Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Kitcarfinishers
jeffw

posted on 12/3/09 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Kitcarfinishers

Anyone have experience of these guys

www.kitfinishers.co.uk ?

I need to get some jobs done on the Phoenix (TB conversion and a friend has some stuff to do on his Tiger) but I simply don't have the time to do the work....at £16 per hour it's easier to give it to these people.

Thoughts ??

cd.thomson

posted on 12/3/09 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I would say get in touch with John on here. He strikes me as professional and not in it for heaps of money.

He mentioned earlier he had some work on at the minute, so he may be too busy, but he'll accomodate a LCB if he can I bet.

edit to add: thats Mr Henderson btw, look for the pictures of cats

[Edited on 12/3/09 by cd.thomson]

Craig

adithorp

posted on 12/3/09 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Given that that is in Aylesbury and so is Mr Henderson...connected maybe?

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Dangle_kt

posted on 12/3/09 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
£16 is a good price, but it all depends how good they are. I could do a lot of jobs on my car, but it will take 4 or 5 times as long as someone who is a pro with years of experience and skill.

Seem pretty straight talking on the website - worth finding out if they are insured etc.

MikeCapon

posted on 12/3/09 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Having looked at the website it seems that Mr Henderson and kitfinishers are one and the same. Bizarre that Mr H has not spoken of his site on here. He is a pretty regular poster.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 12/3/09 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
www.kitfinishers.co.uk ?

more like

www.kitcarsprecariouslybalancedonbreezeblocks.co.uk ?

[Edited on 12/3/09 by 02GF74]

mcerd1

posted on 12/3/09 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
Having looked at the website it seems that Mr Henderson and kitfinishers are one and the same. Bizarre that Mr H has not spoken of his site on here. He is a pretty regular poster.

he does have and add in his signature - but it just says to u2u him for details

jacko

posted on 12/3/09 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Do you mean this
quote:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=108475

Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr henderson

posted on 12/3/09 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
www.kitfinishers.co.uk ?

more like

www.kitcarsprecariouslybalancedonbreezeblocks.co.uk ?

[Edited on 12/3/09 by 02GF74]

Yes, it is me, but far from being precarious, those cars are absolutely solid. As long as the wheels are locked there is no way they can be pushed off those blocks. All 3 of the owners have seen their cars up on those blocks, and none of them expressed any concern.

If anyone needs to do a lot of work on their car then they could consider doing it too. I would say only four blocks high, though, but they are 89p each at Wickes so for less than £16 you can gain a useful height increase. When the work is finished you can build a garden wall with them.

16 blocks is pretty heavy, though, even in the Volvo there was a noticeable decrease in the rear ride height!

The reason for not mentioning the website here was that the prices are a bit higher than I would normally charge to LCB forum members.

John

scudderfish

posted on 12/3/09 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
How do you get the cars onto the blocks in the first place?
scutter

posted on 12/3/09 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish

Looking at Chris R's MK in the pictures, a small child could have lifted it. (And no Mr Henderson doesn't employ small children, to the best of my knowledge )

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

mr henderson

posted on 12/3/09 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scutter
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish

Looking at Chris R's MK in the pictures, a small child could have lifted it. (And no Mr Henderson doesn't employ small children, to the best of my knowledge )

ATB Dan.

Jack for the first two blocks, then crane for the next two.

One good thing about using the blocks is that you can take the car up in stages, much safer that way.

John

chris.russell

posted on 12/3/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
i've seen that car somewhere before!

Mines a pint

jeffw

posted on 12/3/09 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
That's all good then...looks like I've found the guy I need to get my Phoenix moving before the next ice age
02GF74

posted on 13/3/09 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
but far from being precarious, those cars are absolutely solid. As long as the wheels are locked there is no way they can be pushed off those blocks.

How exactly are trhe wheels locked? I can see wooden slats on the rears but nothing to stop them from rollinig off.

One day someone will forget to do the hadbrake.....

I still reckon a couple of kung fu kicks will have them off..... but would 3 ft axle stnad be more sturdy? We need a civil engineer to answer that.

mr henderson

posted on 13/3/09 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
but far from being precarious, those cars are absolutely solid. As long as the wheels are locked there is no way they can be pushed off those blocks.

How exactly are trhe wheels locked? I can see wooden slats on the rears but nothing to stop them from rollinig off.

One day someone will forget to do the hadbrake.....

I still reckon a couple of kung fu kicks will have them off..... but would 3 ft axle stnad be more sturdy? We need a civil engineer to answer that.

O2, I do have HD axle stands which will reach that high, but prefer the arrangement shown in the pictures. I'm happy to take responsibility for them, and to go underneath them when necessary.

Never-the-less, you are obviously somewhat concerned about them, so, as you are only in the adjacent county, why not nip over and have a look for yourself? I daresay if you were to make a determined effort to push one of the cars off then you would succeed, but my intuitive risk/benefit analysis is that, sabotage excepted, the current arrangement is satisfactory.

I do have to local garage equipment people looking for a two post lift for me, and when I get one installed then I will be able to concentrate my work, and my equipment, around it, and move cars into and out of the area as required. At the moment I have to leave the cars where they are and move myself and my gear to work on them, which is what makes the block arrangement feasible.

If you are still not happy, then contact me as come and have a look and a chat, and either be reassured or show me the error of my ways (but ideally stop short of actually knocking a car over

John

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.