Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: reverse starter motor
davy

posted on 4/4/09 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
reverse starter motor

Is it possible to the reverse the direction of a motorcycle starter motor. I was told to turn the field coils 90degrees but this does not work. Any suggestions welcome.David
westf27

posted on 4/4/09 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
would it be easier to mount the starter on the other side of the flywheel

Miks15

posted on 4/4/09 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
from by basic knowledge of it, you wont just be able to reverse the poles, because then the solenoid will be pushing the wrong way.

I think what youd have to do is open it up and where the solenoid engages the motor circuit, swap it around there, this should work but again like i said this is only based on my very basic knowledge ofit

davy

posted on 4/4/09 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
reverse starter motor

Sorry i should have stated that I require the starter to fire-up a kart engine for my son in law and it has to run anti clock.
Miks15

posted on 4/4/09 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
in which case i assume youll have a remote starter? Therefore not needing the solenoid?

Youll have to strip it down then to just the motor and then just reverse the poles?

DIY Si

posted on 4/4/09 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Would it be possible to use an older Honda starter motor, but maybe change the pinion? Honda engines used to spin the wrong way, and may save some hassle.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

rusty nuts

posted on 5/4/09 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Are you actually using the starter motor fitted to the engine ? Or are you using it to rotate the wheels of a fixed drive go kart?.
davy

posted on 5/4/09 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
reverse starter motor

I am using the starter remotely and with an extension fitted to the starter shaft turn over the kart engine only. The kart is fitted with clutch which engages at a certain rev.
rusty nuts

posted on 5/4/09 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Do you need to use a bike starter or would one from a car do?
davy

posted on 5/4/09 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
reverse starter motor

I have this one to hand and it is very powerful and has great mounting brackets. On the subject I reversed the neg and pos. and the starter ran the right direction, any one see any problems doing this. I was hoping to use a solonoid and a start button any comments welcome
Liam

posted on 5/4/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
How big is the kart engine? I've started lawnmowers and the like with a humble cordless drill with a suitable socket to engage the crank.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
davy

posted on 5/4/09 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
reverse starter motor

The engine is a 125cc high compression and requires quite a speed to start it up. I dismantled the starter and changed the poles but it did not change the direction, but as I sayed early on, when I changed the pos. and neg. around it turned the right direction, but will this do any damage to the starter

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.