Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lowering the noise...
Gav

posted on 23/3/09 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Lowering the noise...

At SVA i got 103.2 DB, quite loud then

With a CAT and big exhuast fitted i reckon it must be the induction noise thats the majority of it.
Right now i have just some pipercross filters fitted, i do have the original airbox but it wont fit under the bonnet, i dont really want to hack a hole in the bonnet to fit the airbox and i dont really wont to butcher the airbox to fit under.

Any ideas?

omega0684

posted on 23/3/09 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
can you make an air box that will fit under the bonnet and then duct an intake into the nose?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 23/3/09 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
I tested mine this evening with a meter borrowed from work (uncalibrated, but the guy I borrowed it off said it never wanders my more than 1 db or 2 from calibration).

I was getting ~102.5db. Tonight I have stuck camping mattress to the underside of the bonnet, and tomorrow, I will be sticking self adhesive foam behind any bit of panel that looks like it might vibrate. My only other thought was some sort of restrictor/defelctor welded into the tail pipe... Any other bright ideas how I can drop a db or 2!?

My last resort would be to tweak my gauges, but I'd rather get an honest pass!

iiyama

posted on 24/3/09 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
Got 103.5 at SVA last Tuesday. Have stuck some car HiFi sound deadning material to the floor under the seats, on both sides of the engine bay and in the boot area. Have also bought one of these:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=250391607443

And will have a play around to see what, if anything, has changed!

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

smart51

posted on 24/3/09 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Induction noise is generally only a problem when the throttle is open. At a fast idle, it is barely open.

Do you have a noise meter? Can you borrow one? A cheap maplin one will do. Measure the noise on the exhaust side of the car then the non exhaust side. That will give you an idea of whether the exhaust noise is louder than the "ambient noise" from the engine. Measure the noise from the inlet ports then from the other side of the engine at the same distance. That will tell you whether the induction roar is a problem or not.

Richard Quinn

posted on 24/3/09 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iiyama
Got 103.5 at SVA last Tuesday. Have stuck some car HiFi sound deadning material to the floor under the seats, on both sides of the engine bay and in the boot area. Have also bought one of these:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=250391607443

And will have a play around to see what, if anything, has changed!
Do these have to go in the tail pipe or can they go in the system before the can? Just trying to work out whether I could fit one if necessary.

nitram38

posted on 24/3/09 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
The problem with those punched baffles is if you are taking them to sva. The emmissions probe cannot fit inside some.
I bought this and it knocked mine down from 102db to 100db and according to my AFR, it stayed the same.

iiyama

posted on 24/3/09 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Ill let you know later as it should be here today......

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

easisatman

posted on 24/3/09 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
I had a lot of db's with my r1 Striker, also a lot of popping back on affterrun . it has a 6 inch re packable silencer with springs only to hold it on!! so I used some High temp silicone around the joint with manifold-worked a treat, Much quieter- untill I did a few miles and the silicone failed (only rated to 300 degs) so went and bought some exhaust paste - withstands much higher temp!, again ok for 5 mins till it all broke off!! and fell out. So just looking to get a stainless clamp to hold it together with the paste,
twybrow

posted on 24/3/09 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
What sort of diameter is the emissions probe? How far in does it have to go?

I was thinking of welding a large washer on the inside of my tailpipe - do you think this would make much difference?

iiyama

posted on 24/3/09 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Its about 4-5mm in dia and they shove it in about 3-400 mm.

twybrow

posted on 24/3/09 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Fantastic, I might try an experiment tonight then with a large washer(s) welded into the outlet. It will screw the power delivery, but I'm not driving it very far....!
nitram38

posted on 24/3/09 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Fantastic, I might try an experiment tonight then with a large washer(s) welded into the outlet. It will screw the power delivery, but I'm not driving it very far....!

It might also change your emissions so recheck again afterwards

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.