Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built haldane 100, retirement project Marcos GT

posted on 4/3/09 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
independant garages

Mrs hal just came back from MOTing her car, brought a leaflet from garage, see

www.r2rc.co.uk
where do i take my standard vanguard, triumph herald, datsun cherry ? if i had them, or even my Haldane ! ( i suppose i can do that at the manufacturers )

sad day for us if it happens

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/3/09 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Don’t think this has anything to do with old cars but only those under warranty and manufacturers holding back schematics of components or access to diagnostic tools, I'm sure they got a b£ll£cking a few years ago for this and told to quit it. If they insisted, people would simply not buy their cars, especially in these harder times.

But as my ‘newest’ car is 20 years old I’m not overly concerned tbh

[Edited on 4/3/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 4/3/09 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
I've scan read the Euro VI regulation and from what I've seen cant see what the fuss is about, see what you think:

http://www.ies-uk.org.uk/news/documents/EFAEPEUReportAugust08.pdf

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_claydon

posted on 4/3/09 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
As I wrote in this thread:

quote:

It was the EU that brought in these regulations [block exemption] in the first place, they are not removing them, it's just that the regulation is about to expire.

However: Access to repair information is now part of European type-approval - in the near future manufacturers will have to provide access to workshop manuals etc on their websites (most will still charge though).

The expiry of the Block Exemption will not stop access to repair information, since providing it is now an intrinsic part of being allowed to sell a car.

matt_claydon

posted on 4/3/09 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
The legislation (EC regulation 715/2007) which applies to the majority of mass-produced passenger cars:

quote:

Manufacturers shall provide unrestricted and standardised access to vehicle repair and maintenance information to independent operators through websites using a standardised format in a readily accessible and prompt manner, and in a manner which is non-discriminatory compared to the provision given or access granted to authorised dealers and repairers. With a view to facilitating the achievement of this objective, the information shall be submitted in a consistent manner, initially in accordance with the technical requirements of the OASIS format (1). Manufacturers shall also make training material available to independent operators and authorised dealers and repairers.

[Edited on 4/3/09 by matt_claydon]

spaximus

posted on 4/3/09 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry it is not simple. Yes the manufacturers have to provide information to allow independant garages to function, howevr there is a gap between to old Block exemption expiring and this new law coming in to force. What it means is they have no compulsion to provide any information between these dates. Local garages will not be able to acces information and effectivly this means they will close. Then the manufacturers will up the costs hugly.
Watch the video on Youtube it makes more sense.

The other thing is that any issue that is related to security they do not have to make known, so that is why if you have a tyre on a BMW 7 series the can bus computer needs reseting before it will drive. There are many more examples of this which are facts.

if we are not careful the manufacturers and the dealers will get what they want and we will be the poorer for it.

The company I work for is part of the R2RC campaign so it is close to my heart.

dhutch

posted on 4/3/09 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
A freind of ours bought a new Mk1 Toyota Prius new. (he's a tech bloke, whos bussiness is researching solar panels tech)

During the purchase he got it written into the sales agreement that he would get the full technical workshop manual for the whole car. Printed, in with the price.
- Sales man confirmed that would be ok, sold car, money and car changed hands. Then he went to chase the manual.

Took him about two weeks of phone calls on and off. But he does now have it!

Daniel

dhutch

posted on 4/3/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have also written (paper) letters to my two local MPs (loughborough and home) and electronic emials to all me MEPs via write-to-them online.

Who knows what good it will do, but it wont do any harm, and if enough people do something, they cant totally ignore it.

Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.