Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Gas welding
davy

posted on 15/4/09 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Gas welding

About ten years ago I purchased a unit that when you put a liquid inside (cant remember what it was ) the elements inside generated oxygen. I worked quite well in fact I brazed a whole floor panel into my sons 2cv. You strapped the propane onto the rear of the unit. The unit was about the size of a very small electric welder. I lent it to someone and never saw it again. Anyone out there every seen one of these animals and wonder can the still be bought. I remember that it was not very expensive. I got a bug infection in my heart and had to get a pacemaker fitted and was told to do anything that I liked but no arc or mig welding.Over here BOc has it all to them selves
James

posted on 16/4/09 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
Would a small oxy-acetaline be no use to you?

I got some really good results with that on my welding course. Did my sump with it for example which still isn't leaking after nearly 3 years.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

r1_pete

posted on 16/4/09 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
BOC will rent you small oxy and acetylene bottles, I have mid sized ones which cost me about £150 pa, the rest of the kit is readily available.

I do remember what you refer to, was it the berzomatic solidox ??

[Edited on 16/4/09 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 16/4/09 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Never come across anything like that.

Acetylene is a hotter gas than propane which you'll need for welding/cutting.

A kit something like this one http://www.welduk.com/Details.asp?ProductID=369 would be a good starter (BOC do a similar kit called the Portapak). You'll need to rent the gas cylinders from one of the big suppliers.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

BenB

posted on 16/4/09 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
What like this one?

http://wellyweld.com/products/Masterpak_Oxy-Propane_Cutting_Kit_7906.aspx

paulf

posted on 16/4/09 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
I remember the units your reffering to.They used Hydrogen peroxide and there was a catalyst that the peroxide was dripped onto to generate oxygen.I built an oxygen generator using the same principle and used it to braze with but was no good for proper welding without using acetylene.
Paul

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.