Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zx9 carbs fuel p***ing out the top
gr8ging

posted on 18/3/09 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
zx9 carbs fuel p***ing out the top

Got the engine to spark now, thanks to all those hope helped with suggestions.
The new problem is fuel is squirting out of what I think is the air hole in the top of the carbs, the hole inline with the needle.
Does anyone know why this is? Should it be blocked or is there a problem in the float chamber? I am running with the standard air filter on the carbs and have not altered the carbs from standard.
Cheers

Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals.... except the weasel.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine!

Peteff

posted on 18/3/09 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Have you got the fuel pipe connected correctly, we have seen some connected to the breather pipe before now.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JAG

posted on 18/3/09 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Things to check;

1) fuel connections are correct
2) fuel pump pressure is correct
3) float height is correct and the valve is closing when the float bowl is full of fuel.

Good luck

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

MK9R

posted on 18/3/09 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
One of your float chambers is probably stuck open. I had this happen when i first started up the engine, and also after a a track session. Tack the float chamber off and give it a clean inside and it should be fine. The time it happened on the track i took off the offending chamber and couldn't see anything, put it back on and it was fine again.

To see which chamber it is (although you should clean them all out if the engine has been standing), take the filter off and look down the carb and you will see fuel pissing into the problem carb when the fuel pump primes

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve Hignett

posted on 18/3/09 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
As above.

It does need cleaning, but try tapping it with the ring of a ring spanner to try and loosen up any miniscule dirt particles etc.

ATB

tendoshingan

posted on 18/3/09 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Had a simialr problem, found I had connected the fuel to the breather pipe by mistake!
Check that to make sure.

BenB

posted on 18/3/09 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
It's certainly worth checking that you have connected up the carbs correctly. There are lots of connection points on bike carbs (some for float drainage, some for providing atmospheric above the diaphragm etc etc)... Connect up the wrong one and you'll get the problem mentioned.

Then again it could just be crud preventing the floats closing. If it's all of them doing it, it's likely an incorrectly connected line though (you'ld be unlucky for all of the jets to be blocked).

gr8ging

posted on 18/3/09 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel inlet is correct
It is all 4 that are leaking but some more vigorous than others. I'll try cleaning them.

Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals.... except the weasel.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine!

JoelP

posted on 18/3/09 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
your fuel pump is definately off a carbed engine, about 7psi (iirc)? Too much pressure will push it past the floats. I had a pressure reg that didnt work, easiest solution is to get a pump off any carbed sports bike.
gr8ging

posted on 18/3/09 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
All is well thanks guys.
It turns out the breather was blocked. Cleared out and all is working as it should

Thanks again
SVA hear we come (and fail)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.