Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Swaddling babies
JoelP

posted on 17/6/09 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Swaddling babies

I know, its another extreme question for LCbers to answer. But i figure everything is known between us so here goes...

My son is 19 weeks old and only sleeps well if swaddled (google it if you dont know what that is). Trouble is, when he's not happy he can easily pull his arms free, and then wakes up every hour. Wrapped, he can do 12 hours asleep. But its apparently a bad habit to get into.

Any good tips on how to keep him happy and asleep that doesnt rely on wrapping him up?!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

blakep82

posted on 17/6/09 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
having not had kids myself, as i understand it, thats what babies do. especially that young. something he'll sort of grow into i guess

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

twybrow

posted on 17/6/09 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Dont be tempted to keep returning to him if he wakes - hard I know, as you fight your parental instincts. My nephew was 20 months old before he slept his first night through, and even then, it is only 12-5:30.... Good luck!
BenB

posted on 17/6/09 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of babies like to be swaddled when they're young but they grow out of it.

Try one of these:

Amazon linky

as close to a baby straight jacket as you'll get....

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 17/6/09 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Duct tape and cable ties would work well in this situation Joel.....

owelly

posted on 17/6/09 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Both Ojnr and Ojnr2 have used/are using sleeping bags. Ojnr2 is 7 weeks old and she loves to be warm. The sleeping bag is great. I suppose the health visitors will have opinions on swaddling but the old midwife who pulled Ojnr out said swadding was a good way to make them feel safe and they sleep better if they feel safe!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 17/6/09 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
It seems bizarre when people expect that they'll sleep well without being swaddled. They've spent 9 months in a cramped warm environment listening to mum's heartbeat. Suddenly being plonked in a cold bed on their own with nothing to listen to is going to be a bit of a shock...
Omni

posted on 17/6/09 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Grow bags are good to get them into. Both mine loved them, but it does leave there arms free. It will take 2 days or so for the little one to adjust but it will be worth it. You will have to try a little bit of controlled crying so that the little one knows that you will not come everytime they start to cry.

HTH.

O

hobzy

posted on 17/6/09 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't swaddle either of our 2, (youngest is 17 weeks) but both sleep fine on the whole. (insert jammy bugger smiley here). However both had the odd few weeks where they just wouldn't sleep through, so its fairly normal/to be expected. how active is he in the day? Can you try not letting him have too many naps in the day?

If he is teething there's not a lot you can do except hang on in for the ride.

Sleep wise, have you tried a grobag? Arms are left free but no faffing with blankets, easy to bring them downstairs if they are kicking off without a change in temperature, and easy to put them back to bed

Also have a sleep help mp3 if you want it - plays gentle music with a mums heartbeat. Worked wonders with No 1 sprog - fell asleep to it myself a few times...

chris_smith

posted on 17/6/09 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
both of mine slept right through from 11pm to about 6am swaddled or not, lucky arent I

take the advice of not going to them to soon, leave it a couple of minutes then next week add some more time maybe to 5 mins then longer and longer until they dont bother

chris

The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

Omni

posted on 17/6/09 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobzy
Didn't swaddle either of our 2, (youngest is 17 weeks) but both sleep fine on the whole. (insert jammy bugger smiley here). However both had the odd few weeks where they just wouldn't sleep through, so its fairly normal/to be expected. how active is he in the day? Can you try not letting him have too many naps in the day?

Sleep wise, have you tried a grobag? Arms are left free but no faffing with blankets, easy to bring them downstairs if they are kicking off without a change in temperature, and easy to put them back to bed

Also have a sleep help mp3 if you want it - plays gentle music with a mums heartbeat. Worked wonders with No 1 sprog - fell asleep to it myself a few times...

Oi Hobzy.... stop copying my advice

lol

[Edited on 17/6/09 by Omni]

Confused but excited.

posted on 17/6/09 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
"Sleep wise, have you tried a grobag? Arms are left free but no faffing with blankets,"
I have used these with great success for tomatoes.

Swaddling has worked well for thousands of years.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Babies love it, trendy health workers with a degree and no kids appear not to.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

maartenromijn

posted on 17/6/09 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
What a topic for LCB's!

Swaddling is no problem if you don't make a problem of it. With my children it was over in a couple of weeks (at least that's what I can remember... )

Why not take advantage of this 12 hour sleep to go and build a car??

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

adrianreeve

posted on 17/6/09 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the grobags, they worked a treat for our two.

Cheers

Adrian

Benzine

posted on 17/6/09 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
all-knowing gf says swaddling is not a bad habit at all

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve G

posted on 17/6/09 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
Duct tape and cable ties would work well in this situation Joel.....

Damn - you beat me to it with the duct tape suggestion!!!

He'll definately be SVA complient with regards to radiused edges. Probably fail on emmissions mind!!!

jollygreengiant

posted on 17/6/09 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
What ever makes the little ones happy ( ) is fine, they will grow out of and change all habits eventually.

I/We were spoilt, First born slept minimum of 6 hours from first night and just got longer. 2nd night home he slept for about 15hrs .

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

hobzy

posted on 17/6/09 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Omni
quote:
Originally posted by hobzy

Oi Hobzy.... stop copying my advice

lol

[Edited on 17/6/09 by Omni]

Blimey both posted at exactly the same time must by a lottery ticket

StevieB

posted on 17/6/09 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
As other people have said, grobags work well - we found our boy always needed the little cotton scratch mits on as he had a habit of thrashings his arms around a lot and always had a few scratches on his face as a result.

Just wait till they;re nearly 2, when you'll find that the problem of whether to swaddle or not pals into insignificance compared to having the house trashed by a crayon weilding toddler twice daily with 16 hour shifts of misbehaviour at weekends (I've done nothing to encourage this boystrous behaviour, honest )

Peteff

posted on 17/6/09 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
My mum taught us how to wrap the kids up to put them to sleep. The secret is to wrap them up so tight that they wear themselves out trying to get free.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Fozzie

posted on 17/6/09 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Absolutely nowt wrong with swaddling.....

My daughter (eldest) would scream the place down if she wasn't swaddled, as soon as she was wrapped up.....peaceful......

My son (middle), also loved to be 'snug'......

However...son number 2, hated it...but then he was no trouble getting to sleep...that's all he seemed to do...eat and sleep....

As said, babies have been swaddled since time began......grobags are brill...

As they get a bit older, and spend a bit more time awake in the day, they will have plenty of 'play' time......as my daughter got older she always liked to be tucked into bed tightly at night......

The boys just liked their 'snugglies'.....bit of soft blanket... aka blankie....

One thing is for sure, babies are not born clutching their own 'workshop manual'...and every baby is different.....you will find what your son likes best.......

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

JoelP

posted on 17/6/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
My mum taught us how to wrap the kids up to put them to sleep. The secret is to wrap them up so tight that they wear themselves out trying to get free.

We call him Houdini He has one arm free before the other is even in

Right now he's fast asleep, but i had to double swaddle him

Cheers for the advice chaps. I can do controlled crying with the best of them but after 45 mins you feel you're taking the piss! Also have grobags but i think its the arms that wake him up. We had stopped swaddling but started again last week and he managed 12 hours, previously he might be up every few hours. Also teething now

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

SteveWalker

posted on 17/6/09 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
They're all different and it's best to just go with what works for you. You may be lucky and get over this stage quickly or you may not ....

Our first woke every 2 to 2-1/2 hours and was awake every single night from midnight to half-two, it was hell. The interval gradually stretched to 3 to 3-1/2 hours and then at 7 weeks he started sleeping through - now he's 5-1/2 and the problem is just getting him to go to sleep at all!

The second started at 2 to 2-1/2 hours, slowly increaded to 4-1/2 and started sleeping through at 7 months. He's now 3-1/2 and does mutual battle with the first until they both drop off.

The third started at 4 hours and stayed there for 12 months - he only started sleeping through when I finished converting my study and he got his own bedroom. He's now 16 months.

As you can tell, we have a somewhat noisy and busy household - I'm still suffering from sleep deprivation though, as my wife likes to get to bed late and disturb my sleep!

[Edited on 17/6/09 by SteveWalker]

Steve G

posted on 17/6/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Bungy ropes - thats the answer!! Ratchet straps if that doesnt work.
matt.c

posted on 17/6/09 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the grobags. My little monster would only sleep through the night when we put her in her own room. A little tip is to raise the cot/moses basket at the head end about 2 inches (an argos book works really well) and roll a couple of baby blankets up and place one each side of them. This gives them the feeling of being swaddled even though there not.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.