Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Problem with neigbours
speedyxjs

posted on 5/6/09 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Problem with neigbours

Our neigbours want to put up a fence in the middle of our shared driveway.
We are have a little trouble determining the line.
A couple or years ago, i posted this picture of his dodgy driveway building.

Neighbours complain about this

As you can see, he redid his driveway and took out some of ours.
We cant seem to find a decent picture of the driveway before his workand google maps doesnt go close enough.
Does anyone know where i can get a picture from (locost as possible)?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

anup

posted on 5/6/09 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Land registry will have the drawings on the property boundaries. Not sure what it will cost you though
Bluemoon

posted on 5/6/09 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
You might have the land registry stuff when you purchased the house???
James

posted on 5/6/09 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I can't imagine why he'd want a fence, what with all your dodgy old Jags on there! lol!

Land Registry document is about £2.

But it's not that detailed I don't think.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

chris_harris_

posted on 5/6/09 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
As previously mentioned, the Land registry will tell you but it won't give specific dimensions i don't think.
You can buy the docs from land registry, costs about 3.50 if i recall, and you just download it.
To be absolutely sure, i would suggest getting a surveyor to come out, and mark it up, and it would be worth it too, as if you come to sell in the future, you will have the evidence, and no continued dispute either.

Probabaly worth having the discussion with the neighbour and agree to pay for this between you.

What you don't want is for him to have claimed the land, and then use it for 12 years as his, then he can stake claim i believe, all be it a very small piece of land, but its yours so keep it!!

Regards Chris

speedyxjs

posted on 5/6/09 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
We got the documents from the land registry site but its not that detailed.
He has agreed to have the fence posts on his side and he will hopefully leave enough room to get the locost out of the garage when its finished.

[Edited on 5-6-09 by speedyxjs]

deezee

posted on 5/6/09 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
You can go to the Land Registry Website and for £3 they'll send them to you.

Or, places like Borders etc can print you off accurate OS registry maps of a property. But these aren't as accurate.

DarrenW

posted on 5/6/09 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Problem with land registry docs (or at least the few ive had) is that they rarely have detailed measurements on them and the thickness of the pencil line will be the area under contention.

My last house had had a fence between the 2 drives. This was removed at some stage (conveniently you could see where the posts were so the boundary line was never an issue). I seem to recall there was palanning permision in place to remove the boundary fence and a gateway at the front of my old property. It might be worth checking if permision is required to install a fence (or similar) between 2 drives. If there is then i guess this is your chance to stop it happening. If you cant stop it then such planning application would have to detail where the boundary is.
You may well find when the estate was originally built there would be covenants restricting boundary walls and what can be parked on peoples property. This is why you often dont see boats, caravans, vans etc on new houses. I dont know how long the covenants are enforceable for though, however the council should have records of the original developers application and permissions to check this out (i know for new developments they are available for public viewing, all you have to do is ask at reception and they should bring you a copy out that can be viewed in their offices).

Personally i would;
a. not like a fence between the 2 drives as it restricts access to cars and is generally a pain,
b. not like it if i shared a drive and neighbour had a liking to parking old (read off road for substantial periods) cars on there whether being broken up or otherwise.

Its always best to work things out amicably between the 2 of you if possible, although i guess that would mean not having such jags on view at front of property.

MakeEverything

posted on 5/6/09 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Id get a 12" petrol grinder, and relay my drive as well. If its on your property, you can do what you like to it i think. ALWAYS check with a solicitor first though.

I had a similar problem with a neigbour. Our drives were the same as yours, and we got a good solicitor and land registry files. All resolved in the end.

If he wants to put a fence up, it needs to be completely on his land (unles you agree), which means he will be reducing the width of his driveway by about 4"?

Might be worth mentioning this.

Also, your property starts in the center of the pier between the two garages. Looks to me like he's encroaching already, so id look into that as well. He will need to dig up one of the rows of bricks and repair your property, but your solicitor will advise you on this.

[Edited on 5/6/09 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

speedyxjs

posted on 5/6/09 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
i guess that would mean not having such jags on view at front of property.

She went about a year and a half ago

RK

posted on 5/6/09 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Agree to pay half the fence, and you are more likely to get a nice one, not the ugly one he may propose!!
Mr Whippy

posted on 5/6/09 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
Our neigbours want to put up a fence in the middle of our shared driveway.

can't imagine why...

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 5/6/09 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
As said already, i would assume that the boundary line is exactly halfway between garages and if the other end of drive is clearly defined, half way between at the front. That would be at least the sensible way to divide it up. Certainly looks like they have encroached on your side a bit but photo angles can be decieving and not all drives are straight.

The idea of forcing them to ensure the fence is totally on their side is interesting. Convention says that they should put the nice side facing you too - ie posts on their side in the case of a post and rail timber fence. Original plans may restrict what height any boundary fences are, if allowed at all without planning permision.

ETA - planning departments are usually very ameniable to advise if an application is required. No harm in you sending them a letter with a brief sketch and photo as if you were thinking of the fence. That way you will get a reply ref if planning is required and if its worth applying (ie some applications will just get thrown out and not looked at).

[Edited on 5/6/09 by DarrenW]

speedyxjs

posted on 5/6/09 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
As said already, i would assume that the boundary line is exactly halfway between garages and if the other end of drive is clearly defined, half way between at the front. That would be at least the sensible way to divide it up. Certainly looks like they have encroached on your side a bit but photo angles can be decieving and not all drives are straight.

Thats what we want to do but he insists it is kinked as in the picture

iank

posted on 5/6/09 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
We got the documents from the land registry site but its not that detailed.
He has agreed to have the fence posts on his side and he will hopefully leave enough room to get the locost out of the garage when its finished.

[Edited on 5-6-09 by speedyxjs]

Do the plans show a kink in the drive boundary? If not and it's a ruler job then it seem obvious that the start should be the center of the pier of the garages. If the other end is as obvious then a bit of string will show the boundary nicely.

As a matter of interest why did you not object when the work was done? That's the best time - they would have to have move it back and made your side as before (probably mean tarmacing the whole thing but at that point they could have had their contractor pay for the mistake (assuming they'd not ordered it done wrong.)

Loads of people try it on when doing work at the boundary. Classic is to move a fence a couple of inches when it's replaced.

You need it sorted out properly if you ever want to sell - worse if they sell and the new owners get arsey about losing land they thought they'd bought.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Rek

posted on 5/6/09 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Can he actually build a fence?

if the garages went up with the properties then there may be covenance around obstruction as it looks more like a shared access than a driveway in the picture.

DarrenW

posted on 5/6/09 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
And if not a covenant to support shared access it may be in force to protect the open plan nature of the development. Such a covenant may not be on the individual property's deeds, hence my comment ref viewing the original developers overall planning permision.

One way to have a basic look at deeds may be to view the online information pack if there is a house for sale close by (that was recently put up for sale). Ive seen these as an attachment to estate agents details.

oldtimer

posted on 5/6/09 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yes ^^^, check the deeds first. Driveways may well be shared/open. If there is supposed to be a fence there then responsibility for the boundary will be in the title deeds somewhere. OS maps are no use as they only show where a boundary is - not if or where it should be. If there has to be a fence - and I only see negatives to there being one - fairest is that the boundary should be from midway between the common front of the properties to midway between the common backs of the properties, then from that point to between the garages - this gives both of you equal space through the squeeze. I suggest you mark this line , put a piece of plywood against it and show your neighbour how inconvenient it will be for him.
Rek

posted on 5/6/09 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rek
Can he actually build a fence?

if the garages went up with the properties then there may be covenance around obstruction as it looks more like a shared access than a driveway in the picture.

I should add that before beginning any discussion about obstructing that there's nothing of yours sat there :-)

[Edited on 5/6/09 by Rek]

britishtrident

posted on 5/6/09 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Check your title deeds you are likely to find a fence or wall dividing the properties at the front is expressly forbidden.

Also planning authorities are not keen on housholders who replace a porus surface driveways with block paving.

[Edited on 5/6/09 by britishtrident]

dogwood

posted on 5/6/09 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have to agree, I beleive that he can't put up a fence.

If it's a shared access. The emphasis on "Shared" I.e. not his not yours.

David

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

mark chandler

posted on 5/6/09 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
My house is odd in that respect; I have a car parking spot on my neighbours driveway as it was a large house once with parking on only one one side.

That aside, if he wants a fence it has to be entirely on his property, if it was a wall with guttering then 4" inside the boundary.

I recon you get a piece of string and drape it from the centre line of the garage to the centre line of the drive endings then have a sensible conversation with him, you will win space and get a noise barrier so nothing to lose as I see it.

He has to provide you with the nice side of the fence, as its your parents house it does get a bit funny but the council will back you up, you are allowed to build things such as locosts at home as long its not for financial gain or your are not persistently noisy.

Neither apply; you have been making it for years

bikenuts

posted on 5/6/09 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
If he's just worried about your unsightly drive devaluing his property it might be worth pointing out to him that a boundary dispute HAS to be disclosed and can really put people off.
speedyxjs

posted on 5/6/09 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
We got a bit of string yesterday and showed him where the line should be (middle of the garages to middle of the bottom of the drive) but he doesnt think it is right.
They are just awkward b**ggers who think they are miles above everyone else

DavidM

posted on 5/6/09 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
It looks like it will seriously obstruct your access. How will you open your car doors to get in and out. If it was me I would tell him no.
I suspect as others have said that there will be a restriction in the deeds preventing erection of a fence at the front of the house. It will be written into your deeds, so you should check this first.

David

Proportion is Everything

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.