Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: More Bike Carb Questions
rsmith95uk

posted on 13/3/09 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
More Bike Carb Questions

Hi, I have just fitted a set of bike carbs (courtesy of Bogg Bros) to my Pinto engined Cat.

The carbs appear to be ZX6 (definitely Kawasaki according to Bogg Bros) and have several pipe unions I need advice on!

There are two fuel size unions on the top and one on the bottom. I have attached the fuel feed to the bottom one and the engine runs (but see below) so I assume I've got that right, but what are the two on top - do I need to do anything with them, ie blank them off?

There are also two smaller unions on the base of each carb. I have seen pictures where these are connected in a 'daisy chain' - do I need to do this on the car?

Lastly, as mentioned the engine is running, but only on cylinders 1 & 4. I have a spark to the other 2, so assume its the carbs - any ideas?

Cheers
Ray

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/3/09 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
yeah but how strong is the spark? and the compression in the middle two cylinders. Have you checked the valve clearances?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul TigerB6

posted on 13/3/09 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I'm having very similar issues myself - there was a thread a couple of days ago on it that should help.

Seems my problem is likely to be sticky float valves and also dry seals - soaking in fuel / carb cleaner should free them up

rsmith95uk

posted on 13/3/09 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

spark looks fine - not checked compression - engine was bought as a reconditioned unit (watched the chap build it) & has less than a thousand miles on it.

Car was running OK on webers prior to changeover, so assume everything else is OK.

Cheers
Ray

r1_pete

posted on 13/3/09 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
The two top unions are air vents, and can be open to atmosphere or connected into the airbox, seems to make no difference which. The unions you mention as daisy chained, are for collant to heat the carbs and prevent icing - ignore them in the car.

Fuel passes through carb 3 to get to carb 4, and carb 2 to get to carb 1, so fuel is getting through, it could be that 2 and 3 have stuck float valves, but if boggs have serviced them I'd doubt it.

Are you sure 2 & 3 ignition leads are on the right way round?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rsmith95uk

posted on 13/3/09 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the quick response chaps - It looks like I will be busy this weekend!

Cheers
Ray

locosaki

posted on 13/3/09 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I had similar problems a few months back,The way I tested to see if it was fuel problem or lack of spark was as follows.

Remove filter from offending carbs.Get a little fuel into a fairly liquid bottle and squirt a little fuel down the venturi of the carb and see if the engine picks up.Mines did pick up,I had a problem with the float on number 4 carb !!

Hope that helps a little

Guinness

posted on 13/3/09 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Are the carbs re-spaced, or is the manifold angled? Just thinking if the carbs have been re-spaced there might be a blockage in the fuel line?

This is an anotated photo of how my ZZR carbs were plumbed up.

HTH

Mike
zzr carbs
zzr carbs

rsmith95uk

posted on 13/3/09 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
hi,

thanks for the pic - carbs are not spaced they are on an angled manifold.

As per an earlier post, I won't be utilising the carb heating plumbing, it (I) don't venture out when the temp is too low

rsmith95uk

posted on 18/3/09 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

just to let you know that the carbs are now behaving themselves - seems that the problem was probably an expired manifold gasket. I replaced it with a new one & things worked straight away.

Thanks for all the advice
Ray

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.