Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: MX-5 opinions?
ravingfool

posted on 21/2/09 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
OT: MX-5 opinions?

A little off topic, I'm thinking about an MX-5 as a daily driver. Their reputation for reliability, good handling and enjoyable driving experience have attracted me. I only need two seats and don't require much space for luggage as I'm fairly care free at the moment.

My budget doesn't stretch to anything much more exotic and MGFs are a no as my legs won't fit... the MX5 might be a little tight but I should be going for a test drive later to check.

I just wondered if anyone had any views on them - positive or negative, or any particular things to check on them. I'm thinking about something around the 2003 vintage 4~5k.

Thanks for your help.

wrigglypig

posted on 21/2/09 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
If that is your criteria I dont think you could do any better, I have a friend who has a grey import, Eunos 1992 1.8 with 275000 kms (171000 miles) and has never missed a heartbeat the only thing it has ever needed was a water pump and another cambelt change.It does nt smoke rattle and still goes like the clappers

ed1801

posted on 21/2/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
I had an mx5 1.8 '96 for ages and it was the best car I ever owned, you can't go far wrong. You can get quite a lot of stuff in it with the roof down as well!

On the year of '5 you want I think there was an issue with the original clutch juddering - should be apparent as a shudder when you pull away, particularly in reverse. There is a big following at the mx5oc.co.uk and more tuning oriented at mx5nutz.co.uk . Good luck

alistairolsen

posted on 21/2/09 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
look carefully for rust, everywhere
jlparsons

posted on 21/2/09 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Only thing that might put me off is the girly image and the knowledge that my mates would take the wee mercilessly! Only MIGHT put me off though, i do like them.
mistergrumpy

posted on 21/2/09 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you've already made your decision. Don't be put off by other people taking the mickey out of you, I had that with my Alfa Spider. Balls to them!.
Personally I can't stand the things, they look rough after a few years and when someone puts one of them luggage racks on the back well...
I remember cycling John O Groats to Lands End in 2002 and this was by far the most common car I saw followed by Porsche Boxster. The MX5's all seemed to be driven by middle aged men with their wives in tow.
As said though, only my opinion and don't be put off by it.

Gaz 1977

posted on 21/2/09 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have had a 1990 mk1 Eunos for about 18 months, Never missed a beat, a great fun car. It always puts a smile on my face when I drive it.

I've used it all year round, If possible get a hard top for it as it keeps the noise down on long journeys.

The running costs are next to nothing and tyres are cheap on the standard 14 inch wheels.

Have you concerned a mk1? They've reached about as low a price as they're going to get, they're a bit lighter. (and they have pop up lights!). I got mine, which is very tidy, for £2500 with 30k on the clock. If you want a drive u2u me.

Don't be concerned about mates taking the wee, they probably drive family hatchbacks that smell faintly of baby sick.

Saying that my hairdresser does own one. He is 6foot 3 and has no probs fitting in.

dave1888

posted on 21/2/09 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've just stripped a 1999 mk2 and althought there was some rust there was nothing to severe. check out the mx5 forums they tell you what to look out for.

ravingfool

posted on 21/2/09 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the input guys, it's greatly appreciated.

I'm finding that there's very little bad to say about these little cars and I have to agree after the test drive I've just had.

I'm certainly not concerned about the 'girly' image, the positive handling and feeling inside the car is what matters to me, anyway I intend to have a suitable company with me whenever the roof is down

Gaz, I've been for a ride in one with the standard cloth top before and didn't think the noise was too bad but my test drive today was in one with a hard top and I couldn't believe how quiet it was, I will try and get one.

I'll check out the mx5 sites as suggested and reconsider the possibility of a mk1 (I too rather like pop up headlights!)

Phill

dogwood

posted on 21/2/09 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
My wife has a Mk2 MX5 1800

I love driving it.
Better than any tintop for the money,
Yea they may have a girly image, but only by people that ain't driven them..

Don't worry about getting into it.
If I can then anyone can....

David

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Bob C

posted on 21/2/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
I hestitate to say this on a locost website..... but a lot of drivers aint used to RWD & soon stuff them at a roundabout. If it rains, going faster will NOT keep you dry (I got rain on the INSIDE of the windscreen). If you go on the motorway with the roof open & try to hold a conversation you WILL lose your voice in about 50 miles. Early (1990 vintage) cars also had a crankshaft pulley keyway problem that could scrap the engine.
Aside from the above - stonking little cars - even better with a big V8 engine in ;^)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.