Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Just venting
flak monkey

posted on 24/2/04 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Just venting

[Rant mode] Well I am at uni as you may know...or not. i dont understand half of the course even with extra work . Now its getting me down, the course isnt as interesting as i thought, but i dont want to drop out. Argh.. Cos people tell me i should be able to do things just annoys me more... 4 A-levels at A grade - 'ooh you can do anything you are clever'.

Gonna stick till end of year and see how i feel i think. Fricking work.

And i dont think i can get anymore practical work than is scheduled for 'health and safety reasons'. Bollox

[rant mode off]

Still dont feel any better! Grr

Any suggestions....or tell me to pi55 off

Cheers

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

ijohnston99

posted on 24/2/04 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Uni.....is that not all just drinking and sleeping around??

Are you finding the hangovers and STD's an issue?? Is this what you mean by practical work being an H&S issue??

flak monkey

posted on 24/2/04 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote

With 15- 20 hours lectures a week, plus projects and assignments, dont have much time to do anything by the time i get my work done.

And no...the practical work was welding practice

Cheers

David

Sera

locoboy

posted on 24/2/04 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
pi55 off.........well you said i could say it

ATB
Locoboy

flak monkey

posted on 24/2/04 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Am used to hearing people say that...so feel free

David

Sera

JoelP

posted on 24/2/04 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
could be a poor choice of course? i had a similar problem, did well in all previous qualifications and went to uni early at 17, then realised the course was not what i expected. smoked too much pot and only got a 3rd in the end! and then quit i might add...

what is important is how well you learn, not what you learn. Being good at picking stuff up will get you a lot further than actual knowledge will! thats what i keep telling myself anyway!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

greggors84

posted on 24/2/04 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hang in there, a few of my mates were thinking the same as you in the first term. Im too laid back to worry about anything though (not always a good thing!) once you get the first year out the way it becomes more interesting. In my second year on auto everything is more related to the subject, rather than just pointless maths and physics that doesnt relate to anything.
Saying that the second year is harder due to work load, i had about 30 hours of lectures in my first term, but u dont mind so much as it is more interesting. Had a few F1 guest lectures which have been brilliant, especially the one from Geoff Goddard formally at Cosworth with over 150 gp wins under his belt, now teaching at brookes.
As the courses are so similar in the first year (guessing they follow same sort of course as brookes) you might be able to change to automotive engineering for your second year if that interests you more. Alot of people might say its a mistake if you dont speak german etc..... but its an interesting course and you can always go for the motorsport side, which this country is probably the best at (im lucky as the brookes course is motorsport orientated).

Saying all this you might be more interested in mechanical things so ignore everything i have said. They are both interesting courses and both very hard too, especially when you live with people who go in for 6 hours a week!

Stick at it, and you will eventually reap the rewards.

Also dont forget the sleeping around and waking up in parks forgetting what youve done and where youve been. Helps ease the pain of all the work.

And remember alchohol doesnt do any harm, just kills the slower brain cells so that they can be replaced with better ones, process of natural selection....

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Jon Ison

posted on 24/2/04 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
just p155 orf, well u asked.......

stick with it, you may regret it later if u dont, i went back in my mid 20's if only ide stuck at it 1st time round.

200mph

posted on 24/2/04 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
was in a very similar position. am in 4th year now, and had the same thoughts that you in in 2nd year and again last year. My advice?? well, I offer this only if I understand you correctly.

leave

do something you want to, be it study, work, etc etc.

I now have a degree, and by the end of the year will have honours, but it wasnt worth it.

Am not even going to work in the same field, so my degree is almost worthless, other than to show people i have the ability to do some work.

I didnt leave because before we started one of my mates (well, aquaintecnes) said i would drop out, and that stayed with me, so i was determined to prove him wrong, rather than do what I should have done and followed tha path that interested me most.

my 2ps worth (although probably only worth about 1.23p)

mark

greggors84

posted on 24/2/04 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
On the note of what joel said, get as much work experience as possible, engineering companies look on it as a very good asset. I know u said you had some set up for summer which is a good start.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Alan B

posted on 24/2/04 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Stick with it......I friigging well had to...

Sure it's 75% irrelevant nonsense.......but the good stuff IS important....

You WILL look back and be glad you stuck it out.......make sure you keep up the practical real experience....like locosting....it will keep you sane..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 24/2/04 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the encouragement guys . Yes this year is a lot of maths and physics that is not interesting at all.

I am on mech course at the mo, but may change. The only thing that stopped me doing automotive was that it narrows my possiblilities. Though i may find it more interesting....choices choices.

Thanks

David

Sera

Cussed

posted on 24/2/04 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
stick at it

It always seems a shame that on any degree course you have to study something which dull/irrelevant. I don't think that there is any way around it though. It's just a fact that some subjects aren't very exciting but you still need to know them to understand the interesting parts.

Stick at it and remember that what interests you now and seems like the most relevant part of your course won't necessarily be so during the course of your career. I don't know your course or what you want to do afterwards, but it's a fair guess that sometime over the next 30-40 years you'll find yourself employed doing a job you never imagined/planned. When it gets to that stage it's a big help to have a degree certificate saying that you've been educated in all aspects of (say) mech engineering.

Good luck with it.

Eddie

stephen_gusterson

posted on 24/2/04 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
just make sure you use your talents to do the RIGHT course.

I did a degree in computing. friggin useless. I work in industrial control and automation, and that kinda course is all admin and financial computing.

waste of time apart from the bit of paper.

atb

steve

chrisg

posted on 24/2/04 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
I was a student - I got alcohol posioning.

Cause and effect.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

David Jenkins

posted on 24/2/04 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
just p155 orf, well u asked.......

stick with it, you may regret it later if u dont, i went back in my mid 20's if only ide stuck at it 1st time round.

Er - I was 40-something before I did my uni stuff... mind you, it was a MSc! (Never did a BSc - University of Life, me...)

David

Dave Ashurst

posted on 24/2/04 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
David

You have U2U - a rude one!

kind regards
Dave

ceebmoj

posted on 24/2/04 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
There are a lot more students on hear than I realised.

I graduated about a year and a half ago got a good degree (lost of letters to go after your name in snooty letters) and I am prowed of it. All thought towards the end I hated sertan aspects of the course (radar).

I this is only a question you can answer yourself but are you fed up with it or is it not the right subject for you. I ask this because it is only natural to get pissed off from time to time. But if it is not the right course for you then you should change. As it will keep getting you down I have a friend who started uni the same year as me and who has just stared another course from year one 5 yeas later because he keep going at a course that he did not really enjoy however he now seams to be getting on much beter because he enjoys what he is doing.

It is also worth remembering that the so called real world is not all that different. Just going for a big mid weak session is not as easy as it used to be.

If you are not coming up to an exam or dead line take a bit of time to your self this weekend and come back at it fresh and see how it goes.

Blake
Ps sorry about the spelling and grammar.

flak monkey

posted on 24/2/04 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ceebmoj i have 2 projects due in next week, that might be something to do with why i am so stressed. But never mind.

I will do this course, i wanted to do it for ages, and now I'm here i had better get on with it!

Have cheered up no end now, all the encouragement has given me a boost. Thanks

David

Sera

stephen_gusterson

posted on 24/2/04 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
hi ceebmoj

why do you apologise for your bad grammar? Im wondering if you have dyslexia, or just a crap typist / slightly dodgy speller like me?

atb

steve

[Edited on 24/2/04 by stephen_gusterson]

Carl.H

posted on 24/2/04 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah you'r right Steve, stuff the spelling gives are brains more time to work out the important things, like the mechanics of a car

I’m dyslexic but got help while I was in junior school so I don’t do to badly

[Edited on 25/2/04 by Carl.H]

I drink to make other people interesting.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.