Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover T16 suddenly not running
piran

posted on 2/5/09 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Rover T16 suddenly not running

Got the SVA retest booked for Weds and just had a call from the people who are taking it in - they've changed over the plug leads to ones with a manufacturers name on and now they're not getting any spark .... they're expert on rover engines is saying that the immobiliser in the black MFU (set of relays) that piggy backs off the ECU has kicked in but this would be the first time since the engine came out of the Rover 2 years ago.....
anybody got any ideas ?

iank

posted on 2/5/09 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'd ask them to put the old leads back on to prove it's not duff ones they've fitted.

Maybe I'm being a touch harsh, but if it was running when they took it in then if the immboiliser has kicked in surely it's their problem to kick it back out again.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

piran

posted on 2/5/09 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'm inclined to agree and since I don't believe it actually has an immobiliser I think there are other more obvious potential problems - perhaps they knocked/disconnected one of the other wires...
Hammerhead

posted on 2/5/09 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
has it got a fuel pump inertia switch? that may need resetting. Also if it has the 5as module it may be immobilised. British trident, stevec and I think there is another guy who knows about these engines.
britishtrident

posted on 2/5/09 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
If its the Rover security system the engine would normally expect it to spark and fire when the starter motor is running but die as soon as the starter is released. -- however a faulty or disconnected oil pressure switch will give the same symptoms --- if checking the oil pressure switch with a DMM note some Rover oil pressure switches work the reverse from normal --- they are nc and switch off when the oil pressure comes up.

I it is the security system if the battery is disconnected and reconnected it should allow the engine to start and run once --- but only once.

However my betting would be
(1) Fuse
(2) Relay
(3) Crankshaft sensor.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

piran

posted on 2/5/09 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
the thing that puzzles me is that it sat in a box unconnected for a year and has been fine all the way through the build and now as soon as they change the HT leads it stops working !
Isn't the 5AS a separate unit without which the engine wouldn't have ever worked ?

They say they've checked the inertia switch

[Edited on 2/5/09 by piran]

hillbillyracer

posted on 2/5/09 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I used to have a 2.0l 16v Rover in my grasser, no turbo but the management would be similar. On entering the first bend at one meeting it just died, I spun the car & found the 3 guys I'd left on the start line all approaching fairly quickly! They all managed to miss me & I got a tow back & we found the coil lead had come off at the dizzy cap. No matter what we did it would'nt spark & I had to load up & go home. I went into the workshop the next morning & tried it, fired up instantly & ran sweet as a nut! It never gave any more ignition trouble as long as I ran it.
I have no explanation other than it must have upset the ECU in some way & it just needed time to reset?

Gary 7

posted on 3/5/09 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
The mfu relay box houses 4 relays,nothing to do with the immobiliser. thats built into the ecu,that needs the signal fom the 5as and plip remote to disarm.if it has run before without the 5as then its not immobilised.
Put the original leads back on check all engine sensors are connected.

britishtrident

posted on 3/5/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
I am pretty sure it won't be a 5AS or any of the other similar Lucas/Motorola immobilizer systems I am pretty sure it will be Honda 27VT style system -- this can loose synch with the rolling code on the the security 27VT ecu .

However it doesn't sound lke an immobilizer issue.

piran

posted on 5/5/09 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
well it's running now - they put the old leads on and it worked so they tried with the new leads (tightening one that was loose! ) and it works ... funnily it wasn't anything to do with an immobiliser that isn't there....
iank

posted on 5/5/09 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by piran
well it's running now - they put the old leads on and it worked so they tried with the new leads (tightening one that was loose! ) and it works ... funnily it wasn't anything to do with an immobiliser that isn't there....

Make sure they don't try to charge for the hours they spent wasting their own time.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.