Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: UPDATE ON MNR REVERSE BOX
iain b

posted on 15/6/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
UPDATE ON MNR REVERSE BOX

my car has been the test bed for the reverse box..the the results are as follows...1st.fantastic...2nd..after around 1000. miles of hammer in four week i do not want my old box back ..it drives as though there is no box at all.no clucks or backlash..and totally silent in forward gears.as you only use reverse now and then this is the most important requirement you need ...my old box made for a noisey clangy drive.......U ALL KNOW WHAT I MEAN ... (must go it has just stopped raining so go out for another spin)...........ps.see u all at newark this weekend along with MNR..
iain b

posted on 15/6/09 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
JUST A QUICK ONE.i will be at the show with my car on the mnr stand if any body needs to know any more details...see u all there
Steve Hignett

posted on 15/6/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Are they in production now then?
eznfrank

posted on 15/6/09 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
I've been told the first batch should be ready Thursday, I'm planning to go pick mine up Friday or Saturday if it's in before then.
madteg

posted on 15/6/09 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Got any pics ?
iain b

posted on 15/6/09 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
just got back in another 40 miles clocked up ,would have been more but did not fancy getting wet ....yes they are now taking orders and the first batch are on there way..........i would ring chris if u are picking yours up ay the weekend because they are at newark friday onwards
eznfrank

posted on 15/6/09 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iain b
just got back in another 40 miles clocked up ,would have been more but did not fancy getting wet ....yes they are now taking orders and the first batch are on there way..........i would ring chris if u are picking yours up ay the weekend because they are at newark friday onwards

Ahh....I;d not got round to suggesting a pick up date yet, I was told this morning they should be in Thursday so I might have to go Monday

ashg

posted on 15/6/09 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
i had a play with the display one and i must say its a proper bit of kit. when its not in reverse the shaft spins freely like a prop bearing.

when it goes to reverse you can feel the internal gears working the magic and the input and output turn in opposite directions. what i also noted was how solid it felt and how well it went into and held in reverse.

[Edited on 15/6/09 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

iain b

posted on 15/6/09 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
all i can say is my old box is not going back in...and that is that
iain b

posted on 15/6/09 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
i also forgot to say.it is an exact replacement for what is the most popular box on the market...bolt holes and prop bolt centres..it took me just an hour to swop mine over..
Winston Todge

posted on 15/6/09 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Great news about the reverse box Iain! Sounds like a great bit of kit.

Just a question about your comment 'no clunks or backlash'. I'm just wondering if this is a comparitive point relative to the old reverse box or whether it really is no clonks at all in forward gears irrelevant of whether you're changing up or pulling away?

I've got no reverse fitted with a TRT Dunning and Fairbank prop and there is a fair amount of backlash in the transmission. This is mostly noticeable when slowing in first under engine braking then pulling away again without going back into neutral.

I dont have a huge amount of experience with BEC's but lots with bikes! Just curious whether this is a Differential wear issue (not recond'ed) or whether it's inherent in motorcycle gearboxes?

Ta,

Chris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triggerhappy

posted on 16/6/09 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
How about servicing etc...imin the middle of my build and can only refer to my friends experiences with current reverses (Quaife and westfield) and they spit oil etc...flange bearings don´t live to well.

Is there an power rating on the MNR box? (Hayabusa power)

Im from Sweden, so im escused...The Muppet drummer for president!!

eznfrank

posted on 16/6/09 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triggerhappy
How about servicing etc...imin the middle of my build and can only refer to my friends experiences with current reverses (Quaife and westfield) and they spit oil etc...flange bearings don´t live to well.

Is there an power rating on the MNR box? (Hayabusa power)

I have bagged one of the boxes (just waiting a collection date). I was told it would be fine for my ZX12, similar to standard Busa power. And also that it does not require servicing?

iain b

posted on 16/6/09 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
the box builds no pressure up so spits no oil out,as asked you will always get a bit of backlash from abike gearbox but this box is like driving with just a straight prop with centre bearing .......................i also forgot to say i got an instant 5bhp increase at the wheels as it is friction free
daniel mason

posted on 16/6/09 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
how much BHP do they lose against the same set up but with straight through prop and no reverse?
marc n

posted on 17/6/09 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote
thats a good question !! would like to do that test too when time allows, would suspect there wont be any / or very little difference as when your going forward all its doing is running on two oil lubricated bearings, whereas on a centre bearing prop your running through one sealed bearing

be nice to do the test one day to give the definative answer

cheers

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daniel mason

posted on 17/6/09 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
if the results are very similar i may get one later in the year marc. especially if i keep getting into awkward positions and have to get out and push! lol
Triggerhappy

posted on 18/8/09 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Got my precious today....Ultra smooth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7wQfVcXOZc

[Edited on 18/8/09 by Triggerhappy]

Im from Sweden, so im escused...The Muppet drummer for president!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.