Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: T9 or T5 in MK Indy R?
boris123

posted on 18/5/09 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
T9 or T5 in MK Indy R?

I am debating putting a T5 or T9 behind a Duratec 2.3 in an Indy R, I am based in the US where cheap T5’s are readily available and am concerned about the durability of any T9 that I bring over with the kit, however I am not sure if I will need to do any mods to the kit or loose space in the cockpit (especially legroom) if I use a T5.
Comments???

Davey D

posted on 18/5/09 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
how about using a mazda mx5 gearbox? i believe they mate up directly to the duratec engines

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 18/5/09 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
i think thats only the later 6 speed isn't it?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

madteg

posted on 18/5/09 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
I have been putting 300bhp through a type 9 with no problems for the last 2 years so would go for a type 9.
djtom

posted on 18/5/09 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on what power you want to run and how much room you have in the chassis.

T5 should be good up to about 400bhp as standard. Not sure about the US, but in the UK they go for about £300, and have a half decent (2.95:1) first gear ratio as standard.

Type 9 (standard) seem to die at about 200bhp / 200lbft in my experience (lots of synchro problems - but then I use £25 second hand 'boxes!), and have crap ratios (3.65:1 first gear). The stronger remanufactured Quaife / BGH / TranX type 9s will set you back over £1000, and are supposedly rated up to about 300bhp. You get to choose ratios for that price!

Size wise - I've just swapped a T9 for a T5, and there's surprisingly little in it. Same length (within an inch), but the front of the gear casing is maybe a couple of inches wider.

Weight wise - judging from feel alone, a T5 is lighter than a standard T9, probably due to the ally bellhousing. T9's is steel and weighs a ton.

Let us know what you choose!

Tom

martyn_16v

posted on 18/5/09 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
You will loose a little bit of legroom. To get my type9 (and Vauxhall XE engine) into the Indy-R, MK had to move the bulkhead the pedals are on back by 3 inches to make the engine bay long enough. The front of the transmission tunnel has also been widened a wee bit, even so it's a very tight fit.

I still fit in fine though, 6ft tall. I'm using the MK fibreglass seats and there's still a bit of room to move the drivers seat back a couple of inches.

jpindy3

posted on 21/5/09 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
type 9s dont let go till 300bhp,
t5 is over kill

tootall

posted on 22/5/09 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
in a car a type9 is not the strongest option but when u put it in a kitcar u have a third of the waight to push so the type9 ends up a strong box if it were me id go for type 9 and u will need a ally bell housing any way to fit it to duratec so will be lighter than t5

some people dream of sucsess, others just get on and do it !!

Adam R.

posted on 24/5/09 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
how about using a mazda mx5 gearbox? i believe they mate up directly to the duratec engines

yes that`s right but only 05 and up gearboxes
5 or 6 speed

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.