Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VW t4 transporter - buying advice?
bigandy

posted on 27/2/09 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
VW t4 transporter - buying advice?

Morning all,

I've finally decided I have enough beer money squirrelled away to start a new project, and it is going to be a Van! I want to take a pretty standard VW t4 transporter van, and convert it into a sort of campervan. Nothing too flash, just something that can lug the mountain bikes/kayaks RC gear around, and provide shelter and somewhere to sleep if needed.

Anyway, the first thing to do, is acquire a van! I have a budget of around £3000, and I think I am looking at something from around 2003 (ish). I would prefer a panel really, then I can add windows exactly where I want them.

The only thing I could do with though, is some buying advice. I'm not overly familiar with vans, let alone the t4, so does anyone have any advice? Are there certain things to look out for (faults, bodges, corrosion sites) etc? Anything to avoid?

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/2/09 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
a better place to ask -

dedicated forum

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pif

posted on 27/2/09 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
according to honest john

Volkswagen T4 Caravelle (1994 - 2003)
Good: Stacks of room and a wide range of trim options. The TDI gives a good mix of cruising pace and economy.
Bad: Rust and paint defects. VR6 guzzles petrol. Early non-TDIs are an awful drive.
What's Good
VW's front engined Transporter in short and long wheelbase estate car format. Various trim options, such as Multivan with curtains and seats that convert to a bed. Bags of room inside. Useful 5 cylinder TDI diesel offering up to 35mpg and reasonable 80-90mph cruising. Quite nice to drive with TDI engine. Good view. You see hazards ahead over the roofs of normal passenger cars. 2.5TDI can be chipped to give higher performance. Also a VR6 version as well as 1.9 TDIs.
Much improved after 1996 facelift. Metallic paint is best. VWs generally had below average warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index (index 76.83 v/s lowest 31.93). Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk

Club site www.vwt4forum.co.uk
Annual T1 to T5 gatherings: www.camperjam.co.uk (June), www.vanfest.org September)

Last updated 16-3-2008
What's Bad
Big. Built at van plant at Hanover to van standards, which is basically to run reilably to a high mileage in a short time. Paint and rustproffing not to car standards, though improved hugely after 1996 facelift.

Sold only by VW commercial vehicle dealers, so service reception isn't like a VW franchise.

VR6 is a heavy drinker.

Earlier non-TDI models were awful to drive.

TDI's timing belt drives water pump and, if water pump fails, so does belt. Injection distribution pump timing difficult and expensive to re-set when renewing timing belt.
What to Watch Out For
When buying used, look for rust and paint defects. Best engine is the 5 cylinder 2.5 TDI, but remember it needs frequent expensive timing belt and tensioner replacements, and a new timing belt driven waterpump every 80,000 miles.

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

Jasongray5

posted on 27/2/09 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Nice vans, but as I understand they can be quite tricky to work on?

How hard can it be?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33261515@N03/sets/72157611049241239/

chrsgrain

posted on 27/2/09 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
I've had a T4 for about 8 years now, and I (and everyone else in the windsurfing community) love them.

The rust problems have been sorted since '96 when they became galvanised (I think) - anyway lugging sea water sodden kit in them doesn't seem to do any damage.

Timing belt, timing belt, timing belt - change it ahead of time and make sure its been done with proper parts - having had one let go just before it was due to be changed (!)

A bit noisy, especially without a full bulkhead (my latest one has a bulkhead because of this). Don't even think about anything except a TDi. They should be good for 200,000 miles if well looked after, but if they haven't a FSH walk away. They are expensive for what they are - but I wouldn't drive anything else.... if you think of anything specific you want to know, let me know.

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

gazza285

posted on 27/2/09 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Mine was nice, until the head cracked. Couldn't find another head in the scrappers because all those were cracked too. This was the five cylinder model, 70,000miles with full service. Mate's got a four cylinder one, woefully underpowered. Wouldn't touch another if it was free. Looked nice though, and I nearly had street cred. Buy a Citroen van instead, cheaper, more reliable, better MPG and easier to work on.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.