Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Selling a car for cash - how do you know it is genuine?
smart51

posted on 16/6/09 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Selling a car for cash - how do you know it is genuine?

I've been provisionally offered a fairly low sum for my car with the possibility of collection today. If he turns up with cash, how do I know its OK?

The ideal solution would be for him to arrive whilst the banks are still open but that probably means both of us taking the day off work.

eznfrank

posted on 16/6/09 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
If you have a local Staples they should have those pens that you draw on the notes with. My also be able to buy a small UV light pen to check them. I have both for work, onyl a few quid each.
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 16/6/09 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Go buy a counterfeit pen from the local post office/stationary shop! Then run it over a test selection of notes as and when buyer arrives. If he's genuine, he won't have a problem....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

vinny1275

posted on 16/6/09 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
The only sure-fire way is to take it to the bank.

If you want to test a sample, here are the tests you can do:

The bank of england script is raised up from the note.
the watermark needs to be present and look like the queen's image on the note.
The foil strip needs to be woven into the note.
If you gently tear down the note from the top edge, down the line of the foil strip, you should meet stronger resistance at a point.
The red / orange / purple patch on the note (depending on the denomination) will rub off onto plain paper.

+ detector pen / uv light if you have them...

HTH

Vince

smart51

posted on 16/6/09 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vinny1275
The red / orange / purple patch on the note (depending on the denomination) will rub off onto plain paper.

On a genuine note or a forgery?

BenB

posted on 16/6/09 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Pens or UV lights as mentioned.

Of course the other option is the pragmatic approach, if you can't tell it's fake neither will anyone else.....

smart51

posted on 16/6/09 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Pens or UV lights as mentioned.

Of course the other option is the pragmatic approach, if you can't tell it's fake neither will anyone else.....

What? Don't take it to the bank? Corner shops and petrol stations it is then. I guess I could take a few in to the bank at a time.

BenB

posted on 16/6/09 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Largest proportion of my folding goes to my local pub and I've never seen them check any notes....

Personally though I'd always ask that the person turns up when the bank is open so I can cash it into my account there and then....

pewe

posted on 16/6/09 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Friend of a friend (aka wide boy) was caught out one Bank(!) Holiday by a number of forged £50 notes. They were very good copies and they had pencilled-in the magnetic strip so it looked genuine.
He went to the local wholesaler and used them to buy goods. The cashier asked him to wait while they checked the notes. Next thing he knew the old Bill were feeling his collar alleging he was part of the gang who were passing them off. They finally believed his story that he was innocent and let him go but not until he'd spent a whole day in the nick. Needlesss to say he walked out minus the notes and no goods to show for them!
Cheers, Pewe

200mph

posted on 16/6/09 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
£50 are the most commonly forged notes. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole unless you've seen the bank employee hand them over personally.

If it isn't broke, fix it until it is

gingerprince

posted on 16/6/09 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
I sold my TVR for cash a couple of years ago. I wanted the guy to come when the banks were open but that wasn't possible. What I did in the end was accept the cash and check it to the best of my abilities. I then let him take the car, and said I'd send the V5 along to him once I'd paid the cash into the bank. If it had turned out to be fake, I still had the V5 and the car would have been reported stolen.

Incidentally, the bank didn't actually check the cash when I paid it in - just counted and weighed it. I wonder if a wedge of fakes would weigh significantly differently and alert them that way?

[Edited on 16/6/09 by gingerprince]

SteveWalker

posted on 16/6/09 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
One of our local pubs used to have a sign on the wall saying that they did not accept 50 pound notes - I always wondered what they'd do if they'd poured a round of drinks and I then presented a 50 and said it was all I had. I'm fairly sure that there used to be a law, but don't know if it is still in force, that said if you were given a price and offered notes (also coins to certain limits) then they *had* to be accepted and if they were refused, the debt they were presented for would be void and you could keep the goods for free.
vinny1275

posted on 16/6/09 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:
Originally posted by vinny1275

On a genuine note or a forgery?

genuine ones (the rest of the ink won't rub off tho)...

RK

posted on 16/6/09 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Go to the pub. Easier than the bank, AND don't take 50's. On my recent trip to the UK, everyone was suspicious of the 50's but they checked them and they were all OK. Tell him you want a certified bank draft. It'll cost him a few pounds but then you know it's good.
02GF74

posted on 16/6/09 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
If he has a wedge of £ 100 pounds notes, then they are fake

the rubbing off the ink off the front used to work - the new notes - just checked in my bulging wallet - no longer have them but have hologram

look at the hologram - that is quite difficult to do.

check the watermarks and the metal strip - it sould be interleaved.

and finally if the chief cashier is Micky Mouse then avoid.

good luck - fingers crossed it goes well.

[Edited on 16/6/09 by 02GF74]

blakep82

posted on 16/6/09 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
when i lived and worked in london, most fakes i saw in the shop were scottish £20 notes.

there's nothing wrong with using scottish notes in england, but because they were'nt seen that often, they thought they were easier to go unnoticed. not with me on the case though

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

matt_gsxr

posted on 16/6/09 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Take a picture of him standing in front of the car that you are selling him.

Make sure it includes the number plate and his full face.

No-one who is honest will mind, and if it all goes wrong you have something for the police.

Matt

BenB

posted on 16/6/09 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
If you're used to dealing with 50s then it's not a problem. The problem (and the reason why the crims copy the pinkies and the scottish notes) is that people aren't used to dealing with them so don't spot fakes so easily. We're so used to dealing with fivers and tenners that it becomes quite easy to spot the fakes. All the fake notes that I've ever seen have been pretty obvious (though of course it requires someone to highlight them as fake in the first place!!!! maybe there are hundreds of good fakes doing the rounds)....
emsfactory

posted on 16/6/09 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
i would mind and i'm honest.
iank

posted on 16/6/09 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Take a picture of him standing in front of the car that you are selling him.

Make sure it includes the number plate and his full face.

No-one who is honest will mind, and if it all goes wrong you have something for the police.

Matt

Won't make a bit of difference to the chances of a prosecution as it's his word against yours and you can be sure he'll be ready with 'the ones I gave him were real'. You won't get the car back or the cash.

Only safe way is to pay them into the bank before he takes the keys and the v5. Once they're in the banks cash drawer you're fine.

It also protects you against getting mugged on the way to the bank (whether by his mates or just random bad luck).

[Edited on 16/6/09 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Antnicuk

posted on 16/6/09 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
i paid cash for a tin top and the bloke made me meet him the bank and pay it into his account.

If people withdraw large sums of cash the banks usually put it in sealed bags which wont open without being torn. These are checked by 2 members of staff so you know they are ok.

Also, tell the guy to bring his full drivers license with photo card and note down all the details, its your responsibility to know who you are selling the car to and inform DVLA so this is not an unreasonable request, if he doesnt want to do so, then there is likely a reason. You should be putting his driver number on the V5 that YOU send off.

Explain to him that you are wary of taking cash and if he could bring a statement of some sort to show it was withdrawn, all of these little things help and if he keeps trying to avoid them all or comes up with excuses for all of them then be a little more cautious.

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

Danozeman

posted on 16/6/09 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Go to the pub. Easier than the bank,

It would take a fair while to pay that amount of cash into a pub!!

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

clairetoo

posted on 16/6/09 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
quote:

Go to the pub. Easier than the bank,

It would take a fair while to pay that amount of cash into a pub!!

I'll help

[Edited on 16/6/09 by clairetoo]

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

smart51

posted on 16/6/09 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Well, its done. If I've been done, its too late now.

Guinness

posted on 16/6/09 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Well, its done. If I've been done, its too late now.

Your car is sold?

Congratulations are in order (I guess)!

Mike

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.