Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Not sure what to do!
matt.c

posted on 22/6/09 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure what to do!

Been thinking for a while now about selling the indy for something else. My indy has took all of my budget and now have very little money to improve it. Now after having a kit car i have found its not filled my needs. Dont get me wrong i love the car and its plenty quick enough but its all the running costs ie tax, insurance and the fact that is only really usable in the summer months.
Thought about having a superbike but im thinking that would only last for a "fling" and the other idea is to sell the indy to fund a Karting outfit and go racing?

Both the bike and Kart would be much easier to get to places ie tracks.

Im scared to sell the indy and regret it and never get the chance to have one again. In my ideal world i would have them all but budget dont stretch to it.

eccsmk

posted on 22/6/09 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
i used to race karts
trust me the indy will be cheaper!!

the best thing is to go to work in it and that'll help change your mind

at the end of the day tho there really is only one person who can make the decision.
best of luck with what vere you decide mate

graememk

posted on 22/6/09 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
running the indy would be cheaper than kart racing tust me

BenB

posted on 22/6/09 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
If you go for a superbike just make sure you sign the donor forms before you go for the test drive.

I'm not wishing anything bad here. But the figures speak for themselves- ONLY twice as many people get killed in cars each year as on m/bikes... How many cars are there for each motorbike.....

Leather does not a crumple zone make....

I'd just get full weather gear and go touring with the Tour7 list.... that adds a whole different spin to owning a Seven from just quick blats in the summer....

mark chandler

posted on 22/6/09 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Humm superbike, I have one of those and they are great.

but..... If you only want to use the Indy for summer months then the bike will also succumb.

You also need to think hard about this, I have had my fireblade for about 6 years now, had an VFR400 before that for a couple of years, now its just poked in my garage.

The reason for this is that last year I rode to the cataluna moto GP, fantastic riding in France and Spain but upon returning to England watched my mate fall off in front of me which has put me off.

The English roads are appalling which takes away a lot of the joy.

Big bikes are something you do to get it out of your blood, not something to keep doing IMHO, just to dangerous in the UK these days.

Have you tracked your Indy yet ?

Do not worry about getting a new bike either, I can ride my 893 blade as fast as my mate can go on his 2008 R1 on the bends, you can pick up a good one for £1500 and learn the art.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 22/6/09 by mark chandler]

Nash

posted on 22/6/09 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Matt, I endurance raced Rotax Max karts for 5 years right across Europe and even at Club level it is hugely expensive. Having said that it is a very rewarding past time. In my opinion if you have a bike you may as well keep the car (and I rode bikes for 15 years before karting).

As said previously it is your call but try out each, There are arrive and drive seats available for 2 stroke karting at most circuits. Hire a bike and see what suits you.

Decide in haste repent at leisure

Good luck..........Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

matt.c

posted on 22/6/09 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Not tracked yet as it seems to cost a fortune for a trackday when you include the day @ £199 plus fuel for the day and costs of brakes etc. You could probably say good bye to £300 per day!! I just cant afford that.

Guinness

posted on 22/6/09 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Keep the Indy.

You don't HAVE to upgrade it (yet!)

I've never seen you drive, but I can almost be certain, that you could be quicker. I thought I was reasonably quick until I went out with an instructor driving round Croft. Made me realise I hadn't even been trying!!

Do you blat with a group of other 7's? I can honestly say that blatting / touring with the NE7ER's is brilliant and IMHO what 7ing is all about.

If I was you, I'd blat as frequently as I could afford to put fuel in it. Then try it on a trackday. Finally, join the Tour 7 list and try a mini tour!

As for trackdays being expensive, yes they are, BUT, they can be done on the cheap. The NE7ER's hire Middlesbrough / Teesside Autodrome on two Monday's per year, once in Spring and once in Autumn. We do it on a not for profit basis, just paying the track fees, marshalls, first aid.

More clubs should contact their local tracks and try to negotiate a deal.

Mike

JUD

posted on 22/6/09 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure I get the logic on how a bike or cart would be less expensive to run than the Indy, or that you would get more use of them since I would imagine their use would be weather dependant as well?

Have I missed the point?

As for tracking the Indy - get on an airfield day. Not as good as track as they are normally a bit flat, but not a lot to hit. They are normally cheaper than circuit days - I think MSE days start at £99. Add 40-60 litres of fuel and the travel costs to/from and you are done. Wear and tear will be in the tyre department - there is not a lot to stop on an Indy, so brakes should be fine for quite a few runs out on TDs.

Cheers

Martin

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

matt.c

posted on 22/6/09 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JUD
Not sure I get the logic on how a bike or cart would be less expensive to run than the Indy, or that you would get more use of them since I would imagine their use would be weather dependant as well?

Have I missed the point?

I was thinking that i could fund a karting season with the money by selling the indy but i now think it costs much more than i expected.

The bike idea was just to replace the indy but like other have said about the death rate and its really putting me off that idea!!

flak monkey

posted on 22/6/09 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Matt, do I need to come over there and give you a slap?

Keep the Indy what ever you do, they are a great toy and you would regret it loads if you sold it. You wont have the chance to build something like that again for a long time. If you think the indy is impractical then you seriously cant be considering a superbike! Have you been on one for a longish ride? They are hellishly uncomfortable and even less practical than a seven.

You dont need to upgrade anything, its quick enough as it is, though it does need a good suspension setting session! Maybe this would make all the difference to how the car feels.

You only need to pay insurance and tax for half the year too if you take it off the road in the winter

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

matt.c

posted on 22/6/09 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey

I do think i need one!

graememk

posted on 22/6/09 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
YES

quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey

I do think i need one!

fazerruss

posted on 23/6/09 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Easy this have both car and bike. You will just have to quit the cigs,boose,drugs and hookers

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

omega0684

posted on 23/6/09 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
havent you only had it on the road for a few months?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 23/6/09 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
I use a bike everyday to work and for most times I'm just by myself, they suck in the rain worse than any car and often are very cold. I only use mine so much due to me getting home far easier and the running costs for a 125cc bike are stupidly low it doesn’t make sense to use anything else.

I’d also agree with BenB as your more like to just die on a superbike, I’m the only one out of my friends who hasn’t had a crash, some of them had huge ones. Bikes are not for going fast on.

As above simply get some proper weather gear and think about getting it comfy like a good heater and making the interior nice and warm. I see you’ve made it just a bare bones car and I’m not surprised your not happy. If you’re going to use a car long term it needs to be pleasant to be in and not just bare panels and GRP seats. Really you’ve just built a 4 wheel superbike and it’s as impractical as one too.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 23/6/09 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
I haven't been in mine for ages.

Then 2 weeks ago I had a long run in Jaspers Stryker followed by one in Conrod's Locost.

The difference between having a comfy seat, a windscreen, etc. etc. was so great. It's inspired me to get on with the screen fitting in my car.. made all the difference to the enjoyment (as a passenger anyway!). We could even talk normally at 80mph rather than shouting in ears etc.!

Get a screen, hood and doors for yours, and some seat padding. You'll be amazed at the comfort increase levels and more importantly you can use it in any weather!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.