Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rebuilding callipers
JekRankin

posted on 11/6/09 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Rebuilding callipers

I'm currently trying to refurbish my M16 callipers.

I managed to get the pistons out using the grease gun method, however I've since been advised that grease can wreck calliper seals! Is this the case, and if so, what's the best method to remove the grease from inside the callipers?

I've also found some light corrosion on the surface of the cylinder bores - is this likely to be a problem? I'll get a photo posted up once I haul them out the electrolysis bath!

Jek

02GF74

posted on 11/6/09 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
wash the grease out with petrol or paraffin. you have removed the seals already?

light corrosion is fine as long as the chroming is not worn away or pitted. polish with very fine wet'n'dry 1000 grade.

if surface is still pitted, then they will seep brake fluid - no need to ask how I now

you can buy new pistons - bigred ? I had to buy one, not more than £ 20 I think.

mcerd1

posted on 11/6/09 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JekRankin
once I haul them out the electrolysis bath!

will there be much grease left after that ?

-

pewe

posted on 11/6/09 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Providing the pitting is only light you can buy a set of Draper honing stones to use on the electric drill to remove it. Valtra on here is a Draper agent so might be able to help.
Cheers, Pewe

JR V yes need to spilt the caliper to hone but any overhaul kit should include an O ring for the transfer port. Otherwise no problem - just ensure the mating faces are clean before refitting and that the whole caliper body is first de-greased and blown through to remove any grit.

[Edited on 12/6/09 by pewe]

JekRankin

posted on 11/6/09 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a photo of the corrosion on the cylinder bore. I'd say its fairly light, so I'm thinking I might be able to remove it with some Deox rust dissolving gel.

After the electrolysis, most of the grease had dissolved - I suppose dissolving grease is what soda crystals are most often used for!

JekRankin

posted on 11/6/09 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
PS honing stones sound like a good idea Pewe, but wouldn't that involve splitting the calliper?
easisatman

posted on 11/6/09 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi jet
I am just in the middle of over hauling my m16 calipers and have ordered stainless pistons and a seal kit from biggred so waiting for the postman to deliver them.
The pistons I took out were just beggining to pit and rust,so i decided to change them. The bores had very slight rust marks so I used t cut to remove and polish up ready for the new pistons, also the discs i had were slightly bent so i bought some new ones today with new pads
regards
Paul

rusty nuts

posted on 11/6/09 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
The best stuff for cleaning the grease off would be brake cleaner.I would advise against splitting the caliper halves.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.