Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Abingdon trackday July
scutter

posted on 22/6/09 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Abingdon trackday July

After having a good time at Lydden, I'd thought I'd try another this time closer to home.

Anyone fancy joining me at Abingdon on the 24th July? from what i can gather they book up quite quickly so the normal "I'll hold out to see if it rains" doesn't normally work.

Linky , Cost is £119 and noise limit is 100dB.

If enough interest i'll drop them a line to see about discounts.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GeoffT

posted on 22/6/09 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Dan, yup I should be ok for that. Unfortunately my pal with the towing rig can't make that date so I'd have to drive the car there, but it's a lot nearer than Lydden, so not too bad.

About time AA relay earned their cash anyway......

whitestu

posted on 22/6/09 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
I fancy coming along, but the noise limit worries me. Any idea how strict they are?

Stu

[Edited on 22/6/09 by whitestu]

GaryM

posted on 22/6/09 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
I could be tempted.
scutter

posted on 22/6/09 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Stu, I can ask about at the local 7 club and see, also you could get your flask back, might even fill it for you

Goeff, I won't be trailering there, but my towcar and trailer are only 20min away if anything bad happens.

ATB Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GeoffT

posted on 22/6/09 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the trailering offer Dan.

It shouldn't be necessary though, as the AA breakdown booklet states (rather surprisingly...!) that trackdays are covered by their scheme. With my current lack of decent oil pressure I might be testing that out...

You can put me down as a 'definite' for the day though.....

JUD

posted on 22/6/09 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Dan, count me in on this. Only proviso will be if a blagged day at Cadwell conflicts.

Cheers

Martin

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

whitestu

posted on 23/6/09 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Stu, I can ask about at the local 7 club and see, also you could get your flask back, might even fill it for you

Thanks Dan

I've got a Db meter at home, just not sure how accurate it is. I'll have a go at measuring it this weekend. If all is OK I'm up for it assuming I can get the day off.

Stu

scutter

posted on 23/6/09 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Bugger, the usual suspects again, that'll be me at the back again

ATB Dan.

JUD

posted on 23/6/09 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scutter
Bugger, the usual suspects again, that'll be me at the back again

ATB Dan.

Get Cheffy to stick some wheels on one of his chassis... you will be quicker than that !

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

scutter

posted on 23/6/09 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Worry is it might corner better then my car.

I've Emailed Motorsport events to ask about discounts, still awaiting a reply.

ATB Dan.

Jasper

posted on 25/6/09 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Just been pointed to this thread after starting a new one. Hope to be doing this with a mate in his Caterham as well, just got to sort out a few bits first, maybe book it tomorrow.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

GeoffT

posted on 25/6/09 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Just been pointed to this thread after starting a new one. Hope to be doing this with a mate in his Caterham as well, just got to sort out a few bits first, maybe book it tomorrow.

......your remarks about the circuit may be worth repeating here Jasper, might encourage a few more 'maybe's' to have a go.....

Jasper

posted on 25/6/09 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, so as I was saying in the thread I just deleted:

Airfield track days are an excellent way to drive your car in a way you wouldn't necessarily do on the road, without the somewhat daunting prospect of driving on a proper racing circuit. I know the first time I went around Donny and Brands the pulse rate was pretty high, not wanting to end up in the gravel and getting the tow truck out, or hitting a solid barrier.

Airfield are brilliant as there's nothing to hit, just acres of flat grass beyond the already very wide expanse of tarmac/concrete. The worse thing your going to hit is a cone, and as there no overtaking around corners the chances of taking somebody else are are minimal.

So you can spend the day getting use to getting the rear end sideways and finding the limits of handling, braking, etc without any real risks to yourself, other people or your car, or your license for that matter.

And you tend to get more novices at airfield days, as the more experience people move onto circuits.

So if your thinking about taking your car off road, then they really are the best place to start, and until your driven a seven like it was meant to be driven you really don't know what you're missing.

One last thing, if your worried about your car and tires and brakes etc, don't, our cars are so light it doesn't have a huge impact on tire and brake wear, much less so than in a tin-top.

Hope that gets a few more of you thinking about having a go.

scutter

posted on 25/6/09 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Sweet, we'll see you there Jasper, I've yet to see the new beast.

To add to Jaspers comments, you've no need to limit yourselfs to 7's. Any car can be fun just look at the current bunch of clios and fiestas that are having a great time and seeing what the old hot hatch can do.

If your worried about the track on airfield check out this youtube link taken from a westy only 6 days ago.

I've had a responce from MSE about discounts it reads as follows;

Hi Daniel,

Many thanks for the email and we would of course be thrilled to have a group of you at one of our events. I am sure you appreciate our events are very good value for money and therefore we cannot offer a discount on the event price however for groups of 10 or more we offer a free lesson worth £20 for each main driver.

Our Abingdon event in July is filling fast, I would therefore suggest that if you would like a group of you to book in let me know how many of you there are and I can hold the places for you.

I hope this and if you require any additional information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kindest regards,

Natasha

So, come on you lot. ATB Dan.

Jasper

posted on 25/6/09 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Not looking so good for me now, got a work thing booked, gonna try and get out of it.....

JUD

posted on 25/6/09 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Watched the vid. Looks good.

Dan, what's the plan - are you going to block some places or should we do our own thing? If you are booking it then you will need to see how we sort payment. Would be easiest if we all paid separately - if you get to your 10 headcount then we can give names to the organisers and sort the tuition on the day.

If you are worried about speed then stick Cheffy in with me

Cheers

Martin

ETA: Should know about Cadwell this weekend.

[Edited on 25/6/09 by JUD]

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

Jasper

posted on 26/6/09 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ditched the work commitment and just paid my fee, yeehah ... it's been a few years since the last one and I'm seriously looking forward to it.

Hopefully I'll be able to raise the £380 I need before then to get it rolling roaded and properly set up, otherwise I'll just be running the base map which won't be anyhting like as much fun.

Johneturbo

posted on 26/6/09 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
I'm really tempted with this(just checked availability) just a bit worried about the noise limit, is it a drive by limit?

i have a road legal Akropovic can but i don't know how loud it is!

not taken the mnr on track and it has to be done

dan__wright

posted on 26/6/09 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
i would but cars not ready for track yet
need to swap the diff, get a new end can, get it mapped & some sump mods before i can get out there

[Edited on 26/6/09 by dan__wright]

Jasper

posted on 26/6/09 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
You've got 4 weeks man, what's the problem

scutter

posted on 26/6/09 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
I've confirmed my booking.
Dan, can you not find a helpful person with a noise meter? Your ZX10 will have enough power no matter what the diff, that just leaves to sump, sure a mornings work

ATB Dan.

GeoffT

posted on 26/6/09 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Just made my booking. I called myself a novice as I haven't been here before - if that doesn't work out hopefully I can change that on the day. Which group do you guys go for?

[Edited on 26/6/09 by GeoffT]

dan__wright

posted on 26/6/09 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
how fast a track is it? Top out at 102 at the mo, got the diff just need the bolt on shafts and hubs. Sump is a billet job so will be expensive, map really needs doing as its way off and im well over the noise limit i have a meter and its bad lol. Im away next week but then im off 4 a week. Will see what i can do!
scutter

posted on 26/6/09 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Geoff, i've booked Novice as well.
Dan, your more than welcome to try my R1 can out as i've just ask Mr907 to knock an silencer up for me.

ATB Dan.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.