Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reviving dull aluminium bodywork
mr henderson

posted on 18/3/09 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Reviving dull aluminium bodywork

I've been given an early locost to build. It features an MK chassis, and quite nicely done aluminium bodywork. I wouldn't be surprised if whoever did it wasn't a professional metalworker of some kind.

Anyway, if appears to have been left in a shed for a few years, and the aluminium is as dull and as tired looking as a very dull, tired thing, and I welcome suggestions as to the best way to get it looking smart again.

As always, time and cost are an issue (when are they ever not?)

John

Dangle_kt

posted on 18/3/09 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've used a scotchbright pad that you use on pans and the like to good effect on alu, but I'm unsure if it was laquered or not and what effect that would have.
Paul TigerB6

posted on 18/3/09 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I use a drill mounted arbour and a 6" polishing mop along with the appropriate compound on large areas of aluminium. Did 1/3rd of a Tiger Supercat side panel in about 15 mins or so, so not too bad

roadrunner

posted on 18/3/09 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
I've found T-cut works very well, especially if your cloth is damp.
Shamrock GS

posted on 18/3/09 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Likewise with Roadrunner Tcut works fine, as does Autosol or even brasso. Lots of elbow grease needed for these but youy get a decent result. These aren't abraisive enough to take out anything more than the finest surface scratches. For rougher pitting you need power tools and pads.

G

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

chris taylor

posted on 18/3/09 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
John,
T-Cut as suggest previously is ace, with a damp cloth, not come across anything better myself,

CT

Danozeman

posted on 18/3/09 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
t cut or autosol. use some plain flour on a cloth afterwards to take away the black scud that itl make.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

BenB

posted on 18/3/09 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Autosol here too. Proper job of polishing ali but a bit harsh if you use it too often.....
jlparsons

posted on 18/3/09 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Any chance of some pics of the aly bodywork mate?

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

twybrow

posted on 18/3/09 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
At work, we polish aluminium moulds to a mirror finish with good old brasso.... Scotchbrite to start, moving to very fine wet n dry (1200 grit, wet), then final polish with brasso to see your reflection!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.