Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Netbook advice wanted
MK9R

posted on 23/4/09 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Netbook advice wanted

I want a netbook to take with me to the track to download all my data logging. It must run XP (digidash software nly runs on XP), it must have good battery life, it must be cheap and i'd also like it for surfing the web at home so wifi is a must.

I have found an ee PC 904 for £160 (grade a2 cosmetic scratches)
and there is a company selling 14 day returned 900 for £149 and 901 for £198 on ebay

I like the idea of the solid state memory on the 900 and 901, but not sure if the 16GB limit will annoy me?????

Help!!

Oh and i also want it delivered tomorrow

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vinny1275

posted on 23/4/09 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
we use EeeeeeeeeeePCs as our training machines at work (tho we do plug big screens in them), and they're great! You can expand the memory with an SDHC card which are pretty cheap now (16GB for about 25 quid, 32 GB for about 70 - 80)...

You might get through the batteries reasonably quickly tho - outside you'll need the brightness turned up on the screen...

HTH

Vince

BenB

posted on 23/4/09 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Only problem I find with Eeeepcs (in common with most Netbooks) is they're not the fastest lappies in the world (so you have to be prepared to be a bit patient starting up new apps etc) and the keys are tiny so if you've got bit fat fingers you'll struggle to do anything serious with them (too much hassle). But for tuning I would have thought they'd be great (as long as they're fast enough for the software).... imagine so though...
mad4x4

posted on 23/4/09 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Look for an ACER Aspire One

Better Screen runs Xp or Linux and Comes with in Built 120GB or 160GB Hard Disk

Well cool

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

davidcarr

posted on 23/4/09 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
I just recently bought a netbook and looked into it quite heavily.

I bought a Samsung NC10. Read some reviews and you'll see why: large screen (for a netbook), useable keyboard with all the keys in the right place,Atom Processor 160GB hd, 1 GB Ram and comes with a 6 cell battery as standard which lasts around 5-6 hours unplugged. Lots good too! Very happy with mine. Cost around £300. Not the cheapest but worth it.

I was considering the Aspire One along with another similar ones but I didn't like the look of it when I went into the shop, and the Samsung was rated as the best by almost all the reviews I saw. You can get it on Dabs.com and I think pc world sell it for the same price.

Staple balls

posted on 23/4/09 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've used a Samsung NC10 a fair bit, I'm personally not a fan of netbooks, but that was the closest I've seen to a usable machine.

Also matched my asus laptop really well

MK9R

posted on 23/4/09 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
well i've actually ordered a 904, for 200 quid delivered with XP and the fact it really is just for downloading logger data and a bit of surfing at home and while away racing/business/loafing, i couldn't justify spending anymore. fingers crossed it does the job!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.