Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto stem seals
gregs

posted on 4/4/09 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto stem seals

All - following on from yesterday's disaster at the RR, took the head off this evening, and what do you know, valve stem seal moving up and down with the valve on cyl 2... have pushed it back into position with a couple of lollipop sticks through the spring - do you think it is likely to pop off again, or should I replace it while the head is off? only complication with replacement is it is a 'special' high lift seal so might not be the easiest to get hold of.

Have looked at the bores and nothing looks odd, so am hoping the stem seal is the only issue...(backed up by yesterday's comp test).

nitram38

posted on 4/4/09 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
If you've got the head off, change it.
You'll wish you had if it comes off again.

omega0684

posted on 4/4/09 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
^ Agreed !
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gregs

posted on 4/4/09 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
yep - your right, should do it properly while the head is off..... will try and sort a replacement seal this week. On the bright side, I don't need a new engine!
Memphis Twin

posted on 4/4/09 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Superglue!!

A few years ago I had the same problem, and was told by a well-known and respected professional race engine builder that he superglues them on!

nitram38

posted on 5/4/09 at 03:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Memphis Twin
Superglue!!

A few years ago I had the same problem, and was told by a well-known and respected professional race engine builder that he superglues them on!

Good idea, but I would glue a new one on.
Apart from the oil which may not help, the spring on the rubber might be damaged where it has been bounching up and down and might not form a seal.

gregs

posted on 5/4/09 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
good idea with the glue. I have just ordered a new set of seals, bolts and head gasket set next....

Thanks for your help everyone.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.