Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice Needed - What throttle body / Carb setup AND Megajolt / Squirt for a 2.0 Zetec
Steve Hignett

posted on 7/5/09 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Advice Needed - What throttle body / Carb setup AND Megajolt / Squirt for a 2.0 Zetec

Hi All,

I've been asked for some advice and to be honest I haven't had much to do with the fuelling of car engines, so thought it best just to say "I don't know!" than to say the wrong thing!

But, I would still like to help, so thought I would ask here so that I can direct them here to see the advice or forward it on to them..

The question:

What is the best setup for a 2.0 Zetec engine with specific regard to:
1. Which Carbs/T Bodies
2. Manifold
3. ECU controlling

I know there's a couple people on here that have had some head scratchers with their megasquirts, but that there are also more than a few that have used them very successfully, so please feel free to throw any advice at me!

The car is not yet I.V.A.'d so it will need to pass that, but also want the best out of it afterwards!

Is there a simple way forward (depending on cost obv.), ie can you just give someone a small brown package (no not heroine ) and get a full system already programmed with a running base map etc?

Thanks in advance for help and advice, and please feel free to also correct whatever I've said that isn't applicable above!

ATB
Steve

big_wasa

posted on 7/5/09 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yep Webcon do a full kit at around £1800 maped and ready to go and there is one with Jenveys for same sort of money.
Nash

posted on 7/5/09 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
There is a whole article on this in the new Kit Car Mag this month (just out). It's well worth a read and the company mentioned do kits for little money.

HTH............... Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

omega0684

posted on 7/5/09 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
whats your budget?

manifold from say bogg bro's = £200
throttle bodies = £100 roughly
MS and sensors, edis , coilpack, trigger wheel etc = £500

i would say do it yourself kit for £700-£800,

as already mentioned if you want a boly on kit and rolling road then you are looking at more like £1500.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 7/5/09 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
My ST170 has ZX9 carbs with Megajolt.

£35 for the carbs
£95 for Mj
Homemade inlet.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

whitestu

posted on 8/5/09 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
On my 2.0 Zetec I have:

Respaced ZX6R carbs [£30]
Homemade manifold [£10]
Megajolt [£90]
Pipercross filter [£60]

Works great.

tendoshingan

posted on 8/5/09 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
On my 1.8 Zetec I have:
ZX6R carbs [£30 off ebay]
Homemade manifold [£20]
Megajolt [£55 (homemade)]
Pipercross filter [£15]

prackers

posted on 9/5/09 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Cost is going to depend on your start point. I have just installed bike tb's on a ST170 engine:

Hayabusa tb's from ebay: £150.00

Megasquirt: £360.00

ST170 inlet manifold: came with engine but usually £30 - £60 on ebay

Fuel system (2 pumps, swirl pot and pipework/plumbing/filters) £300.00, if it's a new build you can probably half this if your fuel tank has a built in swirl pot

But plug and play it isn't, it took me roughly two full weeks to get it all installed and running then another two weeks to learn megasquirt to the point where I had it running well. Having done it once I could probably do the same in three or four days but it was a fairly steep learning curve for me!

As far as engine maps go, using someone elses, even if identical spec, is near useless, other than to get the engine initally running, you are far better off building your own ...eventually.

On the plus side, once learnt you have complete control over all the engine variables so are in a position to tune the engine for any mods you make in the future.

I started with a standard st motor, then later added cheap(ish) second hand cnc head and cams.

Out of curiosity, I took it for a rolling road session and they managed to find an extra 3bhp and 2ft/lbs of torque. However the car didn't feel as good so I reverted back to my settings!

Andybarbet

posted on 14/5/09 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Where can you get the megasquirt electronics as a kit build and how much am i looking at cost wise ???

Im in electronics at work so can build the unit, just needing a supplier or some details of what parts are needed ?

I already have the GSXR 600 throttle bodies & inlet manifold to fit my Zetec.

Sorry to hi-jack thread a little but its sort of relevant

westy7

posted on 19/5/09 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
These might help

link

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.