Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternator too close to exhaust manifold?
Mave

posted on 13/5/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Alternator too close to exhaust manifold?

I'm currently rebuilding my Indy and in the process I'm putting a supercharger on my Zetec blacktop. Now I'm trying to find a new location for my alternator.

I have two possible locations; just above the waterpump, or just below. Just below could be nice, however, since I have a LHD car I need to reroute the steering shaft (put an extra coupling and support in). And I need to change the exhaust manifold to make this possible. All in all pretty involved and possible expensive.
The other position, slightly above the water pump would be ideal, if it weren't for the fact that the rear of the (already small) alternator would be 15 mm away from the hot exhaust manifold. 15 mm is pretty close...... Would it be sufficient to wrap the manifold in heatwrap? And perhaps an extra heatshield on the alternator?!

I can't make up my mind......

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 13/5/09 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i have a pinto in my car and the alternator is about 15mm of the exhaust and its been ok for about 5 years

If you look in dunk3 photo archives under alternator he has some photos of his alt on a 2l black top zetec
Jacko

[Edited on 13/5/09 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 13/5/09 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Heatshield and heat wrap will help

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

mark chandler

posted on 13/5/09 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds fine to me also, V8 engines have starter motor's next to hot exhausts, on most they have a small tin or ali plate that acts as a shield that sits in between the hot stuff and the cold stuff.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.