Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: swapping Toyo R888
polomouth

posted on 15/6/09 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
swapping Toyo R888

Good evening all, just been in the garage and noticed that my rear tyres are alot more worn than the fronts. I was thinking off changing them over and putting the rears on the front and the front tyres on the back so i could get abit more use out of them. Can anybody see a problem with this as i was abit worried about changing them over and to the possible side affects it could cause. Thanks for any help.
madteg

posted on 15/6/09 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Is it cheeper to put new ones on the back when worn out or to swop around and end up bying all four.
polomouth

posted on 15/6/09 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah got a price for 2 toyo 888 fitted for £168.00 cheapest so far. I just wanted to try and save some cash as skint at mo from being made redundant. So just wanted to swop them over to keep them within legal tread depth for longer. I wasnt sure if it would upset the balance of the car buy swapping them around that is my main concern.
SteveWalker

posted on 15/6/09 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
If you're skint, swap away. My only reason for trying to avoid doing so, is so I won't have to buy four at once when they all wear out.
s2gse

posted on 15/6/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
i had the same but in the end have purchased two new ones for the back as the old ones were to worn and well below the legal limit

also found the left rear was the worst as the tracks have been clockwise so most of the loading is on that tyre and the r888 can not be move from left to right with out taking off the wheel as they are directional
but they are a great tyre

life's to short and so was the drive

polomouth

posted on 15/6/09 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replys lads. I think i'll be swapping them over for now tho as there is still abit of life in them yet. I'll just have to deal with the big bill when i get to it. Hopefully things will have picked up by then tho.
jimgiblett

posted on 16/6/09 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
According my pal who is an ex works driver. Race tyres will be compromised if you swap them from rear to front or vice versa.

Roughly explained to me this is due to the fatiguing of the rubber. If you can imagine the tyre stationary the forces of acceleration will pull the treads in completely the opposite direction to tyres under braking. Changing direction of the pull on the tread will cause fatiguing which will mean that the tyres will preform worse and wear will be higher.

That said in normal road usage the difference will probably go unnoticed.

- Jim

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.