Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: If you fancy a laugh.....
flak monkey

posted on 31/3/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
If you fancy a laugh.....

An inconvenient truth is on C4 this weekend.

Huzzah, more scaremongering made it to mainstream TV....And its being billed as the ultimate film on the subject too....

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

clairetoo

posted on 31/3/09 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

smart51

posted on 31/3/09 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
I take it you're a sceptic then? I doubt the film is a bit of a laugh.
flak monkey

posted on 31/3/09 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
I take it you're a sceptic then? I doubt the film is a bit of a laugh.

Yep..you guessed correctly

I've made my views clear several times, so shant repeat them....

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

chrisg

posted on 31/3/09 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Biggest load of b*ll*cks I've ever seen, blatent propaganda.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

paulf

posted on 31/3/09 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Its not so long ago that channel 4 showed the great global warming swindle.
There obviously trying to show they are unbiased although I side with the first program.
Paul.

mark chandler

posted on 31/3/09 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
The film raises some interesting questions surely, okay a decent sized comet hitting the earth would kill life quickly but it is undeniable that we are poisoning the planet.

Surely anything that attempts to control or highlight this has got to be a good thing?

Why so anti

Mark Allanson

posted on 31/3/09 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Al Gore said it is true - so it HAS to be complete tosh

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

omega0684

posted on 31/3/09 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
i believe everything i read in the Sun, the Mirror and the Daily Sport, its the telegraph, the Daily Mail and the financial times that are full of cr*p
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RoadkillUK

posted on 31/3/09 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Too many people, (the rest of this sentence has been self censored so as not to offend people)

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jlparsons

posted on 31/3/09 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
It's all manbearpig's fault.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

Simon

posted on 31/3/09 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Like I said in another post, the only way to stop global warming (which I disagree has anything to do with the human being and everything to do with cycles of a much greater nature - like longer than the human race has been making fire), is to remove all living things which produce gg's (of which the most abundant is......... water vapour!) .

Kind of becomes pointless to remove life to save the planet from an unproven non existent threat so nothing can not live on it. Kind of thing!

It's all an excuse to raise tax, and give teachers something to talk to their classs about as they don't actually need to educate them in chosen subjects as a) that can be learnt from wiki and b) they don't need to know much for the exams - writing your name gets you a "d"

ATB

Simon

speedyxjs

posted on 1/4/09 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Obviously we are contributing to global warming but an average volcanic eruption put out more CO2 than all humans do in one year. Now how many volcano's erupt in a year?

As said, its all an excuse to raise tax. Before global warming, there was global cooling so my solution is to pump out as much crap as we can to cool the planet. That way we will be fine for a few decades before we have to do it again

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

cd.thomson

posted on 1/4/09 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Is this like.. An April Fools joke? Surely no single collection of people could all share such clarksonesque views, even petrol heads?

I mean, I love destroying the environment as much as the next guy, but can you honestly say that a human population of 6 billion+ producing thousands/millions/billions of tonnes of CO2 and NH3 (proven global warming accelerators) and very effectively destroying the largest green house gas sponges on the planet compared to an Earth with no influence from Man is going to be experiencing the same cycles of warming and cooling?

Its like saying that Jewish people die all the time, so the holocaust was nothing particularly out of the ordinary .

I'm not suggesting we all go preindustrial, but when huge swathes of the population are starving, fossil fuels are getting scarce and were still insistent on severely posioning the planet - its about time we man up and accept some responsibility.

Staple balls

posted on 1/4/09 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Oooh, Godwin's Law!

I'm gonna take the Clarkson-esque view here too. While we're probably not great for the planet, it cools down and warms up anyway.

Remember when it was called global warming? they had to change that to climate change because it stopped warming up.

I like to think of these phenomena as Weather. Y'know, that stuff that happened before we were here?

quote:
I'm not suggesting we all go preindustrial, but when huge swathes of the population are starving

That's more to do with where they are in the world, and strange economic happenings (which I'll touch on below)

quote:
fossil fuels are getting scarce and were still insistent on severely posioning the planet

I'm not convinced fossils fuels are getting scarce, there's a lot of them about in places we just can't get at so easily due to political crap.

As far as fossil fuels and people starving/poverty...

There's a link, over the last few years a lot of crops have been going to making biofuel, pushing the cost of crops up, and forcing more people into poverty.

[Edited on 1/4/09 by Staple balls]

woodster

posted on 1/4/09 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
global warming man made my a*rse just another reason to tax folk buy an atlas have a look at how small the uk is then measure the populated areas we really are very insignificant .... me switching my lights off saving the world ..... YEAH RIGHT
cd.thomson

posted on 1/4/09 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
haha, i think thats the first reference to Godwins Law I've spotted on this forum .

I do acknowledge that actually KNOWING humans are having an adverse effect or not is close to impossible. We've not been around for long enough!

What sways me to the green/dark side (as far as this forum is concerned) is the fact that environmental scientists were whinging about these issues way way before it picked up political momentum and people started discussing tax (as per usual )

Oh and on the "switch off lights front" I think its more a principle that if everyone did it then it would make a difference...rather than just you woodster unless you're running some megamega wattage lamps!

[Edited on 1/4/09 by cd.thomson]

Craig

Staple balls

posted on 1/4/09 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
What sways me to the green/dark side (as far as this forum is concerned) is the fact that environmental scientists were whinging about these issues way way before it picked up political momentum and people started discussing tax (as per usual )

This is a fair point, but as greenpeace and the like have been floating about since the 70s, it's fairly difficult to find any recent studies that haven been politically biased to some degree.

Personally, I'm sitting on the fence, but I prefer the rational view, not the reactionary one.

Also, if fossil fuels are so bad, why aren't we using more nuclear power?

It's bloody safe these days, and even if stuff does go very wrong (see: Chernobyl) you just end up with a nice big wildlife sanctuary where humans fear to tread.

trogdor

posted on 1/4/09 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
yep it pretty much is an excuse to tax us, we should reduce our CO2 emissions as much as is reasonable but everything living emits it, (including plants) and as mentioned earlier water vapour and methane are far bigger contributions to the climate change effect.

It does irritant me when peeps say the electric cars etc are good for the environment, which is not true as you move the emissions to the power station. That said it will be a more efficient use of said emissions.

I liked the idea of a plug in hybrid, from the death of the electric car show. would be ideal for someone who does low mileage a week so gets 150mpg for the first 60 miles from a full charge but will do long journeys occasionally.

I won't have one as its still cheaper to run my £150 audi 80 which i spend a few hundred a year on maintenance and will get about 35mpg with it. Its on a carb and its better than some modern cars!

chrisg

posted on 1/4/09 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
The whole thing is gigantic con, working on the usual principal, known as the "bastard principal".

They want your money - in this case "green" taxes.

They pick a side. If you happen to disagree or are savvy enough to see through the bullshit then you're a bastard.

In this case you're the bastard who wants to kill babies with your pollution.

The effect is that anyone who takes a contrary view can be portrayed as the bad guy - the bastard.

If you oppose speed cameras, you're the bastard who wants to run over babies in the street and drive as fast as you like, ignoring the fact that road deaths aren't falling, police traffic patrols have decreased by 60% and speed is the only road traffic offence that is policed anymore.

Anyway

Today I'm the bastard

Global warming - sorry "climate change" - there is no proof it exists and don't you think it even a little suspicious that everything that can "Save the planet" is going to cost you money?

The earth has warmed up and cooled down cyclically since the days of the dinosaurs - all them triceratops must have had V8's.

If you're happy to believe what you're told and pay through the nose for the privellige then that's up to you but I'm not the bad guy because I'm not

Chris

Try this

[Edited on 1/4/09 by chrisg]

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

cd.thomson

posted on 1/4/09 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
no no, as I've said its going to impossible to prove the level of human contribution to climate change, although some influence is undeniable.

I'm not thinking green and I'm certainly not thinking taxes. I'm a scientist and I've made a hypothesis based on observations of how insulating certain gases are (that we happen to produce in abundance) and the fact that the climate IS changing more rapidly than would be expected from historical records. You've formed an opposing hypothesis based on a different set of data (namely ice core climate records). None of this implies that one of our opinions is based on some huge conspiracy theory.

Oh and the dinosaurs happened to have a megatonne meteor to change the climate, the winters didnt just get gradually colder until an ice age started.

Craig

chrisg

posted on 1/4/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
and this

cd.thomson

posted on 1/4/09 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
http://royalsociety.org/page.asp?id=4761&gclid=CIGj7Mrtz5kCFQG7GgodnhCOuA

How about heavily peer reviewed, independent scientific opinion thats strictly regulated and represented by one of the most prestigious scientific communities in the world - if we're playing the linking game?

heres a more easily accessible link, please give it a read:

http://royalsociety.org/page.asp?id=6229

Craig

jeffw

posted on 1/4/09 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
The planet has been cooling for the last 9 years in line with the solar cycle...nothing to do with Climate change bollocks
Staple balls

posted on 1/4/09 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
http://royalsociety.org/page.asp?id=4761&gclid=CIGj7Mrtz5kCFQG7GgodnhCOuA

How about heavily peer reviewed, independent scientific opinion thats strictly regulated and represented by one of the most prestigious scientific communities in the world - if we're playing the linking game?

as you said, it's opinion, and we know all opinion pieces are tosh.

I demand undeniable proof, like the bible.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.