Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: "pulsing" LED rear lights
Meeerrrk

posted on 15/3/09 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
"pulsing" LED rear lights

i fitted some LED rear light units (side, brake, indicator)

everything appeared to be fine but my mrs was following me the other day and said they were flickering. at first i thought must be a dodgy earth, but all wiring is fine.

The battery on the car was completely shot, wouldnt even take a charge from an optimate conditioner. Could only start it via jumping and even after a 50+ mile drive it still didnt have enough charge to start the car.

Could such a flat battery cause the led lamps to "flicker" or "pulse" with the engine running?

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

MakeEverything

posted on 15/3/09 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yes.
The alternator puts out a DC waveform which is very square, which is what causes the "Flivker" effect. Particularly with LED's. Bulbs might not notice as much, as they would dim and get brighter.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Meeerrrk

posted on 15/3/09 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
thats cool, thanks very much for the speedy, detailed response.

that'll learn me for not putting the battery on a conditioner over winter; its just a small bosch 8ah bike battery.

I'll get a replacement tomorrow.

thanks,

Mark

MakeEverything

posted on 15/3/09 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
No probs Mark.

Ive always been told to get the best battery you can afford. I would put a heavy duty battery in to avoid early replacement!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

daviep

posted on 15/3/09 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Yes.
The alternator puts out a DC waveform which is very square, which is what causes the "Flivker" effect. Particularly with LED's. Bulbs might not notice as much, as they would dim and get brighter.

Sorry to hijack but can you explain this phenomenon to me in a bit more detail? I've always been under the impression there was no waveform from a DC supply.

Cheers
Davie

Ninehigh

posted on 15/3/09 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'm guessing it's because the engine doesn't run perfectly smoothly and there's a small difference in rpm, plus the alternator only produces electricity as whatever part turns passes the bushes. I suppose the real difference is negligable but I was told to fit a voltage regulator before leds because the constant variation in voltage can blow them. Apparently they're very sensitive to things like that

BenB

posted on 15/3/09 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
I think what is being eluded to is the fact that the alternator puts out a dirty signal and it's normally the "capacitance" of the battery which smooths out this slightly square signal into a nice smooth voltage. If you have a dead battery you don't get this smoothing.
minitici

posted on 15/3/09 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps I have a peculiar persistence of vision - but I find all LED car lights a bit odd. They seem to 'dance' all over the place & particularly when looking in the rear view mirror.
Is it just me?

Meeerrrk

posted on 15/3/09 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
i know exactly what you mean.

if you look straight at them; they seem fine. but when in your peripheral vision, they seem to act strange indeed. maybe they are magic and know when your not looking at them and do funny things!!

minitici

posted on 15/3/09 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Meeerrrk
i know exactly what you mean.

if you look straight at them; they seem fine. but when in your peripheral vision, they seem to act strange indeed. maybe they are magic and know when your not looking at them and do funny things!!

That must be it

prawnabie

posted on 15/3/09 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ive always thought it was due to the alternator not running at the same speed throughout 1 revolution. You will get a number of "fast" spots where the spark is occuring - newer cars combat this by a racheting pulley on the alternator?

Shaun

davidwag

posted on 16/3/09 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

An alternator produces a three phase alternating current which is then rectified to produce a DC waveform, if you look at the waveform carefully with a scope you can still see the pulses from each of the three phases on top of the DC. As has been said above the battery acts as a smoothing capacitor.

David

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 16/3/09 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by davidwag
Hi,

An alternator produces a three phase alternating current which is then rectified to produce a DC waveform, if you look at the waveform carefully with a scope you can still see the pulses from each of the three phases on top of the DC. As has been said above the battery acts as a smoothing capacitor.

David

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_bridge

yes the battery is a huge capacitor used to smooth the ripple

Meeerrrk

posted on 16/3/09 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the comments.

now, i replaced the battery on the car, starts and even runs much better

BUT the flashing led light was still present!
Now im thinking one of two things:

1) my side light circuit had only LEDs...led rear lights, LED number plate light, LED side lights. maybe the circuit doesnt have enough pull, the lamps normally dim and brighten slightly (as said above) but with just leds there is no "dampening" there for fluctuation?

2) my rectifier is going tits up

any ideas on the above?

Meeerrrk

posted on 16/3/09 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
doing some reading on regulator/rectifiers i wonder if ive cooked mine by running the car with such a flat battery, would that make sense?

David Jenkins

posted on 16/3/09 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
The battery does act like a regulator (a bit) - not only does it smooth out the power, but it will 'absorb' high voltages (plain english version!).

You can blow electrical stuff by running an engine without a battery... not sure what effect a knackered battery would have.

Ninehigh

posted on 16/3/09 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
You can blow electrical stuff by running an engine without a battery... not sure what effect a knackered battery would have.

That's going to have to go in the "you learn something every day" list for today

David Jenkins

posted on 16/3/09 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Glad to be of service!

Here's a naff american website - but it does explain what I was saying...

LINKY

02GF74

posted on 16/3/09 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
thanks for all the comments.

BUT the flashing led light was still present!
Now im thinking one of two things:
What exactly do you mean by flashing? Can you definitely see the LED go out? or does it pulsate i..e is on but gets brighter?
Also is the "flash"rate constant?
Does the flash rate change as you rev the engine?
Do they flash when engine is not running?
Dp all bulbs flash or just some?
Does flashing occur when headlamps are on?

1) my side light circuit had only LEDs...led rear lights, LED number plate light, LED side lights. maybe the circuit doesnt have enough pull, the lamps normally dim and brighten slightly (as said above) but with just leds there is no "dampening" there for fluctuation?
Bulbs emit light by heating up a fairly large piece of metal; it takes time hence rapid power fluctuations will not be noticed. The response time for a LED is very much less so you will see power fluctuations. The battery should supply more or less constant power. If the reulator was not doing its job, you'd get voltage spikes that would very likley kill the LEDs.

Do you have voltmeter to measure battery voltage when engine is running? Have you replaced alternator lamp with a LED bulb? If so, did you fit a drop resistor to increase current draw?

any ideas on the above?

Meeerrrk

posted on 17/3/09 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
please see my reply below :

Q:What exactly do you mean by flashing? Can you definitely see the LED go out? or does it pulsate i..e is on but gets brighter?

A:they don’t go out, just get duller then brighter. It seems to be “in tune” with the fluctuation in engine idle speed (I guess its about 100rpm?)

Q:Also is the "flash"rate constant?

A: Answered in the above, with variaition in idle speed

Q: Does the flash rate change as you rev the engine?

A:When the engine is revved they seem to be ok but as the revs fall they seem to dim slightly

Q: Do they flash when engine is not running?

A:No, they are fine

Q: Dp all bulbs flash or just some?

A:Its just the led ones, but it is slightly visible as a dimming/brightening of the filament bulbs on the side light circuit (I’ve now fitted front side lights and number plate lights as filament)

Q: Does flashing occur when headlamps are on?

A: No, it stops when the headlights are on, also stops when the rad fan kicks in (IE when more load is being demanded?!)

Q: Bulbs emit light by heating up a fairly large piece of metal; it takes time hence rapid power fluctuations will not be noticed. The response time for a LED is very much less so you will see power fluctuations. The battery should supply more or less constant power. If the reulator was not doing its job, you'd get voltage spikes that would very likley kill the LEDs.

A: I agree, but these LEDs are rated for 12v and 24v applications (10v-30v rated)

Q: Do you have voltmeter to measure battery voltage when engine is running? Have you replaced alternator lamp with a LED bulb? If so, did you fit a drop resistor to increase current draw?

A: I have checked voltage at the battery with the engine running, it fluctuates by about .75 volt which sounds too much. No I haven’t touched the alternator lamp!

[Edited on 17/3/09 by Meeerrrk]

Meeerrrk

posted on 17/3/09 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
tonight i have dug a little deeper. As standard the fireblade which my engine & electrics (wiring circuits) are out of had LED rear side/stop lamps. The circuit for the brake light has a resistor in it, i have plugged this in but it doesnt seem to make any difference. But i then plugged a resistor (the type for slowing flash rates down on led indicator applictions) across the side light line and it stopped the flashing. Problem being the resistor got very hot very quickly!

So this says to me (im not electronics biased in the slightest!) that the circuit needs a bigger "pull" to stablise it? Which ties in with the issue going away when the headlights are on or the fan kicks in

Is this a sign of the regulator/rectifier failing?

Ninehigh

posted on 18/3/09 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like standard electronics above my level of knowledge to me. Not sure what a rectifier does but I persume that it's supposed to stop the flucuation in which case yeah it probably is, or it's unable to handle the speed of the fluctuation

Meeerrrk

posted on 21/3/09 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
changed the reg, and it wasnt the issue.

i did get to the bottom of it though, all sorted now

02GF74

posted on 22/3/09 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
changed the reg, and it wasnt the issue.

i did get to the bottom of it though, all sorted now

and so what was it - bad earth?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.