Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First MOT Steering Column Question
hearnia

posted on 25/5/09 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
First MOT Steering Column Question

The time has just about rolled around for my Indys first MOT, just given the car the once over and stumbled across a point in the MOT handbook which got me thinking...

I have a bit of play in and out of the Sierra steering rack i.e. sitting in the seat the internals of the column will pull out and push in about 15mm.

Is this an issue when it comes to the MOT?

The column works all through this travel, and hasn't given me any issues over the past 3 years.

Is there a solution to this travel so I can ensure the internals of the column stay fixed? I am going to replace the uppermost bearing this week, so any suggestions would be greatly received.

Thanks,

Joe

Never compromise on a good earth!

Guinness

posted on 25/5/09 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be checking things thoroughly, not just because it's an MOT issue, but if something has come adrift, and you pull on the steering wheel and it comes off in your hand, you won't have a chance of deciding where you want your accident to be......

First off, is the circlip at the steering rack end is holding the column in. Then check the lower joint (the rubber disc) is OK. Then check the upper uj is OK. Then check the clamp is done up nice and tight (onto the triangular section). If all of that lot is OK, but it still moves in and out by 15mm, you are going to have to look underneath the scuttle to check the bolts holding the shaft into the chassis are done up tight.

If all of that is OK, prise the cover off the centre of the steering wheel and check the big nut is tight and holding the wheel onto the shaft.

If everything is done up tight and it still moves...... I dunno.

HTH

Mike

hearnia

posted on 25/5/09 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
This is the issue, I have checked everything else and there is no movement anywhere other than the bar that the steering wheel bolts to that feeds into the column.

All bolts, circlips and other items outside of the column are fine, this issue appears to be inside the column somewhere.

Does anyone have an understanding of the inside of the Sierra column? How the bar that holds the steering wheel on transfers the rotational movement to the trianglar section?

Cheers,

Joe

wilkingj

posted on 25/5/09 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Somethings not right.
Check and resolve before driving.

You would be deep in the poo if you had an accident and they found this post. You would be considered negligent and at fault for driving with it faulty.
The bottom line could be invalid insurance.
or more likely a reduced payout.

Insurance companies have a habit of digging deep for get out's when they are faced with a payout.

I dont know the answer, but please check it and resolve the problem.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 25/5/09 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Steering shaft has the triangular section pushed into triangular hole and it should slide (stiff) in and out of it. This wont cause your problem.
Behind the wheel you should have a small plastic bush that presses down onto the top bearing. Below the bottom bearing you should have a big coil spring that is trapped between the bearing and a ridge on the shaft. If either the bush or spring is missing then you'll get up/down play.

I had play because the OMP wheel adapter didn't go far enough onto the shaft at the hex. That then didn't compress the spring enough and I had play. I cured it with a steel bush (about 15mm) between the spring and it's seating ridge. It was a spacer ring from a wheel bearing found in my box of random crap.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

hearnia

posted on 25/5/09 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to have a look into the spacer ring idea, will have to take the column out tomorrow and have a play around.

As far as I can recall there is no plastic bush behind the wheel. I am using an aftermarket steering wheel.

Have no fear I wouldn't consider driving it like that, although I have no idea when the issue first arose.

Cheers,

Joe

[Edited on 25/5/09 by hearnia]

mad-butcher

posted on 25/5/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
the plastic thing you refer to is the indicator canceling bush. I'm still slightly confused as to were the play is, is it just in the column or is the playthe full length from the pinnion in the rack to the steering wheel

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 25/5/09 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad-butcher
the plastic thing you refer to is the indicator canceling bush.
tony

Yes thats the one. It doubles up as the spacer to press the top bearing race down.

hearnia

posted on 25/5/09 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I wont have that bush then as the entire contents of the column have been removed.

I will have to have a closer look tomorrow at applying some pressure onto that bearing race.

The movement is coming from inside the column itself.

If you can imagine that the steering wheel is held tight by the top bolt, I can pull the shaft that this is attached to (by pulling on the steering wheel, as if pulling it towards your chest) in and out approx. 15mm.

None of the other couplings and such like move at the bottom end of the column, this movement is purely in the top half of the column.

mad-butcher

posted on 26/5/09 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
the canceling bush is about 15mm long, sounds like that's the problem.

tony

procomp

posted on 26/5/09 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Yep it definatly the bush missing that is taking the preload of the coil spring.Simply make a new spacer that will put the preload back onto the spring.

Also check to see if the triangular section is still inserted into both the end bush and the one further up inside as this has been to known to fail on the MOT also if the triangular section has been pulled out of the inner bush and now only in the end one.

Cheers Matt

hearnia

posted on 26/5/09 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your help!

I'll get a bush machined up at work in the next couple of days.

Has anyone made one before? Any information to share such as dimensions, location, pictures etc.?

Thanks again.

Joe

mad-butcher

posted on 26/5/09 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry about little tit (wait for comments) on the top that locates in steering wheel and the other one is the self canceling tag for sierra switch gear.
about 25mm wide 20mm tall sorry forgot to measure hole
19 / 20 mm

[Edited on 26/5/09 by mad-butcher] Rescued attachment column spacer.jpg
Rescued attachment column spacer.jpg

hearnia

posted on 26/5/09 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Super job, I'll get on it right away!

Cheers,

Joe

adithorp

posted on 26/5/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
The bottom rim of the bush (bit its standing on) should be tapered (45' so that it centres in the top bearing inner race.

adrian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.