 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
David if you went for a bike engine you could "probably" just about squeeze it in a mini

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

MikeR

posted on 13/2/09 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like we've got new terminology.

Boat anchor - Pinto
Tanker anchor - Jag AJ6 engine. (or where you referring to another engine?)

flak monkey

posted on 13/2/09 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Oddly enough I do have a new mini...

Its a 2 litre duratec and gearbox. No idea what it weighs, and I dont have an engine crane

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/2/09 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Oddly enough I do have a new mini...

Its a 2 litre duratec and gearbox. No idea what it weighs, and I dont have an engine crane

David

you don't need a crane, 3 people can easily lift any normal car engine. I've even carried my beatle engines up the stairs to the workshop myself. 2 off us lifted the crossflow into the back of my trailer with a rope tied round it.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevec

posted on 13/2/09 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Try these people, someone on here suggested them and they are collecting a car for me today. You get bids on the consignment from various carriers, may be cheaper than going yourself.

Steve

Rosco

posted on 13/2/09 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
I think most 4-pot car engines weigh between 80kgs to 120kgs, and I guess most adult men weigh between 80kgs and 100kgs. So weight is not an issue unless you're giving a lift to some mates from the local rugby club at the same time. Just put the seats down and get it as far foward as you can.
bimbleuk

posted on 13/2/09 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
I've carried spare gearboxes in the kit car. Similar in an MR2, I just took the passenger seat out. I've picked up a couple of 4AGEs in my A4 which won't fold down the rear seats. So took the inlet and exhaust manifolds off and slid them in the boot opening.

Complete 3SGTE MR2 turbo engine will all its gubbins in an Astra van was a doddle by comparison. As above though use an old tire on its side to stabilise the engine.

02GF74

posted on 13/2/09 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ I reckon you are looking at approaching 200 kg - that is a sh&t load of waeight and awkward to manoeuvre.

take care - not worth having an accident or injury.

have you considered courier?

split the 'box from engine if you can and remove as much as possible to lighten it - every little helps.

getting it in will be easier than getting it out.

I have moved Larnd Rover gerbox, cros flow and zetec engies about - I load them up onto a welding trolled then get that into the back of the 850 via wooden ramps; nasty work it is.

paul the 6th

posted on 13/2/09 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote

I emptied everything except the engine out on my own (gearbox is numb dead weight)... The engine has been in the back of my car for 2 weeks now, due to work and bad weather, I've not had chance or fancied carrying an engine across ice lol..

gonna give it a bash tonight maybe me thinks

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Vindi_andy

posted on 13/2/09 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Once had a 1275 GT mini engine in the back of a 1100 mini estate
rusty nuts

posted on 13/2/09 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
I got a 1.8 petrol zetec and a 1.8 diesel in my mondeo oh silly me the diesel was in the front doing all the work.

As they say you would be surprised at what fits in unless youve god a mini, even my Little asutin managed a 25 litre air compressor in the back

You can get a full size pushbike in a Mini !

martyn_16v

posted on 13/2/09 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
I remember as a kid being squished in the back of a Renault 5 next to a chest freezer, all the way to Germany. Makes me laugh at all these people that 'need' a mahoosive people carrier the second they drop a sprog and start carrying about crap they really don't need.

I loved that 5, I could watch the road going past through the rust hole in the floor between my feet. The 80's were fab

Alan B

posted on 13/2/09 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
I've had Jag V12 in the back of a Fiat Panda*

* This isn't strictly accurate in any way, but I felt like joining in.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 14/2/09 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
I've had a perkins super tanker engine in the back of an original mini *

* this also isn't true, i just wanted to go one better than Alan.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.