Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec install progress - sump construction underway
flak monkey

posted on 19/2/10 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Made a little more progress this afternoon. Had to come in as its really quite cold and damp outside now

First job was to add another bit to the supercharger bracket. There was a bolt hole in just the right place, and the mod should stiffen up the bracket as I was concerned about it twisting should I start to increase boost.

Supercharger mount mod 2
Supercharger mount mod 2

Also got the water outlet fitted after drilling and tapping to fit the water temp thermocouple for the dash. Can start working out the cooling pipe layout, along with fuel pipe layout etc.

Water outlet and coil
Water outlet and coil

Next started making the mounting brackets for the supercharger oil cooler.

Charger oil cooler 1
Charger oil cooler 1

Charger oil cooler 2
Charger oil cooler 2

Tomorrow I plan to start having a look at the mounts for the rad/intercooler. Then I really need to test out the hydraulic clutch before finally starting to connect the electrics, cooling and fuel up.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

goaty

posted on 20/2/10 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
looks very good, does look like it will start gettint tight once pipes start going in.
Out of interest, what injectors are you running now? one in the Tb's? any idea on size yet???
I basically trying to work out what power you think you will be seeing now
now you got the roller barrels on there

Also, are you going to run an oil cooler for the engine too???
Cheers dave

[Edited on 20/2/10 by goaty]

flak monkey

posted on 20/2/10 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
New injectors are 60lb/hr (630cc/min) siemens deka's which at std pressure should be enough for around 400bhp, which is more than I am looking for anyway.

Made some more progress today. Still havent got the clutch tested, but got plenty of other jobs done....

Fitted the fuel rail complete with the new injectors. It did originally foul the idle screw on the throttle bodies, so I had to cut that down. Also looks like access will be tight to the balance screws, but not impossible

Fuel rail fitted 1
Fuel rail fitted 1

Next job was to test fit the rad/intercooler. I have recycled the old 1.5mm thick stainless brackets I made for the original polo radiator, and just chopped them about a bit so that they suit the new rad/intercooler. I had to make sure that it was as close to chassis as possible, but still allowing space for the rad fan behind it as it is so thick there is no room at all to spare in the front.

rad fitting 1
rad fitting 1

Rad fitting 2
Rad fitting 2

Once I was happy with the position of it, the brackets were riveted to the chassis. And this is how its all ened up. Very happy with the fitment. Theres 3mm clear to the chassis on the bottom hose, and the same to the intercooler hoses in the nose.

Rad fitting 3
Rad fitting 3

Rad fitting 4
Rad fitting 4

Rad fitting 5
Rad fitting 5

Rad fitting6
Rad fitting6

Rad fitting 7
Rad fitting 7

Test fitted the plenum with the spacers too. Looks like I could skim around 5mm off the thick spacer, and maybe 3mm off the middle spacer. This would mean there would be plenty of clearance between the plenum and the inside of the bonnet and mean nothing sticking out the side of the bonnet.

Plenum test fitting 1
Plenum test fitting 1

Plenum test fitting 2
Plenum test fitting 2

Its going to be tight in several places once all the pipe work is in situ, so I am trying to mock as much up as possible now so I can figure out where everything is going to end up. Spent some time tidying the wiring too, looks like it will all work out ok.

Last job today was to mock up the supercharger to intercooler pipework, and it looks like it will work out as planned.

Intercooler pipe work mock up

Sera

beaver34

posted on 20/2/10 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
looks good, nice short pipework to cooler and looks neat!
goaty

posted on 21/2/10 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
that looks abosutley amazing, the look of it with all the bits coming together makes it look wicked, really love the pic looking from the front with the nose sat on.Bet you are really pleased with progress
Stuart_B

posted on 21/2/10 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
wow, that is coming on nicely.

i do not think i would have been brave enough to drill those throttle boddies.lol

i am looking foward to seeing this.

keep up the good work david.

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

eddie99

posted on 21/2/10 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Stunning as usual... keep it up! Can't wait to see it this summer!
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
FASTdan

posted on 22/2/10 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Looking very nice indeed, custom rad and cooler are bang on!

Have you got round to looking at fitting the pinto exhaust manifold yet?

We provisionally dropped our dura in over the weekend. I was looking at the manifold and hadnt appreciated the quite big difference in exhaust port spacing.

I'm just uming and ahing about which way to go. I've got a duratec flange, and my intention was to mod the existing headers to suit, but just not sure the best way to go about it.....

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
flak monkey

posted on 22/2/10 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust is on the list of jobs for this weekend.

The middle 2 ports are pretty close (about 5-10mm) the outer 2 are further apart and need a bend welding in to get them to meet up. I reckon some welding/cutting and a 45deg bend should sort it.

David

Sera

goaty

posted on 22/2/10 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
i see you managed to sort out a tps, what was it off in the end? zetec??
do love the look of the plenum on it, sweps round lovely.

flak monkey

posted on 22/2/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
The TPS is from a duratec engined mondeo from what I can tell.

Got a new one from cosworth though as it was only £25

Itching to get back out in the garage really....shame the car's 20miles away

Should be able to test the clutch this week. If all OK then its time to sort the exhaust and finish the rest of the wiring....

Sera

goaty

posted on 23/2/10 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
wont be long till she firing up
flak monkey

posted on 23/2/10 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Well the clutch seems to function (rocking the car backwards and forwards in gear it seems to release with spare travel ok).

Time will tell if there are any leaks anywhere inside the bellhousing.

The master cylinder just needs finally bolting in (could be challenging as access to bolts is tight to say the least!) and the clevis and pedal setting up properly. Which will be the first job next time I am in the garage.

Then its time to start sorting the plumbing for the radiator and fuelling. Its all going to be very tight, I know that much, and I think I will probably spend longer staring at the car trying to figure out where everything is going to go!

Sera

goaty

posted on 23/2/10 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
tell me about it, took me 3 hours today standing looking at making engine mounts, got the basis sorted at least, on with 2mo

just keep plugging, no questioning it will be tight, i got inboard suspension too

flak monkey

posted on 27/2/10 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
After the annoyance of having to have the engine out as the clutch cylinder was leaking, things are picking up again I think, though I dont want to speak too soon!

Spent all afternoon yesterday trying to cure the leak on the concentric slave cylinder. Typically it was the fitting I made that was leaking. Tightening it up some more seems to have cured the major leak. There was also a secondary leak from the compression fitting on the hose, which I also think I have now fixed...I'll find out sooner or later I guess!

Today has been spent getting the engine mounted back in the chassis properly making sure all the bellhousing bolts are tight and properly fitting the clutch master cylinder. Then loads of other little jobs...

Made new battery cables to suit from the more newer, more flexible stuff. Well recommended over the older hard to work with stuff.

Finished off the engine wiring too, just the coil pack to connect up when I can find a suitable connector for it and the VR sensor to connect.

Mocked up the top hose for the cooling too, need another 45 deg bend to bring it all in alignment though.

Started to try and figure out how to layout the fuel system too, as there's not much space. Looks like its all going to fit in there some how though.

Sera

flak monkey

posted on 28/2/10 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Finished off a few more bits today.

Found a home for the fuel pump, which keeps it out of the way of all the other piping which has to fit in the same area. Just need to tidy up the wiring running alongside the battery. But I have yet to run the MAP line for the ECU, alternator charging cable and the starter cable.

Fuelling
Fuelling

Fuelling 2
Fuelling 2

This is the mock up of the top hose.

Top hose mock up
Top hose mock up

Mocked up the bottom hose to the radiator too which looks like it might just fit around everything else....

Bottom hose 1
Bottom hose 1

Bottom hose 2
Bottom hose 2

Finally finished the last idler pulley off too, so there is now a full complement of alloy pulleys on the engine.

Idlers
Idlers

[Edited on 28/2/10 by flak monkey]

Sera

goaty

posted on 28/2/10 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
not too far left now
goaty

posted on 28/2/10 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
also, on the top of your roller barrel's, what are the what look like bleed screws for??

cheers

and i keep forgetting to ask what spark plugs you have gone for?? not sure which would suit best...lol

[Edited on 28/2/10 by goaty]

flak monkey

posted on 28/2/10 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
They are bleed screws so you can balance each individual throttle body

I have just put 1 stage colder plugs in than standard, can't remember what the number is off the top of my head though

Sera

eddie99

posted on 28/2/10 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Keep Plugging away David, You'll be done soon at that rate
Tim 45

posted on 1/3/10 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
David, looking good!

Just reading through some of your posts you keep mentioning you want around 300bhp/300Nm....

What have you done to your gearbox to rate it to that sort of power? I was under the impression that the heaviest duty "off the shelf" kits were rated to 280bhp/250 Nm(bgh) and 250bhp (quaife)...

With the power that you're getting, I wouldnt have thought the type 9 box is capable in any configuration of the power you're after....

Caterham use their own custom built box, and i'm assuming that had to be uprated for their X330 concept...

I find that given a gearbox upgrade is needed on an install this powerful brings in an added cost that has no real option of DIY...and hence the idea that an install such as yours can be done on the cheap, is slightly misleading...

[Edited on 2/3/10 by Tim 45]

sebastiaan

posted on 1/3/10 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
MAP sampling

Hi David,

As you've drilled your TB's (and are going to run MS2?), you might want to try the latest version of the MS2 extra code once the engine is ready to fire up. A change to the MAP sampling has been (finally!) implemented to make sure the MAP is only measured in a certain crank angle degree window (which you can specify). The code then uses the lowest value measured in that window. This should enable you to run just one MAP line from one throttlebody and do away with the horrendous map filter / transient detection killer / vacuum manifold that is so often used.

Good luck! ;-)

Sebastiaan

ETA: this topic describes the alorithm in a bit more detail: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31877&hilit=sampling

[Edited on 1/3/10 by sebastiaan]

flak monkey

posted on 6/3/10 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Just finished off my exhaust manifold. Took a bit of doing, but I am quite pleased with the results. The welding isnt the neatest, but there we go.

Started off by chopping the old flange off the pinto exhuast, then clamping cyl 2 and 3 runners in the right place using a jubilee clip. The spacing is about 10mm different between the duratec and pinto.

Exhaust 1
Exhaust 1

Cyl 1 and 4 required more adjustment, and I cut the runners back about 4". The cut and welded 2 mandrel bent 45 deg tubes to suit.

Exhaust 2
Exhaust 2

Not too worried about the visual appearance of the welds on the runners as they will be covered by exhaust wrap eventually.

Exhaust 3
Exhaust 3

And thankfully it all fits ok.

Exhaust 4
Exhaust 4

And there's plenty of clearance to the supercharger too.

Exhaust 5
Exhaust 5

Now going to go and sort the link pipe for between the manifold and silencer

Sera

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 6/3/10 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
excellent work on the manifold there, looks very neat, what are the main jobs left on the list before stonleigh? Also, out of interest, what has been the hardest bit of the conversion so far?

cheers!

flak monkey

posted on 6/3/10 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, its coming on. Theres still quite a bit to do before stoneleigh, though I am hoping to get it running in the next couple of weeks.

I need to get the supercharger oil system finished, rad fan mounted, wiring for the coil and VR sensor, plumbing finally clipped in, rad fan mounted, fuel system finished, header tank mounted and thats about it for the engine side. After that the whole back end needs to be stripped down so I can change the diff and fit the discs etc. The suspension all needs repainting too.

Will see how I get on tomorrow, hoping to tidy up a lot of the small odd jobs tomorrow.

Cut the original link pipe to suit so now the exhaust is all sitting as it should

Exhaust finished
Exhaust finished

Also tidied up the top hose, just needs clipping to finish

Top hose
Top hose

Not sure what the trickiest job has been. Nothings been really difficult but there has been a lot of things to work out along the way. Clutch has been a pain from start to finish...

Sera

<<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.