Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Toyota 3sge - gearboxes still a nightmare?
200mph

posted on 21/5/09 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Toyota 3sge - gearboxes still a nightmare?

I've been reading bits n bobs on the 3sge engine but most of the threads/posts (both here and on the NZ & OZ sites) are now a little old - I wondered if anyone has recent experience of mating the engine to a gearbox?

The IS200 box I believe was the preferred choice other than weight and the 6 gears, but was the simplest route. Have any UK companies standardised adaptors or are able to match a box (Type 9?) with the engine?

Cheers n beers

Mark

If it isn't broke, fix it until it is

ashg

posted on 21/5/09 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
this may be helpfull regarding gear boxes

Click

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

200mph

posted on 21/5/09 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers ash but the website linked on that page doesn't exist any more (the page itself only deals with 4age engines unfortunately).

Mark

ashg

posted on 21/5/09 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
doh should have saved the txt last time i looked at it. it may be worth sending an email to the guy to see if he still has the content.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

200mph

posted on 21/5/09 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
I shall do some digging! Ta muchly

fopro

posted on 22/5/09 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
Toyota 3sge -gearbox still anihtmare

try this site and look at the fraser page
fopro

posted on 22/5/09 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry forgot the site name:
www.Billzilla. org

rick q

posted on 22/5/09 at 03:20 AM Reply With Quote
Fraser's in NZ are typically offered with a 3SGE / T50 combination [ http://www.fraser.co.nz/Engine-Options-16.html ] though Bill's Fraser uses the 6 speed from an Altezza.

Apparently, the T50 can be mated to the 3SGE using the bellhousing from one of the 1S engines - though I haven't got any other details, sorry.

nz_climber

posted on 22/5/09 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
W5* series gearboxes from the toyota supra etc are the best, handle high power, and bolt straight on to 3sge, I have the 6speed but it is a bit heavier (about 5-6kg) but it came with the engine, also closer ratios since final is very similar to 5speed. Take a look at the link below, has info on ratios and what cars they came from. w50 is steel case from memory, W55 upto W58 are alloy.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/dataBySubject/Gearboxes.html

probably more expensive than a type 9, but save yourself in the long run from not needing custom adapters, bellhousing and clutches etc

Cheers
Aaron

http://aarons7.wordpress.com

200mph

posted on 22/5/09 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers nz - this is exactly what I'm looking for. Just hoped the cost of making a bx fit wouldn't render the engine option non-viable.

Can I check that thi s is suitable?

Tis very cheap

[Edited on 22/5/09 by 200mph]

coozer

posted on 22/5/09 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
I have a w5summit alloy box as well, would love to mount behind my zetec, any tips.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

200mph

posted on 22/5/09 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Clicky says that only the W55 box will more or less slot straight on and the W57/8 require a fair few modifications.

The W57 on fleabay is £25 at the moment with only 4 hours left so I'm on the fence as to whether I should buy it (assuming it stays reasonable).

nz_climber

posted on 24/5/09 at 03:15 AM Reply With Quote
I am pretty sure the W57 and 58's have the same bolt patterns as the other w series box, but might need to check the bell housing. should be good thou. Also do some reading at http://forums.toyspeed.org.nz as there is a few 3sge rwd drive project on there with w series boxes.

SPYDER

posted on 24/5/09 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there. Are you the same guy who was selling a 3SGE..IS200 gearbox combo?
See following link
link
The gearbox in question was not a direct fit , according to the seller. Is it from a six cylinder IS200 I wonder?
I have a 3SGE ..T50 combination in my Spyder Silverstone. I was initially trying to source the 1S bellhousing from New Zealand but the deal fell through. They are all but impossible to find in the UK.
So I decided to adapt my 2T bellhousing. This involved repositioning some of the mounting bolts and both the dowels.
Then machining 5mm from the front face to allow the input shaft to reach the end of the crank.
Then you find that the 3SGE flywheel is slightly too big to fit inside, so more machining inside the bellhousing. Then you have to chamfer the opposite edges of the ring gear as the starter motor points backwards instead of forwards. Then the clutch arm pivot needs lengthening. And you need a clutchplate to suit the 2T input shaft and a 3SGE flywheel. Then you need to make an adaptor for the starter motor.
This all took ages but the result is worth it.
The T50 box is OK in a lightweight car (or so I am told) but anything heavier would benefit from a W series box. I imagine it can't be any more difficult to adapt than a T50. The W boxes are much bigger and heavier though.
If you can find an ex- Altezza six speed it should fit straight on.
The W55 will fit with the correct bellhousing, but I don't know where you would get one in the UK. No UK car was produced with a 3SGE W?? box. AFAIK.
What are you building anyway?
If you end up going down the adaptation route then you could start with almost any gearbox.
Geoff.

[Edited on 24/5/09 by SPYDER]

nz_climber

posted on 29/5/09 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Just to add further to this conversataion, here is a list of all bellhousings that fit onto a 3SGE so between that and the list of gearboxes I put up earlier you should be able to find a match..

1C 2C 3C
1S 2S 3S 4S 5S
1VZ 2VZ 3VZ 4VZ 5VZ
1MZ 2MZ 3MZ
1GR 2GR 3GR 4GR
2y 3y 4y

I think from the thread I got that from the Y series box needs one mounting whole slotted to fit.

http://forums.toyspeed.org.nz/viewtopic.php?t=73257

200mph

posted on 29/5/09 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
I think I'm pretty much sold on BEAMS power. I'll keep an eye out for a reasonably priced 'box that will limit modifications/alterations.

Cheers all for the input

nz_climber

posted on 30/5/09 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
If you are going for a BEAMS engine, then get one with the matching 6speed, then thats all your issues solved.

Also don't be afraid to pm me or email via my blog if you have any questions as the electronics are a bit tricky but I should have all that sorted soon.

Shouldn't be hard getting a engine gearbox loom and computer out of japan for a resonable price, Also to make things easier I got fuel pump, drive shaft, and dash gauge cluster..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.