Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another SVA Fail
SteveO

posted on 2/3/04 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Another SVA Fail

Yep...failed at the Leighton Buzzard center.
One of the testers was on Ali dome steriods. I failed on the following.
1. The ali trim on curved bit by the wheel arch each side where it meets the horizontal was not totally flush with panel. the small gap shows off the sharp rim of the trim.
2. unable to access the seat belt lower anchorage points.
3. my battery cut-off key underneath the passengers side foot well is less than 2.5mm radius.
4.The front shocks circular adjustment ring at the base of spring ( the nudges for the spanner if u want to adjust ) was contactable and non radiused..Blahhh

5. The exhaust brackets ..radius again. even though they were on the inside between panel and exhaust....the guy just went mad with this ali dome thing....
6.Reflectors also..even though it was 7mm above panel .I change from the round to the flat trailer type with sticky back.
8.The front top wish bone brackets again non radiused and contactable edge...crazy.
9.had two shock lock nuts missing.
10.Alternator belt not perfectly alighned.
11.Fuel vent hose pointing upwards instead of downwards.
12.handbrack cable (the spiral bit out the back) not secured.
13. The M12 washers used at the buttom rear wishbone does not cover the whole plastic bushing.
14.My hand brake light did not go off today of all days. it had never had any problem before.

Thats it folks.
I'm nearly put off...but not just yet.
No wonder i don't hear anyone going to this center.
Looks like i'll give the first show this year a miss .

Steve

Again on return he wants me to remove the passengers seat so he can see the seat belt anchorage

[Edited on 2/3/04 by SteveO]

theconrodkid

posted on 2/3/04 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like the nob i had at yeading,all small stuff tho,see ya on the road soon

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

SteveO

posted on 2/3/04 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
The guy was just going crazy with that ali dome thing, like it was his third extention.
all my speedo reading were 2mile out and he said i should look at that as well..i'm not impressed.
Can i retest at a different center does anyone know?

bob

posted on 2/3/04 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Steve

I believe you can retest at a different centre,i think the info is in one of those booklets you get with all the forms.

greggors84

posted on 2/3/04 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
This is where i was planning on taking mine for the SVA as its only about 5 miles away. Looks like i will have to look for the next nearest, unless it was just a one off. Let us know if you get a retest and where you do, if you can change.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

JoelP

posted on 2/3/04 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
that pisses me off, cos thats the sort of crap mine will fail on. im tempted to make a le mans style thing to cover all of the front up with... just something crappy to get an easier ride at SVA...

my fuel tank is off a speed boat, the vent is in the center of the screw on cap. Technically this points up, but i think it has something to stop spillage when upside down. Does anyone think this will fail?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Fozzie

posted on 2/3/04 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear that Steve
Bl**dy jobsworths! Seems to me as though he has taken a few things just a bit too far!
Chin up! Good luck with the re-test.
ATB fozzie

SeaBass

posted on 2/3/04 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear about fail... Just interested, what mirrors are those your using are they MK ones fitted to scuttle? I've got hold of some Hayabusa ones but don't think they'll pass. Did the mirrors pose a problem?

Cheers

zetec

posted on 3/3/04 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
lots of little points, some I would have thought would not warrant a fail. The bit about an alternator belt??? I know it is more hassle to question his word though. I've a mate who was VOSA tester for years and he does say that a lot of time these blokes get things wrong or as it sounds like with this bloke put their own spin on what the rules say.
SteveO

posted on 3/3/04 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,

I,m working from front end to the back from today.
The side mirrors are from a Suzuki gx600, the stalk fold inwards as well; they went through without any problems.

i will keep u posted.
Steve

Ian Pearson

posted on 3/3/04 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Shame about the fail. Seem to be a lot of Jobs Worths out there.

quote:

2. unable to access the seat belt lower anchorage points.

What was the gripe here?

Regards, Ian.

M@Triton

posted on 3/3/04 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
The SVA is like the MOT......the regs are so vague the tester has to (or not as the case may be) use his/her common sense.

Mot and SVA contradict each other on loads of issues....all you need then is a tosser of a tester to really make your day!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TPG

posted on 4/3/04 at 02:39 AM Reply With Quote
Mirrors/Lower seat belt..

Bad luck Steve O.Cap every thing thats been picked up.Once you're thru it's one hell of a rush.The lower inner mounting piont will be checking for Strength.If you've got the base of the tunnel panelled and the inspector is on,The mounting piont can't be fully inspected....Mirror & torch?.I stumbled on the mirrors with viewing angles.Mine weren't E marked or the swing back type.The ones it went thru with that is.Just had convex glass in..

..Which was nice..

Mark H

posted on 4/3/04 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Change of tester/test station...

I wouldn't bother. If you get the same bloke he should check only the fail items, it takes half an hour and assuming you've ticked off his list you should get through no bother (unless something really sticks out).

If you get someone else (by accident or by design) they are within their rights to find other faults - you can easily pass the things you worked on, then fail for a second time on other crappy stuff.

My mate on this site (who's car is a work of art) found this and was utterly pissed off. ANd the first tester damaged the car!

Mine (which is more a Tracey Emmin special than a work of art) got through the retest because i had the same bloke and he went through the fail list only.

So stick with it, smile, laugh at his jokes, etc. Only call him a twat after he has given you the pass slip! Hope this helps.

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

SteveO

posted on 5/3/04 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mark,

Thinking back now, i suspect the bloke wasn't impressed when i explained vent pipes as far as i know have alway been vented at a higher height than the tank, but i take your point.

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.