Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RX8 - has anyone had one?
Coose

posted on 24/3/09 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
RX8 - has anyone had one?

I'm contemplating a Mazda RX8 to replace my Datsun EnTrail company car (which is up for renewal) as my choices of affordable company car replacements is abysmal! (Vauxhall Insignia anyone? No? Thought not..... )

Anyhoo, has anyone owned an RX8 and what are they like to live with? I've read several forums and have found out what to look for and am aware of the possible thirst for oil and definitely for petrol, and the fact that you MUST use the correct oil but has anyone got any constructive comments?

Cheers,
Coose

Spin 'er off Well...

owelly

posted on 24/3/09 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
The wheels off an RX8 will fit your Bongo......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 24/3/09 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
hello

I had one of the first ones, yes it drinks oil like a good un.

loved the car to drive and handling, but to me the let down was the interior build quality which to me was just appalling, and the main reason i got shot of mine, maybe should have just scrapped it and used it a donor

blakep82

posted on 24/3/09 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
i quite like the insignia actually... ok, so bits of it are a bit funny looking, but overall i like it

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Coose

posted on 24/3/09 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hector.Brocklebank
hello

I had one of the first ones, yes it drinks oil like a good un.

loved the car to drive and handling, but to me the let down was the interior build quality which to me was just appalling, and the main reason i got shot of mine, maybe should have just scrapped it and used it a donor

I had a look at a couple yesterday and the interior quality seems pretty good to me!? The only thing I didn't like was the fact that, as they were both red they had the red/black tarts boudoir interior. Needless to say I wouldn't be getting a red one....

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i quite like the insignia actually... ok, so bits of it are a bit funny looking, but overall i like it

Yes, but it's a Vauxhall......

[Edited on 24/3/09 by Coose]

Spin 'er off Well...

John.Taylor

posted on 24/3/09 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto on the Insignia (although it has some poor lines around the boot on the hatch which are best hid with black paint) and the new Avensis too for that matter. I bet Ford are non too happy with the conservative styling of their new Mundano now!

Back to the RX8 and two of my friends have had them, one had a new engine at 45k and the other at 60k - both were sold on and sadly missed as soon as they were fixed.

Coose

posted on 24/3/09 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John.Taylor
Back to the RX8 and two of my friends have had them, one had a new engine at 45k and the other at 60k - both were sold on and sadly missed as soon as they were fixed.

Why? As I said you MUST use mineral 5W/30 oil and keep a close eye on the level, plus a good caning does them the world of good to clear the muck off the rotor tips as they can stick. Was this the reason?

Spin 'er off Well...

l0rd

posted on 24/3/09 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
If you find one with a 5 speed manual knob can you knick it for me?

cash waiting

jlparsons

posted on 24/3/09 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
I very nearly bought one, still partly wish I did. I went with a BMW 320d instead - bit of an opposite! I loved the way it drove, felt really balanced and well sorted. Loved the sound of the engine, the almost turbine-like whir to it too, though I know a lot of folk hate that.

Top tip - if buying new, get the leather done by a third party. Mazda in Cardiff had a couple that they'd bought with cloth seat and used an auto-leather guy in Swansea to leather clad them. It was cheaper than the factory stuff and way, way better quality leather and stitching - plus the tunnel and seat backs were leather too whch they're not in the factory option. The other plus with going third party is it does away with the electric seat option that comes with the factory leather - for some amazingly dull reason the electric seats don't have a release catch to allow someone to get into the back. You have to move the seat with the electric switches and then move it back and try to find your driving position again. Mad!!

iain b

posted on 24/3/09 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
i bought a brand new 04 in red. loved the car.i owned mine my self so the running cost killed me.if your company are paying the fuel and oil BILLS THEN TAKE A TAKE A TEST DRIVE.i sold mine bought the wife a pug 107 and me an mnr vortx r1 ,,,money well spent.....
Antnicuk

posted on 24/3/09 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
early ones used more oil than the newer ones, the latest interior should be a bit better now also.

They have very little torque so be prepared to use all 6 gears and rev it . Also, dont get the lower power one.

Just dont use fully synthetic oil.

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

Coose

posted on 24/3/09 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'll get an allowance which should be more than enough to pay for a nice, low mileage '04 or '05. Plus I will get mileage, but not enough to cover the fuel which is why I'd be looking at a much-cheaper older car.

If it does turn out to be too costly to run I could always sell it and by a horrible diesel slug......

Spin 'er off Well...

jlparsons

posted on 24/3/09 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antnicuk

They have very little torque so be prepared to use all 6 gears and rev it .

All part of the fun!

quote:

Also, dont get the lower power one.

Mazda seem to agree - I think they just ditched the lower power one?

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

iain b

posted on 24/3/09 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
i was also thinking of an rx8 engine in my mnr but i am told there would be an ecu problem..
joemotion

posted on 24/3/09 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I had to sell mine due to me changing jobs and having to do a 90 mile min round trip each day - however i loved that car and it got everybody going in the strata blue! Didnt use much oil really however average 19 miles to the gallon which was a pain! you can get em cheap at the mo - i found out the hard way as lost £5700 in depreciation over one year when the credit crunch kicked in!!!
Toprivetguns

posted on 24/3/09 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Just be weary about rotor tips. I know they have overcome this since the RX-7, however its something to bear in mind. Also looking at 19MPG, you can get Monaro's under 10k which do the same if not more MPG. Solid Chevy engine aswell, but im biast by displacement LOL....

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

Antnicuk

posted on 24/3/09 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
i love rotaries but if i had to choose between a monaro and an rx8 as a daily i would have the Monaro! LPG it if need be.

The rx8 engine will go into any car but you have to throw away mazda's ecu as its too difficult to get the stock ecu to work out of the car with all the other sensors it uses. You can get a programmable ecu which will run it, get you better fuel economy, a little more power and can be tuned when you stick a turbo on it!

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

Coose

posted on 25/3/09 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
The main difference between a £10k Monaro and a £6k RX8 is £4k, which would pay towards an awful lot of juice! As I said, I do get a mileage allowance, though at 20mpg I would be paying 6p/mile towards it, but that's my reasoning for looking at a £6k car to start with that has character and not a £15k diesel family boring saloon!

Any more comments keep 'em coming!

Spin 'er off Well...

Meeerrrk

posted on 26/3/09 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, i had a 04reg 230bhp model a few years back.

it was a good car, yes it was quite thursty but as long as you prepare yourself for that then it shouldnt be a problem. The oil useage never really bothered me; you get a little pouch to keep the oil in the boot & i used to check mine every other fill up.
At the time, i paid 18500 for mine, i wouldnt have said it was worth that really but for the money you can get them for now they are fantastic value for money.
Quick, stylish and "funky" but also practical; you can get 4 adults in without much complaints!
regards
Mark

[Edited on 26/3/09 by Meeerrrk]

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

Coose

posted on 26/3/09 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Meeerrrk
Hi, i had a 04reg 230bhp model a few years back.

it was a good car, yes it was quite thursty but as long as you prepare yourself for that then it shouldnt be a problem. The oil useage never really bothered me; you get a little pouch to keep the oil in the boot & i used to check mine every other fill up.
At the time, i paid 18500 for mine, i wouldnt have said it was worth that really but for the money you can get them for now they are fantastic value for money.
Quick, stylish and "funky" but also practical; you can get 4 adults in without much complaints!
regards
Mark

[Edited on 26/3/09 by Meeerrrk]

Cheers old chap, that's exactly why I'm thinking of getting one - it's one of the few interesting affordable production cars that you can get that's also practical enough to bung Coose Jnr's seat in the back and also use every day!

Spin 'er off Well...

Meeerrrk

posted on 26/3/09 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
your right. if i hadnt have already owned one then i would probably get one once i sell my locost.

Go for it im sure you wont regret it

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

Coose

posted on 26/3/09 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
I might when I'm spending a squillion quid a week on juice (25-30000 miles per year), but I can always sell it if it gets too bad!

Spin 'er off Well...

StevieB

posted on 1/4/09 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Evenin' Mr Coose!

I have a mate with an RX8 - I'm sure he'd take you out for a blast if you want. He's done a fair bit of mileage in it (including a trip round the nurburgring too) and loves it (though it might be due for replacement quite soon). Bit thirsty though!

Coose

posted on 1/5/09 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
A bit of an interesting update on this ord thread - I went to look at an RX8 (231bhp) at lunchtime. It had done 39k and was at a dealers not far from StevieB. I saw it in their workshop the other week and it was up on the lift with the gearbox, prop-shaft, all four wheels and the exhaust back box off. *Apparently*, it was getting a new set of tyres (which it has) and they were changing a crank seal. Today I was told that it has had a new clutch, which I suppose could be because of the crank seal (though I would've checked the engine number against that on the logbook to see if it had been changed recently).

Anyway, it had the usual rust blisters on the sills where the two doors meet, though I think that Mazda were sorting this on a recall, respraying the area and covering with a clear film not dissimilar to that found on the front of the rear wheelarches to stop stone chips. Also, there was a fair bit of mayo on the dipstick, but they're prone to this if not given a good regular thrashing!

Anyway, I blagged a test drive and I must say that I was sadly disappointed. I know that they're not meant to be particularly torquey, but it felt decidedly flat! I at least expected an explosive top-end (not literally!), but it just revved and went faster - it wasn't slow as such, just uninspiring! I could understand if it was really heavy, but it isn't particularly (1380kg) - even my R1 Striker felt significantly more torquey than this!

The handling felt quite remote, which also surprised me. There appeared to be very little feedback and it felt like it had too much castor as it didn't turn-in as well as I expected, and when driving slowly it felt like the front of the car would rise and dip excessively as you turned the wheel.

About 30 minutes into my drive I managed to stall it at a junction. I'm not really a numpty - I think that the clutch needed bleeding....
Now, I'm aware that they're not unheard of for flooding when cold, but (and you just knew there was going to be a "but" ) guess what - it wouldn't start! It would turn over on the starter but would it 'eckers like fire! After sitting for about 20 minutes I did manage to get it going again, to be greeted on my return by a rather-embarrassed salesman. He did make a good point that there was a known issue with the starter motor turning too slowly which can then cause it to flood, where an upgraded one can resolve this and that they would fit one before it is sold. But, needless to say it has put me off a bit and I can't see me buying one!

Spin 'er off Well...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.