Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: air filter on indyblade
polomouth

posted on 20/5/09 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
air filter on indyblade

thinking off changing air filter on my fireblade 919cc 96 model. Oppions would be great please. what type of filter would be best suited also what kind of sound diffrence can i expect from a performance one to that of the standard air box? Also thinking of having it re jetted at some point. Anybody no of any places i could have all this set up and rolling roaded. I live near coventry but willing to travel to get a good service. Thanks for any help.
Hellfire

posted on 20/5/09 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Keep the airbox.

Phil

roadrunner

posted on 20/5/09 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I changed from filter to standard air box. The Japaneese spend millions developing these engines, i cant see an eighty quid filter making much difference.
fluidslvr

posted on 20/5/09 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
TTS @ silverstone for set up

http://www.tts-performance.com

Hellfire

posted on 20/5/09 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
All you're really gonna be doing by fitting a foam filter, is increasing induction noise and possibly reducing BHP.

Phil

Andy B

posted on 20/5/09 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Having done quite extensive dyno testing with a lot of different set ups on the blade we came to the following conclusions -
Standard airbox with Kand n filter fitted gave best driveability but with lowest outright bhp
Pipercross panel filter gave highest top end figures but really messed up the midrange fuelling
Our own forced induction box was 3hp down on the pipercross on rollers (but we could not simulate any ram air) however it greatly improved midrange and in back to back tests on circuit the datalogger showed an 8mph improvement in top speed at the end of the back straight at Snetterton. This was carried out using Alistair Boultons class C Phoenix. Basiclly what we could see happening was him changing up into 3rd 4th 5th and 6th much earlier allowing him to pull 6 for longer before braking at the end of the straight.
A benefit was also a big reduction in induction noise over the pipercross unit

Basicallly, apart from noise, the biggest problem with the pipercross unit is it flows so much air that if you try and fuel the top end you overfuel the midrange - a symptom of the lack of adjustability that carbs offer when compared to fuel injection ie needle position or main jet

hope that helps
regards
Andy

Steve Hignett

posted on 20/5/09 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Also, the above poster (Andy Bates - AB Performance) is prob to polite to come out and say it, but if you are ok to travel from Coventry to Ipswich (sorry, don't know how far that is!) then there isn't really a better place to set up your car either!!!
quote:
Originally posted by polomouth
thinking off changing air filter on my fireblade 919cc 96 model. Oppions would be great please. what type of filter would be best suited also what kind of sound diffrence can i expect from a performance one to that of the standard air box? Also thinking of having it re jetted at some point. Anybody no of any places i could have all this set up and rolling roaded. I live near coventry but willing to travel to get a good service. Thanks for any help.

mark chandler

posted on 20/5/09 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
I stuck a high flow filter and dynojetted my 893 blade engine, no real improvement but noise, initial throttle response felt to have improved but if its flatter elsewhere as Andy has described this would have explained it.

I then replaced the carbs with TB's and megasquirted, this made a massive difference, especially mid range torque, it was literally like being in a lower gear to the one selected.

Easy to speculate, what I can state for a fact is the clutch did not slip with carbs, with injection it did so something had changed requiring heavy springs to resolve.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.