Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suspension setup today
stuart_g

posted on 27/3/09 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Suspension setup today

I had a full geometry setup today on the Vortx at AB Performance. Very friendly company to deal with, they are top blokes and I would recommend them to anyone.

The car is very stable now and feels planted through the twisties. I had a good drive home.

Here is a couple of pic's of the scales taken whilst corner weighting for proof of wieght.

First is the car with half a tank of fuel. 478 Kg's in full road trim is certainly lighter than I thought it would be.
Description
Description

Next is the car with me in it. 558 Kg's is what I was expecting it to weigh without me in it.
Description
Description

Overall I have had an excellent day and I'm well pleased with the result .

omega0684

posted on 27/3/09 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
without appearing to be tooo nosey, but how much did it cost you?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Kev99

posted on 27/3/09 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Was it just the corner weights done or did u have the front and rear castor /camber etc adjusted as well ?

And Yes I agree it would be nice to know a ballpark figure for it

Kev.....

stuart_g

posted on 27/3/09 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kev99
Was it just the corner weights done or did u have the front and rear castor /camber etc adjusted as well ?

And Yes I agree it would be nice to know a ballpark figure for it

Kev.....

It was a full geometry setup inc front and rear wheel alignment, camber, tracking and corner weighting. Castor is not adjustable on this car.

Ball park figure is a very reasonable £150 + VAT I think it is a standard geometry setup charge but best to ring Andy to check.

Johneturbo

posted on 27/3/09 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Stu,
Thats a good weight hopefuly mine will be around that figure now i don't have the reverse

does it feel more planted on the front
i still feel like i'm chasing the steering a bit, but that could be the slop in the QR

i need mine setting up a bit better, even thou i've had it 4wheel lasered.

shame they are so far, but might be worth a day out

sorens2

posted on 27/3/09 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Here is mine.
Quite a bit heavier than yours with me in it. And a ZX12R. 37 L fuel.
Low fuel and no driver it´s 490 kg.

Soren S2

[Edited on 27/3/09 by sorens2]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stuart_g

posted on 27/3/09 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo
Hey Stu,
Thats a good weight hopefuly mine will be around that figure now i don't have the reverse

does it feel more planted on the front
i still feel like i'm chasing the steering a bit, but that could be the slop in the QR

i need mine setting up a bit better, even thou i've had it 4wheel lasered.

shame they are so far, but might be worth a day out

Hi John,

The car feels stuck to the road and corners like it's on rails.
When it was measured up we found it had a lot of toe out on the front but the steering felt light to me. Now the adjustments have been made the steering is still light but the car steers a lot sharper, if you see what I mean.
What lb springs did you fit on the front of your car this time? I still have the 150lb springs on the front of mine the same as you fitted to your last car. These to me made a big difference in the handling as I can now see the front suspension actually working. It is still firm but it is now more controlled over bumpy roads.

It may be worth giving Andy a call and dicussing it with him.
If you do come over maybe we could combine it with a trackday at Snetterton, not sure when there is one on but we could find out.

Sorens, That is still a good weight with the full cage. I like your wheels what make are they?

[Edited on 27/3/09 by stuart_g]

marc n

posted on 27/3/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
andy is a very helpfull chap, i try to encorage everyone to get their car professionally setup as the difference is huge ( for example the manual for our wheel aligner says its acceptable for a car to be within four lines front and rear which can equate to nearly ten mill )

ref weights its a power verses weight dilema, we did an 06 r1 racecar with doorbars petty strutt etc that came in at under 428 with 12 litres of fuel with 8 inch wide slicks you took off the arm bars and petty strutt, and cat and swaped silencer for an alloy one, took off original stainless mnr supplied manifold and replaced with an inconnel manifold it came in at 398 / 399, swap all hex bolts for dome headed cap screws and used k nuts instead of nylocs it could be reduced by quite a bit, but just altering those variables would cost 2k

did you know 15inch to 13 inch wheels can make as much as 14 kilos per car

whereas a dry sumped busa etc may have more beans but carries nearly 10 ltres of oil, has 18 kilos of pipes /oil / fittings / oil cooler plus bracketry and securing fasteners for all and the engine is a lot heavier to start with

although these new modern swing sumps as ab makes are fantastic and save a lot of money / hassle and weight and so much simpler and just a reliable

hope to see you at stoneleigh guys and also at the bash im trying to sort with live music, bar and onsite camping

cheers

marc

[Edited on 27/3/09 by marc n]

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
GregMcN

posted on 1/4/09 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Front toe out?

You say reduced toe out improved things but wondered what it is set to now?

Actually list of all settings would be of interest and would be interested on people's views on road Vs track settings.

Cheers Greg

paublo999

posted on 2/4/09 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Castor Angles/MNR Setup?

can someone help me out by posting a basic trackday/competition suggested setup for an inboard shocked MNR.

Mine has been in for new wishbones and I need a starting point to work from.

Castor angles - any ideas how many washers on each side of each of the rod ends? I seem to remember the washers being arranged to maximise the castor angles - e.g. all of the washers infront of the rod end on the top wishbone mounts and opposite on the bottom.

Front tow - usually a smidgen of negative/ tow out? Any thoughts?

Should be alright for camber between 1 and 1.5 degrees as i am running ACB10's.

I hope to be ready with the new car for the first sprint on the 11th of April at Kames.

Cheers
Paul

My videos http://www.youtube.com/user/ninjabogeyracing

richardh

posted on 2/4/09 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
setup wise 1 - 1.25 deg negative camber
and 1mm toe in each corner is a good safe setting, tyres 16 psi front 18 rear

best rolling road is tts by far

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.