Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hairdresser Cars
orbital

posted on 14/4/09 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hairdresser Cars

Hi guy's,

As my wife is a hairdresser by trade, I feel I can almost legitimately drive one of the many hairdresser cars out there without feeling too embarrassed Now I’ve always fancied an MX-5, but if I’m honest I prefer the look of the MGF. My brain says MX-5 but my heart says MGF. I don’t have a fortune to spend, say about £2.5K.

So what do you think? MX-5 or MGF? I’ve heard a lot of stories about head gasket problems on the MGF, but I’d love to hear from anyone who owns/owned one of these cars to see what they think.

Cheers

Dave

ashg

posted on 14/4/09 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
save more money and get an s2000 you will never lookback.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

panichat

posted on 15/4/09 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
or...

spend less money and get an x1/9 - the only sensible choice (it's a mid engined italian classic you know!)
speedyxjs

posted on 15/4/09 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
If you can cope with having a fiat badge on the bonnet, i would also suggest an x1/9

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

StevieB

posted on 15/4/09 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
MX5 - brilliant handling and beter built than the MGF (and the engine is less likely to melt like cheese). For extra pep, find a BBR turbo or alternatively fit a Jackson Racing supercharger.
mad_dogpompey

posted on 15/4/09 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
head gasket has those stupid plastic bits on them that melt and go. and the cam belt tensioners are a bit dodgy. i d steer well clear. take into account the last person i said that to about an mgf got one anyway lasted a week before the head gasket went ! lol if you do get one give it a serious look over. thing is since rover went under they re worth alot less so might be a bargain to have. the engine block itself can t be that bad as it was used in the lotus elise!
dogwood

posted on 15/4/09 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
My wife has a Jap import MX5 1800.
I think it's brilliant
Good speed great handling.
I use it as my usual drive when I'm in the UK..
At the end of the day it'll make a great donor car as well..

David

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

zilspeed

posted on 15/4/09 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
My GTM was mechanically identical to an MGF.

And the headgasket went on it.....

That's because of how the thermostat is installed coupled with the car being mid engined.
Later cars are modified to remedy this, but Britishtrident is you man for this.

MX5 is mechanically stronger, but the older ones can rust just as well as an old MG can. Quite genuine then.

X1/9 ?

I'm a fan, but I wouldn't.
An MR2 makes a million times more sense.

designer

posted on 15/4/09 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
X1/9 is a brilliant car, if you can find a decent one. If you are tall they can be a struggle to enter/exit, but well worth the effort.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 15/4/09 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
An X1/9 will certainly brush up your welding and auto electrics skills.

S2000 for £2.5k ???

[Edited on 15/4/09 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

cd.thomson

posted on 15/4/09 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
am I the only person who detests the X1/9?

Craig

speedyxjs

posted on 15/4/09 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
X1/9, lovely little car

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Steve Hignett

posted on 15/4/09 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
NO!

quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
am I the only person who detests the X1/9?

Davey D

posted on 15/4/09 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
how about a MR2 mk2. i really love those

nick205

posted on 15/4/09 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Toyota Celica....?

Has to be a contender over the MGF which IMHO (never driven one) looks bloody awful, all pear shaped and out of proportion.

Failing the Toyota then the MX-5 has to be the one to go for.

iank

posted on 15/4/09 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D

Interesting, I much prefer the Mk3 followed by the Mk1.
Mk1 would be a good choice if you could find a good one for that price.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

grazzledazzle

posted on 15/4/09 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Porsche 914 is what you want.
MikeRJ

posted on 15/4/09 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D

Have you ever driven one though? I loved my MR2 Turbo, but I would have to say it's an overweight barge as far as mid-engined performance cars go. The Mk1 MR2 handling is sublime, and in a different league to the ponderous Mk2.

MX5 - the Mk1's can rust quite badly, especially the imports which must be an ever increasing donor source for Locosts. The looks are also pretty marmite, personally in standard form I think they are quite nasty, definitely on the fluffy pink, girly side of hairdresser. On the up side they do drive brilliantly if the suspension is in good condition, and even the 1.6 is more fun than the puny power output would suggest.

The MGF kicks the MR2 rear end in terms of looks, the TF even more so. The interior is better, the VVC engined car is usefully quicker than the 1.8 MX5. Handling wise the hydrolastic F is good but IMO doesn't offer the feel and controllability of the MR2. The conventionally sprung TF is supposed to be a significant improvement.

Head gaskets can be a problem, but I'm not sure why it's been suggested that there are plastic bits that melt. The plastic locating dowels used on earlier cars (which don't melt, but rather don't locate the head very well) should now be pretty much extinct, they are replaced by steel ones when the head gasket is changed. The main problem with the MGF is the long coolant circuit coupled with the unusual thermostat location which can cause temperature cycling. Rover developed a pressure relief remote thermostat to fix this problem, so ideally find a car with this fitted, or fit one yourself. Inlet manifold gaskets can leak coolant into the cylinders, this is a very common cause of HGF (probably more common than any other cause IMO), so the moral of the story is check the coolant level regularly.

[Edited on 15/4/09 by MikeRJ]

tomprescott

posted on 15/4/09 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't get the MGF - scrap that idea straight away, it will save you having to scrap a car in a year or two.

MR2 and Celica's are nice but for 2.5k you could probably pick up a reasonable Supra, love those cars, plus jap reliability!

orbital

posted on 15/4/09 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Cheer guy's for the replies. I should have said in my opening post that I want a soft top. So Supra's etc don't really meet the bill.

I'd love a an S2000, but you need to spend considerably more than £2.5K that I’ve got. I was looking at the Jago jeep that’s for sale on here, but I’m not too sure about that. I was also looking on Pistonheads at the 7 seater Mitsubishi Pajero’s (mid to late 1990’s avoiding the mad Tax charges of later cars). I know that’s completely different to wanting a soft top, but the amount of car you get for money makes me smile plus it would be excellent for the weekend camping trips we take as a family. Anyway keep the ideas coming, it’s all good!

Cheers

Dave

MikeRJ

posted on 15/4/09 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomprescott
I wouldn't get the MGF - scrap that idea straight away, it will save you having to scrap a car in a year or two.

Could you explain this further?

Marcus

posted on 15/4/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
What's with the MGF / TF knocking today. Ive had a TF, and am still a member of the MG car club. I love 'em. 3 TFs did a south of France run 18 months ago and we had an awesome time. Our friends still have theirs, one now has a new LE500, but that's no better than a 2003 model!!
The only issue with ours was the clutch actuating arm which siezed in the bellhousing, this was replaced with a modified one with a grease port on it (on my drive 2 days before France..).
I personally don't mind the slightly high driving position of the F / TF and if it wasn't for sprog, we'd still have it.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Moorron

posted on 15/4/09 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
My missus is a mobile hair stylist and owns a ford Puma. Fits the bill just right and has a good boot to carry all her stock about.

Worth a look.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

irvined

posted on 15/4/09 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
You know the MX5 makes sense, your misses is a hairdresser so you wont have to take the dodgy hairdresser jokes, and you can have a lot of fun in the mx5, its predominantly bullet proof, and i've done quite a few laps around various tracks in mine without anything falling off, or worse anything going bang.

They handle well fairly neutral oversteer/understeer, very forgiving.

They are also practical, you can fit an R1 in the passenger seat, and 2 crossflow blocks in the boot.

With the roof down you can still carry 2.5M long bits of steel to the garage, and not being italian or british the electrics work.

The older ones are starting to rust a little now so have a good look over them before parting with your cash.

Description
Description

http://irvined.blogspot.com

flak monkey

posted on 15/4/09 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the Mk1 MR2. Had one for a while, you can get a really nice one for £2500 (ie one thats been virtually rebuilt). Excellent handling and fabulous engine which is cheaply tuned if you want to.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.