Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: push button gearchange
pgtips

posted on 8/6/09 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
push button gearchange

I like the idea of installing an electronic flatshifter button operated gear change. I allreddy have flatshifter pro instaled but my home made (not be me but a very good effet) mechanical paddles getting a bit worn now so I need re think the disign or do something differend I like the idea of still having my switch gear on the steering coloumn.
I have a question for people using the push button setup. If for some reason the gearbox refuses to go in to gear will the actuator force it in and damge the box, or it has some kind of trickery to sto that happening?

[Edited on 8/6/09 by pgtips]

[Edited on 8/6/09 by pgtips]

MakeEverything

posted on 8/6/09 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
I would imagine some sort of "Servo Saver" device would prevent damage.

ie, a spring loaded damper mechanism that compresses if the force is too great. This would prevent bending the lever, twisting the selector shaft or damaging the gears.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

nstrug

posted on 9/6/09 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Not to hijack the thread, but I also have a question about these systems (like Flatshifter Max) - how do you find neutral?

Nick

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/6/09 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
I've often wondered what BEC owners do if they forget to shift down when stopping at lights etc and find themselves in 3rd gear...

as on my bike it just isn't going to go into gear without moving the bike till the dogs line up and let you shift down, looking at the design of the internals, no amount of force on the shifter will push it into gear as the dog teeth are square profile unlike a cars tapered ones

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tootall

posted on 9/6/09 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
i too would like to know how u get newtral as it will just pass straight threw into second or into first i some times have a job on with my mechanical paddles to get it in newtral

some people dream of sucsess, others just get on and do it !!

hobbsy

posted on 9/6/09 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hard to describe but on mine its kinda half a pull.

But I've also retained the stick so can always do it with that

[Edited on 9/6/09 by hobbsy]

cloudy

posted on 9/6/09 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I've often wondered what BEC owners do if they forget to shift down when stopping at lights etc and find themselves in 3rd gear...

R4 will quite happily beat most from the lights even in 3rd or 4th - so unless I leave it in 5th I don't find an issue when I have indeed forgotten to shift down the box... Just requires a little more finesse with the left foot

James

www.warnercars.com

tootall

posted on 9/6/09 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
hobbsy
no i can get newtral but with a electronic shift how does a press of a button get newtral as its a half pull or push which a solanoid wont do will it ????

some people dream of sucsess, others just get on and do it !!

cloudy

posted on 9/6/09 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
A short duration button push can translate to a half duration pulse to the sol - just needs setting up right to get that mid spot I suppose...

www.warnercars.com

grazo

posted on 8/7/09 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
push button gearchange

Flatshifter do push button gearshifters ,but can also supply an additional gadget to find neutral for you!!!
graz

Kriss

posted on 9/7/09 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
if I am stuck in say 4th at the lights, i can pull the paddle, lift the clutch slowly and then hear it clonk down a peg, then again and again.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.