Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Q Plates & MOT's
omega0684

posted on 19/5/09 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Q Plates & MOT's

just read 'bitsilly's' post about him selling his striker and it says at the bottom

quote:

Car is on a Q-plate, therefore at MOT it only has a visual smoke test, it also makes it ideal to put any engine you want in it, with or without a cat.

visual smoke test? does this mean it doesn't have an emissions test?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 19/5/09 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
yep

well, i seem to remember a few people saying different things, but as far as i know, Q plates only have a smoke test.

guess what plate i'm going for

Q's definitely have it better you know!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

asn163

posted on 19/5/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
I am not so sure about the Q plate and visual only any more.

See here:

http://nw.rhocar.org/MOT%20emission%20testing.htm

Simon

blakep82

posted on 19/5/09 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
i understood that all Q plates were to be assumed pre 1975 (even if they clearly aren't that old)

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

clairetoo

posted on 19/5/09 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Odd thing is - my car is a `T` reg , and last two MOT's it did not get an emission test - or brake test
Strange , cuz it allways used to get both ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

SteveWalker

posted on 19/5/09 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
It all seems a bit hit and miss. Mine's Q-plate, registered in 1999 after going through SVA, but states "previously registered" on the V5 (is this normal for Q-plates?), but has no emissions figures on the V5. During the first MOT they tested as the age of the engine (took my word that it was 1983), but since then it's always been visible smoke only.
omega0684

posted on 19/5/09 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
so basically if its not plooming smoke from the exhaust it'll pass?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
westf27

posted on 19/5/09 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
not sure about that.Mines Q plated sva'd 2006 with 1987 pinto.V5 states emission at 3.5%.MOT due this week,so maybe when the tester logs the car on computer it will pop up on screen to test emissions at 3.5%.

MkII

posted on 19/5/09 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
my striker was sva'ed 2004.it says "emissions-visual test only on reg certificate. m.
dhutch

posted on 19/5/09 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
Odd thing is - my car is a `T` reg , and last two MOT's it did not get an emission test - or brake test
Strange , cuz it allways used to get both ?

I need to go where your going!

Mine got both, on a q-plate, but passed both (failed on a leaking damper) although i didnt get the exhast readout which i always have at other places with the tintops.

Daniel

COREdevelopments

posted on 19/5/09 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Below text is from an earlier post i made at the begining of the year for a similar question. hope it is of use.

i had a quick look in the mot manual and there is an update, saying that

"kit/amatuer built vehicles built before 1998 require to be tested to 1975 emissions. and any built after 1998 require an SVA which determine the emissions which can be found on the vehicles V5".

those are not the exact words so dont quote me.
however i and many other Mot testers have not come accross this. and believe that Qs only require a visible smoke test as its always been, but i did try looking for it in writing but couldnt find it.
and as for all emissions, the MOT computer does not ask for any input of figures of emission results, we simply print off a slip and place it in a file with the vt40 which is kept for a few months then destroyed!

hope this helps anyone

Rob

also my V5 does not contain any emission info and its a Q plate, so looks like its visible test only which is nice.

*davies144*

posted on 19/5/09 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
'Q' means questionable origin so i dont think the rgistration will have anything to do with an mot will it?i thought it was what age the engine was, as a CAT was needed after 1993? wasnt it?
tim windmill

posted on 20/5/09 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
just had mine MOTd on q plate its a 1998 zetec blacktop, visual smoke test i didnt even bother putting the cat back on. It was sva,d in Feb 08 and required usual emmission test and cat.
flibble

posted on 20/5/09 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
My old T reg Dutton has only ever had the visual smoke test and both my road reg'd Q plate motocrossers are visual too.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.