Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec engine breather
albertz

posted on 3/5/09 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec engine breather

Can someone tell me where the Zetec engine breather connection is? I cannot see the breather on mine and i am finding a high pressure after i pull the dipstick, therefore i am thinking maybe the breather is blocked somehow, but i cant find it!

Incidentally, is there possible way that a high pressure in the sump (i.e. blocked engine breather) can lead to a rich running engine? Are there any sensors that might be reading a duff signal as a result of this?

big_wasa

posted on 3/5/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
There are two breathers. One on the rocker cover and one on the block under the exhaust.

Ive blocked the one in the block of. The one on the rocker should be fine on its own.

ss1turbo

posted on 3/5/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
It should be under the exhaust manifold - unless its been blocked with a core plug...

Long live RWD...

big_wasa

posted on 3/5/09 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
pic of one below exhaust

albertz

posted on 3/5/09 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
The rocker cover one is piped around and into a large pressed steel container under the exhaust mainfold, i assume that it connects to the block there as well then?

Apparently i am supposed to connect the engine breather back into the inlet manifold, but not the rocker cover breather. Martin from Griffin Power Systems thinks that might be why my car is running so rich and misfiring slightly. I suppose all i can do is try but i am not too sure that is the cause of the poor running, hence my question about the engine breather being in any way connected to the rich running of the engine.

It is a brand new engine, would you expect it to be blocked off somehow on a new engine?

big_wasa

posted on 3/5/09 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds like your problem.

You have the breathers connected together.

For the top one, put a cheap filter on to it or get a catch tank.

The bottom one wont work with out the EGR gear to work it. Yoa may aswell block it of.

albertz

posted on 3/5/09 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
When you say that may be your problem, do you mean the pressurisation of the engine or the rich running? or both?

Also, excuse my ignorance, but can you tell me what the EGR gear is and what it does?

ss1turbo

posted on 3/5/09 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
The block one is normally connected to a stub on the inlet manifold (there's a bit of a maze of passages to spread it around the 4 ports) via a pipe which goes under the coil pack - well it does on a silvertop zetec! Not sure about the later ones, but guess it'll be similar.

Rocker cover one will go to the induction pipework prior to the throttle body - i.e. a catch tank/filter then!

Long live RWD...

big_wasa

posted on 3/5/09 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
If you have the top one conneted to the bottom one then you have know way of letting the presure out and you are going to blow an oil seal or somthing.
big_wasa

posted on 3/5/09 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Egr, have a read Link
big_wasa

posted on 3/5/09 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Another good read Link

When fitted in the mondeo ect, the pipe from the PPV (crank braether valve in pressed steel conatainer) goes to the EGR valve. This is operated by the solenoide)

In short it wont work with out all of the gear to work it.

albertz

posted on 3/5/09 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you both for your advice. I will do as you say and connect the engine breather to the inlet manifold and the rocker cover to a catch bottle or filter. I honestly did not realise these things had such an effect on the fueling, but there you go!

Just to confirm, do i leave the big pressed steel container thing as it is, or remove it completely?

big_wasa

posted on 3/5/09 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Your call mate.

For me I would dump it. I cant see how dumping hydro carbons into the inlet is going to make it leaner.

Your running the omex ecu yes ?

Aslong as there are no air leaks on the manifold and the mapping is correct I would look at injectors and fuel presure as the reason to running rich.

austin man

posted on 4/5/09 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
my breather pipe on the 1.8 silvertop comes from the manifold side and exits under the coil pack. I wouldnt recomment blocking a breather off as this will increase the pressure in the engine. Both my breathers go into a home made catch tank.

My brother in laws initiall had the crank breather attachet to the griffin inlet plenum, we found that the engine was drawing so much air it actually started to suck oil from the block so we had to dissconnect it form the plenum. It appears that the inlet may be a litte restrictive. He now runns throttle bodies and has the pipe connected to the inlet and has no problems.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.