New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: myford laythe
davy

posted on 1/4/09 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
myford laythe

anyone got a super seven myford lathe for sale or know where to look
hughpinder

posted on 2/4/09 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
You can find them on ebay if you know what you're looking at - definately need to see it, and preferable run some tests(or get someone else to do them) to check condition.
I have had good service from gandmtools.co.uk who have several in stock. Myford are very expensive, but good.
Regards
Hugh

designer

posted on 2/4/09 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Myford are an excellent brand, and my dad, a lifetime live stream modeller, has used them for years, but only for model making. They are best on smallish work and softer materials.

If you are a beginner, it would be best to go for a larger, more robust, machine. Colchester student, etc.

And they would, almost certainly, be cheaper

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Phil.J

posted on 2/4/09 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
I tend to agree with Designer, The Myford is ok for model makers but is way too small for most car building applications.
The Colchester Student is a much better option if you can pick one up in good condition.

[Edited on 2/4/09 by Phil.J]

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/4/09 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil.J
I tend to agree with Designer, The Myford is ok for model makers but is way too small for most car building applications.
The Colchester Student is a much better option if you can pick one up in good condition.

[Edited on 2/4/09 by Phil.J]

Well you better tell my Myford that cause we have two of the buggers and we have made parts for more cars than we care to count.........never had a problem

We mill drill and turn with very good results............

David Jenkins

posted on 2/4/09 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Most of the parts I've made for the car using my Colchester Student could have been made on a Myford... or even on my little old Zyto 3.375" lathe. I could easily spin a brake drum or flywheel in the Student if I wished, though.

However, second-hand industrial/school workshop lathes are MUCH cheaper - I paid £200 for my Student. Many are 3-phase, so there's extra expense to consider if you don't have access to a suitable power source. I bought a phase converter for around £200 (they're more like £300 now) but you could just replace the motor for a 1-phase version. There are some limitations doing this (1-phase motors are bigger for the same power, the switchgear will have to be modified a bit, and they don't like to be switched on and off too often as the starter windings can overheat). It's a relatively cheap option though, especially if you can accept a slightly lower power output from a smaller motor.

Make sure that you get a good selection of accessories included, as these can be very expensive in 'industrial grade'.

One caution - old industrial kit is BIG and HEAVY - factor in the cost of shipping the beast around as they can be awkward to move (my Student is 750kg and top-heavy when on the move).

jimmyjimbob

posted on 3/4/09 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote
Myford Super7

I have a Myford Super Seven lathe that I am wanting to sell.

It comes with loads of extras including 3 jaw and four jaw chucks, too much to list.
Below is a photo of the lathe. It is now stored in my garage. If I sell it you would need to arrange pick up. I am in Scotland. Let me know if you are interested and we can talk and arrange something.

Jimmy Rescued attachment Copy of original 1 wee.jpg
Rescued attachment Copy of original 1 wee.jpg

kipper

posted on 4/4/09 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
MYFORD LATHE

I have a myford ml7 lathe in very good condition, 4 jaw chuck, and some tooling ect. Rescued attachment Picture 081.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture 081.jpg

Where did that go?
<<<<

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.