Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pinto help
rosey1

posted on 31/3/09 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
pinto help

i have a 2ltr pinto in an mk indy .I need a bit of help i took the car to a garage 80 mile away to get a stage 2 head done and a mild cam and brand new twin webber carb now the car wont run proply so rang him he cant look at it for 3 weeks so took to local garage and they can only get it to run when timing is 40 degrees out it ticks over really nice but when you put foot down it coughs and splutters have you any idea whats wrong
vinny1275

posted on 31/3/09 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Is the cam timing right? There was a thread on here about a rebuilt engine being 1 vernier tooth out, and it was wrong by 40 degrees...

Get the garage to confirm the timing with a timing light?

HTH

Vince

Mark Allanson

posted on 31/3/09 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
A very quick check is to put a strobe on the crank, adjust the dial to TDC and then shine it at the cam. You can then see where the cam timing is.

Fiat FIRE engines are very cam timing sensitive, and the cambelt adjuster can change the timing slightly. I used to statically set up the cam and then fine tune it using the adjuster, a bit risky unless you know what you are doing, but worthwhile on performance.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

mark chandler

posted on 31/3/09 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Cam a tooth out here as well, I have seen the same symptoms.

On the head there is a dot, on the cam pulley a pointer, with the engine at TDC these should allign or be 18 degrees out.

Regards Mark

rusty nuts

posted on 31/3/09 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with the cam timing being the probable cause but it may be better to check the timing using a dial gauge and timing wheel as the original marks may no longer be relevant . To do that you need to know what cam you have and the correct timing figures. A vernier cam wheel may be needed to get the timing spot on??
rosey1

posted on 31/3/09 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replys the guys who are looking at it now are baffeled and think that something has being put together wrong the garage who originaly fitted it says it did not need a vernier pully whats your thoughts
rusty nuts

posted on 31/3/09 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
What did it run like when you got it back from the first garage? If it has never run right since you got it back then they or something they did is at fault and they should sort it out . It is possible that the cam has jumped a tooth but if the belt was tensioned correctly it shouldn't have in which case the first garage is at fault? As to whether or not you need a vernier only checking the timing with a dial gauge and timing wheel etc will tell. If the cam was a regrind and the head has been skimmed the valve timing will be affected
rosey1

posted on 31/3/09 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
never took it for a run as it did not have tax but it did tick over as nice as it dose now it only coughs and spurts when you put foot down the first garage says it cant be looked at for a bit and i cant get trailer as easy now
mookaloid

posted on 31/3/09 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely needs a vernier pulley or you need to be lucky if the standard pulley is to be anywhere near right

[Edited on 31/3/09 by mookaloid]

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.