Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Converting gauge bulbs to LED
bassett

posted on 7/4/09 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Converting gauge bulbs to LED

Hi, my dash contails the r1 clock, savage switches and some smiths telemetrix gauges. All but the gauges are led, instead just having a dim yellowy 2w bulb. is it difficult to upgrade these to LED's to match the rest?
Cheers
Adam

[Edited on 7/4/09 by bassett]

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

02GF74

posted on 7/4/09 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
it can be done in a number of ways.

buy LED replacement bulbs, can be £££ plus posswibly you may not find small ones like the ones you need; unlikely as there a lots of differnet types out now.

also you may be limited to colour choice.

other way (and locost) is to make you own bulbs - see my thread on this - these wherre to dash lamps thouygh.

for the instruments I used 2 3 mm LEDs pused into the hole and held in place with rubber foam stuff - not had any problems so far.

vinny1275

posted on 7/4/09 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
was looking around for replacement LEDs for Savage switches last night, and depending on teh bulb type you need to replace, there may well be a direct replacement for it on Ebay - just search for 12V LED

How's the re-test work coming along?

Cheers

Vince

mad4x4

posted on 7/4/09 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
By an LED from Maplin and a resistor

V= i x R therefore R = v / i

typlical current for an LED (unless low current) is 20mA (0.020A) so

Typically to get 20mA at 13V (alt running) you would need a 550 Ohm Resistor. This is split as 11v dropped over Resistor and 2v dropped over LED. As you don;t get a 550Ohm resistor typically 560Ohm Is closest giving 19.6 mA through the LED.

For a "dimmer" led (not so bright reduce the current to 10mA and the resistor doubles to 1100Ohms or 1.1K

See More about the Black art of resistors and LED's <- LINK

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

damajin

posted on 7/4/09 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
That's what I did too... I just took an old bulb (a blown one I was struggling to replace) broke the glass bit off with pliers (careful now) and wired in a 5mm LED and resistor into the metal casing using some heat shrink to prevent shorts and a glue gun to hold it all in place. Also worth rubbing the LED over with a bit of wet and dry to roughen the surface as this diffuses the light better.

D

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.