Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: paypal's cut
omega0684

posted on 13/5/09 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
paypal's cut

what is paypal's percentage cut per transaction?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 13/5/09 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
mucho dinero amigo

Can't remember exactly, but IIRC I was charged something like 40p on a £7.50 transaction which equates to about 5%.

viatron

posted on 13/5/09 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Charges Linky
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
viatron

posted on 13/5/09 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote

tegwin

posted on 13/5/09 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Its a lot!

But if you are running an online shop, their checkout system is the only one available unless you want to buy an SSL certificate for £300+/year

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

britishtrident

posted on 13/5/09 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
I find it very difficult to predict what paypal will charge for any given transaction . It is usually either ridiculously high or very low even free to me it appears to have no real logic to it.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

UncleFista

posted on 13/5/09 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
I know that when I sell something on ebay, ebay and paypal take approx 10% of the final price.....

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

tendoshingan

posted on 13/5/09 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
When e-bay first started, never used to be like this.
Greed wins out in the end.
Ebays fees definitely used to be a set price, not a percentage of what the item sells for (if over a big value).
I also think that paypal is some kind of sister company to e-bay, so they get even more money.

Not even worth trying to get your money back into your own account as they charge you a transaction fee for that.

Foreign payments are even worse, with exchange rate on your credit card etc

tegwin

posted on 13/5/09 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Ebay and Paypal ARE the same company!

And yes... they used to be a lot fairer... but they are just interested in the money now!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

flak monkey

posted on 13/5/09 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Its a lot!

But if you are running an online shop, their checkout system is the only one available unless you want to buy an SSL certificate for £300+/year

What about google check out?

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

tegwin

posted on 13/5/09 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Google checkout requires that you have your own SSL certificate.... I did look at it...

It is a bit cheaper than paypal on transaction per transaction cost... but when you add in the SSL cost... unless you have a large turnover, it makes no sence sadly

One of the banks also offered a card transaction service... but that was even more inolved and deffinately needed SSL

russbost

posted on 13/5/09 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Paypal take approx 4%, Ebay take approx 10%, so basically you sell for £100 & you'll actually see about £86
That's why I'm always prepared to do a deal for stuff I sell direct rather than thro' Ebay, the Paypal amount may still be applicable, but it's a lot less painful than ebays share
Robbing gits! & yes the fees were lower up until earlier this year.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Project7

posted on 13/5/09 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
If you read Paypals marketing propaganda they are clearly very cheap

Those competitor prices are clearly (or is that symbolically) much higher!!

cd.thomson

posted on 13/5/09 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
[geek]
on a sidenote, not connected to you project7, how can such a large company get away with "graphs" like that. Units and values on only side of chart, no scale on the y-axis bar AND engineered with gaps between the segments so it appears they are twice as expensive without reading what it actually means.

outrageous

[/geek]

Craig

Project7

posted on 13/5/09 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
[geek]
on a sidenote, not connected to you project7, how can such a large company get away with "graphs" like that. Units and values on only side of chart, no scale on the y-axis bar AND engineered with gaps between the segments so it appears they are twice as expensive without reading what it actually means.

outrageous

[/geek]

Yeah that was exactly the point i was trying to make! I think its because it was made by the marketing department.

Edit: I also like the subliminal use of the word 'only' on the paypal side!

[Edited on 13/5/09 by Project7]

[Edited on 13/5/09 by Project7]

tegwin

posted on 13/5/09 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
It depends what you want to do.. if your online turnover is only around £200 a month paypal WILL work out cheaper... but if you have a £2000 turnover a week... getting your own gateway, certificate etc makes a lot more financial sense...

JoelP

posted on 13/5/09 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
i heard an advert the other day that was so outrageous (in a similar vein to the deceptive graph above) that i was determined to complain about it to ASA. Sadly in my apathy i cant even remember what it was about now, but ive never been moved to complain before!
locoboy

posted on 13/5/09 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
I run our ebay stuff at work and we pay ebay over a grand a month in fees let alone what we loose to paypal.

We always encourage customers to do a deal outside ebay / paypal by offering a fincancial incentive, however i often find that our customers have a paypal account with a bit in that their misses knows nowt about and thats their play / project money and its easier and more discrete for them to pay by paypal, unfortunately the customer is always right and we have to suck it up with the rest of the traders on ebay.

For us ebay is such a huge audence and for us to generate the volume of sales that we are currently experiencing through ebay , outside of ebay we would have to spend a huge sum of money on advertising, web design and marketing and its just not viable to do that.

Rock and a hard place comes to mind.

ATB
Locoboy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.