Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX9R Emissions for SVA next week
johncarman

posted on 9/4/09 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
ZX9R Emissions for SVA next week

I am after some advise to get my 2001 zx9r e1 engined locost through the noise and emissions test at sva which is now just over a week away !!
I currently have the standard zx9r e1 exhaust can mounted on custom made headers, currently I have no airbox or filter and all settings are as it came off the bike.
It is likely I will end up with only a day or so to get this setup and it is likely I won't have time to get it on an analyser so I am after some advise in the following areas..

Cat- I am still unsure as to whether the standars zx9r e1 can has a Cat in it or not, some have suggested it has but I am not sure. If not will I be able to get through without one or is it a waste of time turning up without ??

Air Filter - Whats the best thing I can do here to get it through the test. I have very little space to fit a filter, could I use filter socks ??

Jetting / settings - Could somebody give me some advise on what I should be doing here as a best effort to get through the test.

Thanks for your anticipated help.

John

Howlor

posted on 9/4/09 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
I found at the SVA that most of the noise was coming from the induction and mechanical side from the engine bay rather than the 'bean tin' sticking out of the side.

You should be ok I would have thought with the standard can, I found a standard R1 can to be the quietest.

With regards to the Cat I don't know if your can has one but hopefully someone will be along to help. However I would have thought you have Bob Hope chance of getting through without the Cat. Maybe someone on here may have one they can loan you for the day.

Sounds like you need a sausage / flat panel filter from someone like TTS. It's not great for induction noise and you'll need to adjust your settings after SVA to be able to cope with the extra airflow etc but it should fit the gap you have. Failing that socks should be fine, Gap or Next tend to use better fabric!

Steve

adithorp

posted on 9/4/09 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
If the bike can does have a cat it won't be up to the job. Bike emmision requirements are easier than cars and so the cats are very small.

Can't help with the other questions but take it for the test whatever. You'll then have 6 months to get it retested under SVA regs. Miss the test and you could end up dealing with IVA.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

mackei23b

posted on 9/4/09 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Here is the set up I had nad I passed my SVA:

ZX9R C1 Engine
TTS Foam Sausage Filter
MK 4-2-1 Manifold
CAT + R1 Exhaust Can

Dynojet Stage 1 kit (138 Main Jets fitted
Main Air Jet Blocked)
Dynojet Needles installed on fourth groove from the top
Fuel Mixture Screw 2.5 turns out

I also drilled an extra hole out on the slides as per the Dynojet Instructions at http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/2185.pdf Though some say that this should only be done for bikes, due to the increased mass of the car, the acceleration is still slower and so the main needle does not need to lift as facst in a car compaired to a bike.

However rolling road is still the best way forwards, but this may be a good start.

I need to get mine to a rolling road, but it drives well at present with this set up.

Cheers

Ian

mistergrumpy

posted on 9/4/09 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have the exact same set up as Mackei and mine failed the noise by 1 dB as there was a slight misfire going on. I'm at 3 turns now and I think I'm just about thereish with the gastester I borrowed.

phil m

posted on 9/4/09 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
With regard to noise - passed mne on third attempt (Blade) and what seemed to make the most difference was lining the bonnet, nose and internal sides with carpet offcuts -

Also made a baffle out of flexible copper pipe wrapped in wirewool and held in place by a bolt at the bottom of he outlet

Hope this helps , Phil

johncarman

posted on 9/4/09 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you all for your input.

It looks clear that I will need a cat, I will also look at getting a TTS filter (where are people getting these from), are TTS the best, how about a pipercross ?? What I am not sure about is a dynajet kit, it this neccessary to get through SVA do you think ?? does anybody know any tricks to get through without ??

Thanks,

John

mistergrumpy

posted on 9/4/09 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
The airfilters you can find on Ebay, it's justa sausage type. The dynojet kit is to alter the fuelling. What you will probably find is that without the bikes standard airbox you will have a more turbulent air feed and bikes like still air plus with the non bike standard exhaust things are compounded and so the mixture needs altering. The dynojet kit consists of an small assortment of fuel jets which are just little brass nipples with a small hole in. I believe that these can be picked up at some car shops, garages or engine management places. The other thing you get is a set of adjustable needles. They're just long thin needles that you place a clip on the end at either position 1-4. This restricts it's protrusion into the carb. The two of these things will affect your mid to high end fuelling so at the moment you may be running too rich or lean and have a flat spot.
Fitting the things are not hard at all. It's all the fiddling trial and error that takes time.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.