Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What radiator is best, IndyBlade
vinders

posted on 30/4/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
What radiator is best, IndyBlade

Hello All
I have just finished a rebuild/conversion to Fireblade power, i have a modified Micra radiator which initially seemed fine but on it's first proper run the car is getting a bit warm even with the fan kicking in.....

Before i go and spend £200 plus on a full alloy radiator can anyone recommend a decent donor rad?

Thanks
Andy

Davey D

posted on 30/4/09 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
The most common radiator seems to be the Vw polo radiator. i cant see why your micra one wouldnt be upto the job though, unless youve plumbed something in wrong, or the radiator is blocked

PAUL FISHER

posted on 30/4/09 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Mk sell a bike engined radiator for the Indy,for around £100
alister667

posted on 30/4/09 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
The top of the micra rad is not the highest point in your cooling system. You likely have an airlock. There should be a pipe coming out the top of your engine/water pump, open it and either fill it, or open it and then block it off when it is chucking out coolant (after engine heats up).

Unless your rad is defective, engine temps should top out about 100C-ish. Also use 50% water 50% Glycerol based antifreeze.

I'm in Hungary at the mo, so I have no pics to point out the pipe I'm referring to. Soz.

Good luck

Ali

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vinders

posted on 1/5/09 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Radiator problem

I have the thermostat output to the top port of the radiator, water pump to the bottom, expansion tank into the top hose with the tank being higher than the top of the radiator, the auto air bleed pipe is fed to the expansion tank and the radiator overflow to the floor....i changed the fan switch for a Nissan Pulsar one as this is on @89C off at 83C.

When the car is driven sedately it is fine and i know the fan is kicking in when required but when driven as it should be the temperature is going up to 95C

vinders

posted on 2/5/09 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Problem sorted

Thanks for the help and advice, fixed the problem after a bit of investigation.

Mixture of three things, the original Micra radiator cap lets by at 13psi, but the expansion tank cap at 16psi, explains why the radiator was leaking, add that to the schoolboy error of wiring the fan the wrong way round and there's the heat problem.

Changed the rad cap for a 20psi one, new expansion tank cap and rewired the fan, now sits at a comfortable 84C.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.